Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ebay wireless gsm alarm units

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

I would not touch them if you where giving them away for free :D

Have a look at the HKC Quantum or a cheaper option would be the power max complete system. Both are fully wire free and can be brought with you when you move out. A GSM can be added for self monitoring and remote access to either alarm. With GSM blockers available on line for so cheap I am surprised they are still selling the GSM to have the alarm monitored by a monitoring station. They really should be using a dual com that polls every 3 minutes to the monitoring station as they have no way of knowing if a signal has be blocked until they don't get a test call from the alarm system.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭cyberblade 918c

altor wrote: »

Have a look at the HKC Quantum or a cheaper option would be the power max complete system. Both are fully wire free and can be brought with you when you move out. A GSM can be added for self monitoring and remote access to either alarm. With GSM blockers available on line for so cheap I am surprised they are still selling the GSM to have the alarm monitored by a monitoring station. They really should be using a dual com that polls every 3 minutes to the monitoring station as they have no way of knowing if a signal has be blocked until they don't get a test call from the alarm system.

yup -€699 introductory price for installation and another €179 for the gsm dialler if no phone line connected. €960 non introduction price with the additional 179 for the gsm unit. Cheers again for the info - with prices like that its making the ebay units seem tempting lol:p

yup -€699 introductory price for installation and another €179 for the gsm dialler if no phone line connected. €960 non introduction price with the additional 179 for the gsm unit. Cheers again for the info - with prices like that its making the ebay units seem tempting lol:p

Ha, they are that cheap as they have no standards to conform too. I know a few people who where tempted, they ended up having to get a proper system installed and the one they bought went in the bin :D
    No live external bell with the P.W system either which is also a drawback. There are better system configurations at better prices out there.

Ha, they are that cheap as they have no standards to conform too. I know a few people who where tempted, they ended up having to get a proper system installed and the one they bought went in the bin :D
    No live external bell with the P.W system either which is also a drawback. There are better system configurations at better prices out there.

cheers lad ... tbh dont even know if the eircom set up had an outdoor bell

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If looking at Eircom here are some of the questions you need to ask:

Are all downstairs and accessible windows are covered by sensors & contacts?
    Should be yes...
    Does service, maintenance & monitoring cover all callouts and labour in relation to maintenance & repair of your alarm system.
    Should be yes.(With any exceptions explained)
    If not whats the charge for extra calls or calls over a defined time.
    Does the system include a fully working live external bell box with siren & strobe? Should be yes.
    If not, how much extra is this?
    Without this your alarm is not heard outside your home. It also means you are committed to on-going monitoring fees.

If monitored how long is the contract?
    Can the alarm be self-monitored via voice messages with no annual fees.? Should be yes.
    Can a monitored system be changed to this at any time?
    Should be yes.

Can the system be switched to another land line provider if needed?
    Should be yes.
    If not why not?

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    If looking at Eircom here are some of the questions you need to ask:

Are all downstairs and accessible windows are covered by sensors & contacts?
    Should be yes...
    Does service, maintenance & monitoring cover all callouts and labour in relation to maintenance & repair of your alarm system.
    Should be yes.(With any exceptions explained)
    If not whats the charge for extra calls or calls over a defined time.
    Does the system include a fully working live external bell box with siren & strobe? Should be yes.
    If not, how much extra is this?
    Without this your alarm is not heard outside your home. It also means you are committed to on-going monitoring fees.

If monitored how long is the contract?
    Can the alarm be self-monitored via voice messages with no annual fees.? Should be yes.
    Can a monitored system be changed to this at any time?
    Should be yes.

Can the system be switched to another land line provider if needed?
    Should be yes.
    If not why not?

Thanks k.Kid .... thats exactly why im not going for it - and to be honest the systems on ebay have a hell of a lot more for a hell of a lot less :eek:

eircom -
    3 door contacts - no window contacts - as the rep said himself ... they cause too many false alarms :rolleyes:
    2 motion sensors only.
    No external box - however condition of contract states you must display a DUMMY box for advertisment for Eircom !!! maybe I should ask them to pay me to have it installed as id be adervertising it lol

and they want 699€ to install 3 wireless door contacts and 2 pir's with an additional 179€ for a gsm dialer. think people must be nuts to go with that !!

thanks for the replies ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

3 door contacts - no window contacts - as the rep said himself ... they cause too many false alarms :rolleyes:
    ;)
    Unbelieveable..:eek:
    Thank God other companies don't think along the same lines...:eek:
    Sure don't put up any detection devices... less chance of false alarms.

Here's an idea...........Install if properly, less chance of false alarms.
    No working bell = less chance of you cancelling your monitoring
    or is it maybe a real bell might false alarm as well..:eek:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Koolkid i was told my bell would have to be disconnected if i went with eircom for monitoring as it wouldnt work any more and id need their special bell. And they were aware of the HKC system i had

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭horse7

can anyone buy the HKC Quantum from the supplier in ballymount.

Most suppliers would be happy to take your money...

• Advertisement

Koolkid i was told my bell would have to be disconnected if i went with eircom for monitoring as it wouldnt work any more and id need their special bell. And they were aware of the HKC system i had

At lease you know better.
    There special bell is just a dummy which is what they seem to think everyone else is :D

horse7 wrote: »
    can anyone buy the HKC Quantum from the supplier in ballymount.

Yes, any supplier will sell you the Quantum system, just be aware it comes in a kit form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

At lease you know better.
    There special bell is just a dummy which is what they seem to think everyone else is :D

Haha ..wasnt given a decent reason
    Also they dont alert you of the risks of an easy reach phoneline being cut.. The same response is that they will know immediately .... How is it they can get away with saying this... They make it as tho the panels are flawless

Haha ..wasnt given a decent reason
    Also they dont alert you of the risks of an easy reach phoneline being cut.. The same response is that they will know immediately .... How is it they can get away with saying this... They make it as tho the panels are flawless

That was because there was none :D

Nobody knows the line is down until the test call does not ring the monitoring station. They do make it out to be flawless but then again, the sales people selling the system don't know any better.

Advertisement