Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River Moy 1/2 Marathon 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Murraythree

I have taken part in this half marathon for the last two years and hold a half PB from this course. Recommend it highly as very flat and scenic. Part of the route goes through Belleek Woods for two miles and this section is particularly fast and downhill. Support throughout the course is brilliant with lots of the locals providing extra water stations. Lovely medal and technical top. Also Ballina is an exciting and sociable town if you are thinking of staying over. Hopefully I can have a good crack at beating PB from last year!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Heading down next weekend know the route fairly well. Will give part of it a go. See you in May Murraythree

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Am tempted by this one! Two miles through the Belleek Woods - anyone know what the conditions are like for that? Is it a nice easy trail or would it be the tougher off road type?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭conseng

It's very close to a road surface. Tarred path with small loose chips on it except for 1 or 2 very short sections. Wont cost any time over normal road sections.

Heading down next weekend know the route fairly well. Will give part of it a go. See you in May Murraythree

If you need any info on route PM me. See you in May:D
    macinalli wrote: »
    Am tempted by this one! Two miles through the Belleek Woods - anyone know what the conditions are like for that? Is it a nice easy trail or would it be the tougher off road type?

This is my favourite part of the run. Surface is equivalent to road surface for the difference. There has been huge investment in Belleek Woods the last two years with the entire trail surface been re-done to accommodate wheelchair users. The only concern with the woods is a passing red squirrel may upset your rhythm macinalli!!!

• Advertisement

thanks but should be sound know the route fairly well i am a local
    to much time was spent down belleek woods in my younger days

Said I will give this a bump and see who everyone training is coming along. Signed up for it at the weekend but now I have managed to pull a muscle in my back.
    Looking forward to running the race at home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

strongly considering it, if only because i think i can take a fair chunk off last years time without really killing myself, but im still stiff from last weekends half in cooley...
    still when it comes down to it il probably enter..have to support the local races

Seen on their facebook page that they will have pacers this year.
    "The 6 pace finish times will be: 1hr 30min ,1hr 40min, 1hr 50min, 2hrs , 2hrs 10min and 2hrs 20min."

I will be in the 1.50 pacer group

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

Hoping to do this! Had been planning on it, but everything's up in the air a bit at the moment - a few weeks ago seemed like a great chance to do a local race and improve my half time from Conn. Training hasn't exactly gone as planned tho, so a bit nervous about doing worse on a completely flat course than on a completely hilly course. Not working that weekend tho, so might not have a good excuse!

• Advertisement

yep il be in or around the 1.50 as well hopefully.. not sure whether to run with the group or just pace meself and see how it goes..

For some reason I find it hard to run with a group and always try to head out just ahead of them. I do most of my long runs on my own. But this year trying to make a few changes.
    If I manage to stick with them should be get a new pb.

Training has not really gone to plan finding it hard to do long runs since the marathon and now have a sore back.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭petermijackson

This has been in my plans for a while but have not been doing enough long runs so may struggle...will still give it a go - will prob back off my pb on the course from last year

Also I seen on their Facebook that Gerry Duffy (from 32 marathons in 32 days fame) is running this

This has been in my plans for a while but have not been doing enough long runs so may struggle...will still give it a go - will prob back off my pb on the course from last year

Also I seen on their Facebook that Gerry Duffy (from 32 marathons in 32 days fame) is running this

That's a fairly big coup for them

Have signed up for this, but am in 2 minds about following the 1.30 pacer - don't think that I've done enough hard miles to keep up with them! Will probably decide on the day...

First half of the year and really looking forward to it. Unsure of target time too but figure I will try and push it as course is pretty fast and flat - which helps:D. Best of luck to all taking part.

First half of the year and really looking forward to it. Unsure of target time too but figure I will try and push it as course is pretty fast and flat - which helps:D. Best of luck to all taking part.

