Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

potty training puppy

• 24-03-2012 2:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

I have a 9 week old puppy and I'm trying to toilet train her but its not going to well. She pee's every 5 minutes tiny little puddles. I bring her to the garden every time she eats and when she wakes after a sleep and praise/treat her but every time she will go back in and poo or pee in the house. I think maybe she is too young to train because she pees so often but I dont want her to start thinking that peeing in the house is ok.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

she's 9 weeks old! be prepared for a lot more work before she gets the idea. she should be no more than 1 week removed from weaning, mother and siblings so everything is new to her. give it time and patience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

At 9 weeks they have absolutely no control over their bladder so its not their fault. They will just go when they need to do, so dont blame the pup for something that they cant help.

It will be another few weeks before their bladder is strong enough to hold it for longer periods.

For the moment, you just need to be encouraging the pup to go outside, lots of praise etc. They will learn that going outside is good and will eventually look to go outside when they need to go. You need to stay outside with the pup until it goes, even if that means staying out there for a while.

Have you tried crate training? I highly recommend it and its great for helping with toilet training.

It can take months to train a pup so you need to be patient and give the pup a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

Thanks for the replies, I figured she was just too young to hold it. Its not really bothering me, I just keep a mop handy. I am crate training her. She was peeing in the crate but has started holding it a bit in there. Her biggest pee's are when she gets out of the crate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

How long is she in the crate for at any one time?

The point of the crate is that they dont pee where they sleep, but if shes in there too long and has to go, she will, so its up to you to make sure shes being let out often enough and not in there too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

You need to watch for the 'triggers'. When I potty trained my dog, I did a bit of reading up about it.

When your pup wakes up, plays, eats or takes a drink, put him out to do his business. As the dog is so young, you'll probably need to get up a couple of times in the night to take him out for his wees too.

With my dog, when he went for a wee, I said 'wee, wee' and praised him like mad. Same thing with No.2's as well. I said 'poopy doos' and again praised him like mad.

It does take a bit of time and a LOT of patience, but I managed to get my dog trained within two weeks. There was still the odd accident, but he got the idea very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭darrenmcc

i dont know if you can get them in Ireland, sure somewhere will have them, but you can purchase puppy matts. instead of typing everything out on how to use them, here's a link:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Puppy-Pads-and-Outdoor-Potty-Training-Together

basics:
    Place the puppy pad where the puppy goes first.

Open the door when he goes towards the door and the puppy pad is near the door, drag the pad outside, and let puppy go on the pad or the ground.

Put a rock on the pad, leave it outside the door, and put down a clean pad inside the door.

Remove the pad once he gets an idea.

Advertisement