Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sphynx

• 23-03-2012 11:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hey, I was wondering if I want to get a Sphynx breed cat, where would I go? Is there any pet shops or so that sell already like trained to toilet and stuff cats? I mean I have uncle in Ukraine, he got cat from some people who was already trained to toilet and stuff, so my uncle just had a litterbox in bathroom and kept door always open, so cat went ther whenever he wanted. So any chance of same thing in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

You would probably have to go to a cat show, theres usually a few on in dublin during the year and get taking to the breeders about acquiring one of their kittens. Pet shops here don't sell cats or dogs but there might be advertisements in the petshops for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

Cats have a natural instinct to hide or bury their poo ... so for the most part, if you provide a nice clean litter box, somewhere the cat has access to and feels comfortable using... they'll use it.

They'll also use your pot plants if you're not careful ;)

Might be worth considering getting in the know about cats before you even think about acquiring a pedigree with maintenance requirements.

Some cats if not cared for properly develope inapproapriate litter habits ...often as a result of the way they were kept - lack of understanding on the owners part.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

I Have owned 5 cats and they all trained themselves to the litter tray. I just brought them to it, rubbed their paws around and they used it. No training involved whatsoever. I wish it was the same for dogs :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Hi there! If you want to get information about getting a certain breed of cat this would be a great place to start, there is a show on April 1st and I'm certain there will be plenty of Sphynx exhibitors and breeders who would be delighted to talk to you about getting a kitten. The last cat show I was at I found everyone so approachable and informative! Here is a link with information about the show. I can't wait to go myself :Dhttp://celticat.ie/2012/02/visiting-the-celticat-cat-show/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

There will be a couple of excellent breeders at the above mentioned show. It is a good opportunity to speak to them and owners about the breed to make sure a sphynx is the cat for you. SABCCI has a list of gccfi registered breeders please make sure you get a registered cat as there are some dodgy breeders out there that are selling sick kittens and no papers and you will have no come back .
    Kitten will be homed between 13 and 16 weeks. It will be litter trained, if it's not there is a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

<snip>

http://media.freeola.com/other/13649/gccficodeofethicsgbgfinalversion.pdf This is what you need to look into when purchasing a kitten.

Personally I can recommend http://www.daddyocats.com/

and <snip>

Both are registered with the GCCFI and are ethical breeders. <snip> which are not recognised by the GCCFI but they are with TICA and you will get paperwork from them.

I would not look into <.> as I have a friend who purchased a kitten from them who is sick and they have never gotten paperwork as the breeders are not registered, they were promised it after neutering.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 RuggieMuffin

Here is my personal opinion based on my experience...

Firstly I cannot recommend a sphynx cat highly enough to everybody - they are amazing cats to have as a pet. They are demanding require a lot of loving and frequent bathing. Personally I find that part of their charm but others wouldn't be so keen on that side of things.

We have on sphynx and many other cats too. We'd get a second sphynx before a second of any other breed we have because they are so perfect. However I'd DEFINITLY NOT get another one from the same breeder we got our first sphynx from.

We thought we were relatively clued into breeders and what to look for but we were wrong. We have had an abolsute nightmare of a time with the breeder mentioned above - <snip> - and had I known what I do now, I'd nevvvvvvvvvvvver have gotten a kitten from him. Our kitten has been sick since the day we got her. From what we have heard from others that got a kitten from that breeder we are lucky in the sense that she's not constantly at the vets (like others are) and she's still alive (like others aren't!) but she's never been 100% healthy and was very sick for a period shortly after we got her. She has one eye that constantly weeps and is forever sneezing. We love her to the ends of the world and would never swap her now but had I known what I do about the breeder before we ever got her, we'd never have gone near him.

We haven't gotten a pedigree cert (our other pedigree cats came with a 5 generation pedigree certificate) and we cannot register her with GCCFI (which is a cat show organisation in Ireland) as the breeder refuses to give us paper work for our kitten stating she is a pedigree cat of two idenitfied cats who are registered with GCCFI. The breeder will not return our calls text or emails. We have had to arrive on his doorstep in an attempt to get paperwork and still have nothing from him.

This isn't a once off occurance either - we learn of others in the same boat every few months. IMHO this breeder is unethical and is purely interested in the money NOT the welfare and health of the cats and/or kittens. It's a disgrace!

My advice is to research the breed, if you still want a sphynx (and you will) then research the breeders. We have recently met the breeders of DaddyOSphynx and I can just say it's such a pity we'd not known them before chosing a sphynx kitten. We will definitely approach them when it comes time for our second one. WAIT for the right breeders or you'll be sorry.... maybe even heartbroken and kittenless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.daddyocats.com/ = :D
    <snip> = :eek::(:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Can I just remind everyone to refrain from posting any information that could lead to legal implications for this site please.

Our policy for pedigree dogs is generally that it is OK to direct people to the kennel clubs and relevant breed clubs for specific sources. Applying the same logic to pedigree cats only one of the breeders mentioned can be found listed on the SABCCI breeders list so I have removed the others.

Please do not recommend any breeder unless you personally have first hand knowledge of them and if they can't be found on a list published by some sort of recognised authority, pass the info on by PM only.

http://www.sphynxkittens.ie/

For Canadian sphynx and Don Spyhnx.

can be found on

http://www.sabcci.com/actual_breeders_page.html

Registered breeders who show their cats.

• Advertisement
Advertisement