Flat and Fast?? In places maybe just dont let the hill out of Belleek on the way out deter you - it levels off after and the course speeds up

well sh*g it, i totally forgot it went out that way.. i did 18k on the course last week but i ran up thru town and up the killala road, so about 6k of it completely wrong..
    ah well good training none the less, hopefully no wind coming down the kilala road this year, was stiff enough at times last year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

I grumbled a bit about the price (€45) but I have to say it was a super race and very well ran. Great marshaling, goodie bag and refreshments afterwards.
    I will be doing this race next year.
    Well done all..........

Rawhead wrote: »
    I grumbled a bit about the price (€45) but I have to say it was a super race and very well ran. Great marshaling, goodie bag and refreshments afterwards.
    Well done all..........

I second that, great race a well organised day. Unfortunately for me I had uncomfortable finish but they even had a seat for me as I crossed the finish line. I had forgotten how hard a half can be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Rawhead wrote: »
    Well done all..........
    Very well organised,acurate course, fine spread afterwards, showers and facilities top class.Goodie bag was on par with the best(they are all junk to me) quality T shirt, bottled water. Course was testing but nice, not a pb course in my view but thats not an issue. All things being equal Id consider it good value in todays market.My only bone of contention is they didnt give prizes on the day, they will be posted out.This is not acceptable, prize winners deserve the recognition of their peers. It seems to be an attitude thats creeping into road racing generaly "everyones money is the same" and competition is a dirty word. Sport without competition is nothing, regardless of your level competition is the driver. Apart from that a very nice road race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Enjoyed this one, my first time running it. I though the route was good, fairly scenic & not too tough. Well organized, there was a problem with my registration but they sorted it quickly. A very friendly setup, with plenty of marshals along the route. I hope to be back to do it next year.

Had to pull out during the week and the organisers were very accommodating in letting me transfer the entry until next year.
    Sound like a good race and there was a few pb's so see ye all next year:D:D

fair play to them with deferring your entry,
    yeah as weve all said its a touch on the expensive side, but its very well done

+1 to the above - a really well run race, but with quibbles about the price. I know that there are other half's that charge the same entry fee, but likewise there are new quality races (such as Bohermeen this year) that show you can offer a quality half marathon for €25. It's something that I think the organisers should look at, as everything else about the race was spot on.

I was curious about todays race - who organised it? What was it for? Based on the posters/entry fee I thought it was a private commercial run, but the race itself had the feel of a real community race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

ultrapercy wrote: »
    My only bone of contention is they didnt give prizes on the day, they will be posted out.This is not acceptable, prize winners deserve the recognition of their peers. It seems to be an attitude thats creeping into road racing generaly "everyones money is the same" and competition is a dirty word. Sport without competition is nothing, regardless of your level competition is the driver.

I totally agree with you.
    Sadly this is a fairly regular occurance with non club organised races these days.

IMO you simply can't beat a club organised race in every way

From what I know this event is organised by local runners for non profit. It has the backing of the athletic club the support from the people of Ballina so naturally there is a real community feel to the race. I have to agree with the comments above this is a very well organised race and the fact that it is growing in popularity is a reflection on this.
    I was delighted with my time, not a PB but close enough:D. Numbers were up this year so there was lots of company en route. I ran with a nice group of three for the last three miles and we encouraged each other home. The last four hundred metres were the toughest, straight stretch to the finish, slight incline, heavy legs and a feeling of sheer exhaustion but a wonderful cheer from the crowds made it all worthwhile. Lots to eat afterwards and lots of chat with the club members. Great to see lots of beginners completing their first half marathon. I have completed at least a dozen halves and the excitement from the beginners bought me right back to my first half when time was irrelevant and all that mattered was getting over the finish line.....and here I am wondering what time I will do it in next year:rolleyes:!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

I had a great day out here as well. Great effort put into this race - before during and after.
    Last year there was a big prize giving ceremony with loads of prizes and recognition so not sure why the change this year. However this race is consistently good and it certainly gave me confidence on a small stage for my first race in a year , after injury.

anyone know how many did it ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭conseng

The results list this morning in the independent lists 298.

Advertisement