Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much is a real Chanel bag?

• 23-03-2012 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

My girlfriend was on about it. I don't know anything about fashion. I would like to get her one. I hear it's about 2000 euros. Is that right?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Depends on size, material and style of bag! The "classic" is the Chanel 2.55, and you're looking at €1,500+ for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

Lucky girl!! Make sure ya get the right one if your spending that kinda of money!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I was in Brown Thomas recently pricing the classic flap bags. I will never afford one but I like to look! The medium in black caviar leather with gold or silver hardware was about €3300.00

chanel_255.png

Apparently Karl Lagerfeld, head designer at Chanel, is disappointed Chanel bags have become so popular so the price of the bags often go up each season to make them less attainable for the average shopper...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Kohl

I was in Brown Thomas recently pricing the classic flap bags. I will never afford one but I like to look! The medium in black caviar leather with gold or silver hardware was about €3300.00

chanel_255.png

Apparently Karl Lagerfeld, head designer at Chanel, is disappointed Chanel bags have become so popular so the price of the bags often go up each season to make them less attainable for the average shopper...

I see. Yes its very expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

Kohl wrote: »
    I see. Yes its very expensive.

Waste of money in my opinion. If I had a boyfriend [!] I would KILL him if he spent over 3k on a HANDBAG!!!! That's just me though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Price for the classic Chanel flap has increased by an insane amount in the last few years - it's practically doubled in price since about 3 years ago. They are around €3k now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Have a look at netrouge.com, they have a couple of second hand ones and they are genuine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

My girlfriend was on about it. I don't know anything about fashion. I would like to get her one. I hear it's about 2000 euros. Is that right?

Rather than get a brand which trades simply on the fact that it is expensive as opposed to any inherent superior materials or workmanship why not buy something made from a local maker try :http://www.anafaye.com/

This lady will also make one-off items specifically to a customers design.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 tof1974j

you should take the GF on holiday to either China / Thailand
    and buy her 10 chanel bags as the quality is unreal..as when
    she is in a bar at nite nobody can tell the difference as i
    am just back and they were for €10 per bag any size unreal.:)

tof1974j wrote: »
    you should take the GF on holiday to either China / Thailand
    and buy her 10 chanel bags as the quality is unreal..as when
    she is in a bar at nite nobody can tell the difference as i
    am just back and they were for €10 per bag any size unreal.:)

Counterfeiting is illegal, please do not encourage illegal activity on Boards.

Any further posts recommending countetrfeiting will be deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Abit mental to buy one here, surely you can get them cheaper over in the us, a holiday out of it aswell?:o

I don't think there's a massive difference in prices of luxury goods in the US.

Twee. wrote: »

Still wouldnt mind a holiday there, now I just need a very very generous boyfriend.....hmmmm

booboo88 wrote: »
    Still wouldnt mind a holiday there, now I just need a very very generous boyfriend.....hmmmm

Haha totally! I thought you were implying that you would get a holiday and a bag for the price of the bag here.

Haha totally! I thought you were implying that you would get a holiday and a bag for the price of the bag here.

Oh hell no. I bloody wish, I would have been over and back if that was the case. But I think in ops case, he's best off to take her shopping, rather than surprise her, EXPENSIVE mistake if she doesnt like it, women and handbags are
    not to be messed with :D

As my ex boyfriends mother biught me a guess bag for xmas, didnt really like it but I could hardly say no:o

There is - European fashion house goods are WAY more expensive in the US than over here. Dublin is usually slightly more expensive than Paris (by a very small bit, depending on the price of the bag) but it's still way cheaper than buying in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭beauty101

tinkerbell wrote: »
    There is - European fashion house goods are WAY more expensive in the US than over here. Dublin is usually slightly more expensive than Paris (by a very small bit, depending on the price of the bag) but it's still way cheaper than buying in the US.

Thats actually not true. I'm involved in fashion buying for a luxury retailer in Dublin who stock brands such as Michael Kors, Chloe, DKNY etc and 9 out of 10 times it's cheaper to buy designer goods (especially leather goods) in the US/Asia. With a brand like Chanel, buying their 2.55 flap bag in the US would probably save you at least €100 compared to buying it in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

If I were your girlfriend I wouldn't want you spending €3,000+ on a bag. However, if you are determined to buy her a designer handbag you could try netaporter.com for some ideas on what other more reasonably priced designers are out there - I buy all my handbags from that site and highly recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

beauty101 wrote: »
    Thats actually not true. I'm involved in fashion buying for a luxury retailer in Dublin who stock brands such as Michael Kors, Chloe, DKNY etc and 9 out of 10 times it's cheaper to buy designer goods (especially leather goods) in the US/Asia. With a brand like Chanel, buying their 2.55 flap bag in the US would probably save you at least €100 compared to buying it in Dublin.

I'd have to disagree with that. According to a piece on RTE news earlier this year (January sale I think), BT was flooded with Asian shoppers as designer goods are cheaper here than in the likes of China.

As for the US, I priced a Chanel classic flap in the Chanel shop in the Bellagio, Las Vegas last year - it was $4,400 which is about €3,300 then you have to add your sales tax on top of that. So it's no cheaper. I also saw Louboutins for upwards of $900 (plus sales tax) that are around €700 here.

beauty101 wrote: »

You are incorrect actually - you didn't even read my post properly. I said European fashion house goods are cheaper to buy over here than in the US. You are after naming the likes of Michael Kors, DKNY etc. who are all US based fashion houses. I know for a fact that the likes of Chanel, Hermès, etc. are all FAR more expensive in the US than they are over here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭Shane732

Got one in Milan with my ex back in December. It was €2,500 or so.

Frecking expensive things plus Milan is expensive in general!

Edit: In relation to being cheaper.... I was speaking to some of the sales assistants in the various boutiques in Milan and they all seemed to be saying that there was generally a 3% - 5% discount in the retailers home country but other than that the prices were similar throughout Europe. I'm not sure whether this would have been net or gross of VAT.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement