Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooting HTC Desire HD

• 23-03-2012 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

I want to root my Desire HD to erase some of the factory set apps and for various other reasons. I've no idea how to go about it, any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

This method is much better than the visionary+ method that is linked to from the above, and much less problematic:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1259821

Just make sure you've read everything in the documentation through BEFORE attempting it, so that you know exactly what's involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭King Krib

Anybody ever used oneclickroot.com? I still never got round to rooting my Desire HD, think the time has finally come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭Nagin

King Krib wrote: »
    Anybody ever used oneclickroot.com? I still never got round to rooting my Desire HD, think the time has finally come.

I would stay away from it. Check out xda developer's and do some reading up as its easier to troubleshoot if you know the basic lingo

This is an easy way to root your device and give you custom recovery......it even has a helpful video :)
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=857537

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

ugh, is the gold card still needed for the DHD?

things might have improved since I rooted herselfs phone but it was a pita at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

This is the problem i have with attempting to root..

There have been three different methods for doing it and a lot more that i dont know about!

Can anyone provide a link where they literally outline from start to finish?

I am talking not only about root, but also the flashing of a custom rom. I am assuming they are two distinct steps?! What's the difference? When am i rooted?! etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

"Root" is a concept from linux which means if a user has root access, they have total control over a system. In order to install/flash a custom ROM onto a phone, one needs root access to their phone/device. Once the phone is "rooted", you can install a recovery program (like clockworkmod), boot the phone into it, and install a ROM from there. Then, when the phone reboots, you'll have your shiny new custom ROM installed. (I think that's the basics of the operation, if I missed something I'll edit this post).

"Root" is a concept from linux which means if a user has root access, they have total control over a system. In order to install/flash a custom ROM onto a phone, one needs root access to their phone/device. Once the phone is "rooted", you can install a recovery program (like clockworkmod), boot the phone into it, and install a ROM from there. Then, when the phone reboots, you'll have your shiny new custom ROM installed. (I think that's the basics of the operation, if I missed something I'll edit this post).

OK so in terms of starting..

- ROOT PHONE
    - FLASH ROM (Completely separate process)

So i can actually have the phone rooted and use Stock ROM and so in theory be unaware im rooted until i actually need to flash a ROM (or have time to learn :cool:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Lombardo86 wrote: »
    OK so in terms of starting..

- ROOT PHONE
    - FLASH ROM (Completely separate process)

So i can actually have the phone rooted and use Stock ROM and so in theory be unaware im rooted until i actually need to flash a ROM (or have time to learn :cool:)

Yes you can, it's a seperate process (Although a lot of users consider rooting to be a part of installing a rom, as they dont use the root access for anything else) there are some apps on the app store that require root access to work properly (see Titanium backup as an example). You'll know you're rooted on a stock rom if the superuser app is present in your drawer.

May well try this tonight if i can find a clear and consise thread on XDA for a DHD.. That way i have my day to day phone in case i brick the thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭Nagin

This is the easiest and safest method to root your DHD. It give good clear instructions
    http://tau.shadowchild.nl/attn1/?p=74

If you cant get root by using this method please maybe consider going back to your Nokia 3212 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭King Krib

Will this work with an imac though?

Advertisement