Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OK to fill external Harddrive 100%

Options
  • 24-03-2012 2:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

I have an external harddrive which I use for media; mostly video and audio, it's about 90% full at the moment. Is it ok to keep filling up to 100% or should I give it some breathing space? The contents don't change often, i.e I'm not chopping and changing movies or music constantly, just adding new stuff.

This is the harddrive I'm using: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1682/1/ (I just put it in an external case). Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Don't think they need breathing space.. You can fill to your hearts content!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

GO ahead and fill it up, but drive c windows drive should have at least
    2gig empty ,windows needs space for temporary files, and caching video files.YOU can use ccleaner program to clean up empty space ,say once a month.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Yeah theres no issues maxing out a hard disk, only the OS drive you should leave a few gig free for decent performance/stability.

Nick

Advertisement