Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red coming out through plaster

• 24-03-2012 9:11am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

Hi,

On our south facing gable end, there is red coming out through the plaster and it looks really crap. We used a white plaster with a nap finish but this is the only area that exhibits this problem. House and plastering is around 7-8 years old

I'm thinking of lightly powerhosing it but would like some other opinions.

Some pics.

6yz76c.jpg

657f3c.jpg

34gn9n5.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Most web searches point to it being an algae or fungus which can be killed off with a dilute bleach solution then washed down after a while (don't know how long). Test on an inconspicuous area first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

+ 1 for slimjimmc. Leave solution on for 24 hrs then power wash
    Nw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

I may be totally wrong,but the stains seem to be streaking out from particular points suggesting that something is leeching out.from within or behind....iron oxide?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭gugsy

Its red algea that can be cleaned by using "mosgo red and green algea killer" you can buy for around €30. spray on with napsack sprayer leave for two dry days to allow the mosgo to kill algea and powerhose off (this will remove the roots). Then paint over if required.

regards
    Paint shop assistant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

Thanks guys I 1/4 bleached the whole lot and it has certainly drastically faded. I never got around to powerwashing it.

Perhaps I'll give it a few more weeks and apply one more covering of 1/4 bleach and then powerhose afterwards.

Will post some pics afterwards.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement