Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Savage Stevens 200 .223

Options
  • 23-03-2012 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi lads,
    I'm thinking of trading in my o/u shotty in the rfds. Originally I was looking for a hornet but was advised on getting the .223.
    The plan was to get a cheap hornet and upgrade in near future when I have more funds to do so.
    Anyway he brought out a Savage Stevens 200 in .223 for 600.
    Was told the shotty would trade in for 400 so it's 200 remaining. I can't remember the make of the scope was told it's just an average scope priced at 200 new.
    Main downfall is that the rifle isn't threaded for a mod.
    Any of you lads familiar with the savage stevens? just looking for some advise.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

It will do half inch groups with .223 @100yrds out of the box. That's all i know about savage. Some people love them. They cant be bad. I think it be a good rifle. Hope its lucky for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Only held one briefly in a rfd a few years ago but remember that it was one of the worst if not the worst stocks I have had in my hands.

It was the plastic stock I held but really did not like it, although I have never shot one so cannot comment on accuracy or anything else just that I didnt like the stock!

* plenty of .223's to be got for that money in good makes such as cz or remington.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Alan 1990

Thanks lads, yeah was told it was accurate, wasn't a fan of the stock either to be honest was plastic also but I'm just looking for sometime to do the job until I can afford something better haven't said that I don't want a useless piece of s**t that will be worthless when I go to trade it in, and accurate, would Like to reach out to 250-300 yds on rabbits maybe a bit further for plinking. I'm raging I can't remember the make if the scope I may ring tomorrow and ask. So you think It would be worth the with 200e with the trade in?
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Alan 1990 wrote: »
    Thanks lads, yeah was told it was accurate, wasn't a fan of the stock either to be honest was plastic also but I'm just looking for sometime to do the job until I can afford something better haven't said that I don't want a useless piece of s**t that will be worthless when I go to trade it in, and accurate, would Like to reach out to 250-300 yds on rabbits maybe a bit further for plinking. I'm raging I can't remember the make if the scope I may ring tomorrow and ask. So you think It would be worth the with 200e with the trade in?
    Thanks again

I personally don't, for the 600 euro mark you should have the pick of a few quality rifles in .223.

Ring a few dealers and see what they have to offer, alot of dealers have too much .223's and are keen to sell them on so ya could get a great deal!

I personally don't, for the 600 euro mark you should have the pick of a few quality rifles in .223.

Ring a few dealers and see what they have to offer, alot of dealers have too much .223's and are keen to sell them on so ya could get a great deal![/Quote]

I think he is offering me 400 for the shotty though because I bought it off him and it's still in perfect condition. I don't know if another dealer would give me that much suppose I can call around and see.
    The rfd did say that he does get quite a few .223's in regularly as trade ins etc. To come back next week again and see. That's if I don't go a head with the savage.
    Just the idea is to spend as little money as possible I dont want to go all out on this rifle because I will be getting something better maybe towards the end of the year or so.
    Cheers

• Advertisement

Ok got the scope details, it's a rhino 6-24x50 so 200e for the rifle and scope. Is it a good buy?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

From a quick Google, those scope look to have been less than £90, and found one that sold second hand for £55. Can't find any new ones for sale.
    So say scope is about €100 worth, that's the rifle working out about €500.
    Should get better makes second hand for there abouts.
    Is the savage new or second hand?
    Was tempted to take a second hand one myself in same calibre from a dealer for less a while back for a bit cheaper, couldn't in the end. Maybe it was a different stock cos it felt more hogue than plastic. Done a bit of research, and apparently they shoot well.
    But if your not liking the stock, you might better off waiting til something more suitable shows up. Something should.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Dachipster

What shotty have you got? Just asking, apologies for changing subject.

dos29 wrote: »
    From a quick Google, those scope look to have been less than £90, and found one that sold second hand for £55. Can't find any new ones for sale.
    So say scope is about €100 worth, that's the rifle working out about €500.
    Should get better makes second hand for there abouts.
    Is the savage new or second hand?
    Was tempted to take a second hand one myself in same calibre from a dealer for less a while back for a bit cheaper, couldn't in the end. Maybe it was a different stock cos it felt more hogue than plastic. Done a bit of research, and apparently they shoot well.
    But if your not liking the stock, you might better off waiting til something more suitable shows up. Something should.

Thanks for the research lad, it's second hand. I was thinking I could cover the stick up with camo tape. Think I'll keep an eye out for a couple of weeks and see if anything better comes for roughly the same amount. If not I'll go a head and get the savage

Dachipster wrote: »
    What shotty have you got? Just asking, apologies for changing subject.

Its a forest favourit o/u, was a great gun to start out with just prefair rifles get a lot more use out of my .22 than the shotty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

Alan PM sent

4200fps wrote: »
    Alan PM sent

Pm replied

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

My first rifle was a Savage Stevens in 223. I had it for a few years and really liked it.

The only downside to that rifle is that the trigger could be better, but overall it is an excellent piece of kit for the money. For your money you get the same barrel and receiver as the more expensive model savages and the stock is still free floated. I actually liked the stock on mine. I liked the straight comb, and found that it flexed less than similar Remington, Tikka and Steyr rifles.

Accuracy will likely be better than most are capable of. I shot rabbits and foxes out to 300 yards with mine with no trouble.

Having owned a Remington 700, I'd rather have the savage with a trigger job; which I had to do to the Remington anyway.

I'd say go for it and when you start to become proficient with the rifle, change the trigger and stock for something that suits your taste. Sure you won't know what you like until you try something anyway, so you might as well start off with a cheaper rifle.

To get the most out of any rifle, you need to buy decent glass. If you are on a budget, I'd look at second hand Leupold optics or try pick up a Hungarian Schmidt and Bender 8x56. If you go with the Savage, just buy warne mounts for it as they are as good as anything else out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭f100zardoz

Hey, looking for some advice on scopes. I just moved up from a CZ.22 and put a deposit on a .223 tikka t3. Want to shoot targets at 200m+ and am looking for a scope with mil dots that can handles these ranges and more. Any advice would be welcomed. Price range 300 max. Thanks.

Advertisement