Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can rabbits jump!!!!!

Options
  • 23-03-2012 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

hi,
    I've made some raised beds for growing vegetables in my new allotment.

The beds are about 9" high, will rabbits be able to get onto the beds?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

9 inches? Rabbits jump feet!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,455 ✭✭✭✭looksee

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

They will jump that no problem if they want in...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

KoolKid wrote: »
    They will jump that no problem if they want in...

Very true, I used to breed rabbits, when they were left out for a run they would jump on anything. One jumped on the shelf of a cabinet once which was at least a couple of feet off the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

I have a small lion headed looper of a rabbit and she can just over the 600mm gaurds we have on our doors to keep her in certain rooms .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭radiat

any ideas on how i could keep them off my raised bed cheaply. Its in an allotment so doesn't matter what it looks like

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

A double-barrelled shotgun:D:D:D. They are a serious pest to deter when the get a liking for a plot. Short of putting up a 4 ft wall, which is not feasable in the majority of cases, I'm at a loss to advise in an allottment scenario. What are your fellow allottees doing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

A double-barrelled shotgun:D:D:D. They are a serious pest to deter when the get a liking for a plot. Short of putting up a 4 ft wall, which is not feasable in the majority of cases, I'm at a loss to advise in an allottment scenario. What are your fellow allottees doing?

A silenced .22 rifle will make you more popular with the neighbours..if rabbits are a problem they really need to be culled.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭radiat

Degsy wrote: »
    A silenced .22 rifle will make you more popular with the neighbours..if rabbits are a problem they really need to be culled.
    i might go down that route. I don't know how the allotment owner would feel about it

Other people in the allotment are putting up fencing. I don't want to spend the money on that though.

Another thing, what will rabbits eat? I'm planning to plant the following, which will they go for:
    carrots (eh,what's up doc)
    lettuce,
    onions
    scallions
    peas
    beans
    beetroot
    brussels sprouts
    potato
    turnip

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

radiat wrote: »
    i might go down that route. I don't know how the allotment owner would feel about it

Other people in the allotment are putting up fencing. I don't want to spend the money on that though.

Another thing, what will rabbits eat? I'm planning to plant the following, which will they go for:
    carrots (eh,what's up doc)
    lettuce,
    onions
    scallions
    peas
    beans
    beetroot
    brussels sprouts
    potato
    turnip

Gimme a shout if you need somebody to do the deeed!

Rabbits will eat anything that grows above ground although the spuds should be okay as i believe the leaves are poisonous.

• Advertisement
Advertisement