Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbit and fleas

• 23-03-2012 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi, I just got an 8 week old bunny 2 days ago. I have 3 other bunnies so before I introduce them I always check them for fleas, mites etc.

He has grey-light brown fur and is a miniature lop. When i looked in his fur I noticed tiny light brown specks, and from looking at them for a while I noticed they were moving (sorry, i know it sounds awful). Are these fleas, or mites, or what are they?

Ive kept him away from the other rabbits and have tried not to handle him too much in case we spread anything from him to any of our other rabbits.

Im wondering if anyone can tell me what he has, and if anyone knows any mild treatments for him (dont want anythin too harsh cos he's only a small guy), or any other tips.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Most likely fleas. Best bet is to call into your vets (or ask them when your bringing him in for his vaccinations) and ask them about what treatment to use. I think most spot ons can be used on rabbits. Think the frontline spray can be used on rabbits too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You can buy spot on for fleas online specifically for rabbits. I have used flea treatment for kittens before from the vets but only a drop from the tube. Best to have a chat with an experience rabbit vet to get the right dosage for his size. I can't remember if it was Advantage or another brand I used at the time so double check with the vet. I would also get his Myxi and VHD vax done before introducing him and ensure the other rabbits are vaxed as well Myxi spreads by fleas so it's a good idea to have the bun vet checked just in case.

Let the person you got the bun from know as well if they have other rabbits they need to check them.

Advertisement