Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training Help Required

Options
  • 24-03-2012 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Firstly would like to apologize for the long post...Secondly I hope this is the correct forum...

So I have been training in the gym for nearly 3 months now, and I've been working off a three day spilt, which turned into a two day spilt...

So as it stands, I am currently doing
    Mondays: Arms & Shoulders
    Tuesdays: Legs, Abs, Back & Chest
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday - Sunday: Cycling

So as it stands, my program is
    Monday
    Seated Hammer Curls 3x10
    Seated Tricep Extension 3x10
    Bicep Curls 3x10
    Tricep Kickbacks 3x10
    21's 3x10
    Tricep Pulldown 3x10

Delt Raises 3x10
    Delt Rows 3x10
    Arny Press 3x10
    Shrugs 3x10

Tuesday
    Dumbell Squats 3x10
    Dumbell Step Ups 3x10
    Calf Raises 3x10
    Leg Extension 3x10
    Leg Curl 3x10
    Leg Press 3x10
    (Plank, Side Plank, Side Plank) x3

Back Bridge
    Back Extension
    Flys 3x10
    Chest Pullover 3x10
    Bench Press or Chest Press 3x10
    Lat Rows 3x10
    Lat Pulldown 3x10
    Seated Row Machine 3x10

I have noticed an improvement in certain areas in terms of strength and even definition...

But I have noticed I have went a little backwards in terms of what I'm lifting now and what I was lifting at the start. An example of this would be the arny press...
    23/1 Arms & Shoulders*each weight x10reps
    Seated Hammer Curls(Dumbbells*2) 8kg,10kg,12kg
    Seated Tricep Extension(Dumbbells*2) 6kg,8kg,8kg
    Bicep Curls(Bar) 10kg,15kg,20kg
    Tricep Kickbacks(Single Dumbbell) 6kg,8kg,8kg
    21's(Dumbbells*2) 6kg,8kg,8kg
    Tricep Pulldown 20kg,25kg,30kg*6reps,25kg

Delt Raises(Dumbbells*2) 6kg,8kg,8kg
    Delt Rows(Bar) 10kg,15kg,20kg*7reps
    Arny Press(Dumbbells*2) 8kg,10kg,12kg*7reps,12kg*6reps
    Shrugs(Dumbbells*2) 16kg,20kg,20kg

19/3 Arms & Shoulders*each weight x10reps
    Seated Hammer Curls(Dumbbells*2) 10kg,12kg,12kg
    Seated Tricep Extension(Single Dumbbell) 12kg,14kg,14kg
    Bicep Curls(Bar) 17kg,19.5kg,22kg
    Tricep Kickbacks(Single Dumbbell) 6kg,8kg,8kg
    21's(Dumbbells*2) 6kg,8kg,8kg
    Tricep Pulldown 25kg,30kg,30kg

Delt Raises(Dumbbells*2) 6kg,6kg,6kg
    Delt Rows(Bar) 14.5kg,17kg,19.5kg
    Arny Press(Dumbbells*2) 8kg,10kg,10kg*7reps,8kg*8reps
    Shrugs(Dumbbells*2) 18kg,20kg,20kg all *20reps
    25/1 Legs, Abs, Chest & Back
    Lunges(Dumbbell x2) 10kg,12kg,14kg
    Squats(Dumbbell x2) 15,16,18
    Calf Raises(Single Dumbbell) 14kg,16kg,18kg
    Leg Press 53kg,61kg,69kg
    (Plank, Side Plank, Side Plank) (30sec,30sec,30sec)x3

Fly's(Dumbbell x2) 8kg,10kg,12kg
    Chest Pullover(Single Dumbbell) 8kg,10kg,12kg
    Bench Press 35kg,40kg,45kg
    Lat Row's 14kg,18kg,18kg
    Lat Pulldown 30kg,40kg,45kg
    Seated Row Machine 32kg,32kg,32kg

20/3 Legs, Abs, Chest & Back
    Dumbell Squats(Dumbbell x2) 14kg,16kg,18kg
    Dumbell Step Ups(Dumbbell x2) 12kg,14kg,16kg
    Calf Raises(Smith Machine) 35kg,37.5kg,40kg,42.5kg
    Leg Extension(Single leg) 15kg,20kg,25kg
    Leg Curl 40kg,50kg,60kg
    Leg Press 85kg,93kg,101kg
    (Plank, Side Plank, Side Plank) (40sec,40sec,40sec)x3

Flys(Dumbbell x2) 12kg,12kg,12kg
    Chest Pullover 12kg,14kg,14kg
    Chest Press 40kg,45kg,50kg
    Lat Rows 16kg,18kg,20kg
    Lat Pulldown 30kg,35kg,40kg
    Seated Row Machine 40kg,45kg,50kg

As you can see the weights for Delt Raises and Arny Press are reduced over time...I have found that I just can't do the higher weight as my arms and shoulder can't physically do it...If anyone can explain why this is it would be greatly appreciated...

Also can anyone suggest were I can improve, I am also considering doing 4 days in the gym from now, something like Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday, could I ask for advice on now I'd spilt my days in terms of what muscle groups to do...

Also for any and all criticism of my routine please feel free to let rip, I put the current program together as a starter program to get my into the feel of the gym and lifting weights and its been very helpful in that regard...

My main goal in the gym is to get stronger, more definition and tone of my body as well as lose fat off my body...I'm not looking to be huge just have a good shape and to be generally fitter, stronger and healthier...

Cheers in advance for your help...

Also sorry if this is the wrong forum:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Sireck

Your training split is terrible mate, no offence, thats why your feeling weaker because your doing too much on your set days, i mean legs chest abs and back on the same day is not smart, take me for instance, im thrashed after 30 minutes doing legs, i wouldnt be able to do much more let alone chest back and abs on top of that, you should follow this program for a four day split http://www.muscletech.com/resources/athletes/philheath/index.shtml, i did with great results, try not to stick to a program for too long, mix it up for better results, i change programs every 8 weeks, during programs i wud change it too by adding drop sets, supersets giant sets etc,when talking about ab training, i only do abs twice per week, but no one ab routine is ever the same i would also implement different training principles such as hany rambods FST-7, Kris Gethins DTP training principle. hope this helps bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

Sireck wrote: »
    Your training split is terrible mate, no offence, thats why your feeling weaker because your doing too much on your set days, i mean legs chest abs and back on the same day is not smart, take me for instance, im thrashed after 30 minutes doing legs, i wouldnt be able to do much more let alone chest back and abs on top of that, you should follow this program for a four day split http://www.muscletech.com/resources/athletes/philheath/index.shtml, i did with great results, try not to stick to a program for too long, mix it up for better results, i change programs every 8 weeks, during programs i wud change it too by adding drop sets, supersets giant sets etc,when talking about ab training, i only do abs twice per week, but no one ab routine is ever the same i would also implement different training principles such as hany rambods FST-7, Kris Gethins DTP training principle. hope this helps bro.

Cheers mate, just on the link...I can't seem to find the daily split for what to do on each day...

Also is it advisable to to work the same muscle group twice a week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Sireck

busyliving wrote: »
    Cheers mate, just on the link...I can't seem to find the daily split for what to do on each day...

Also is it advisable to to work the same muscle group twice a week?

Well i did the split as legs on monday, chest-tris tuesday, wednesday abs and HIIT, thursday back, friday shoulders then saturday abs and HIIT, sunday off

It really depends, if you have a weaker bodypart, lets say chest which used to be a weak body part for me, i used to put a load of pushups in the HIIT in addition to my chest routine, but dont overdo it, if you feel muscle pain in the same area more than once a week then chances are your overtraining.

Advertisement