Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oroco kitchen worktop which was neglected, how to bring back to original state

Options
  • 24-03-2012 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Hello,
    I have a worktop with Oroco wood fitted 7 years ago in a rented house, while I offered oil to tenant to apply annually it was never done.

Any advice on bringing it back to it's natural state ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

I presume you mean iroko ?
    After seven years it will have plenty of dents and stains ?
    I'd sand it back to bare wood with a random orbital sander and refinish.( try and use dust extraction or a good cartridge mask as Iroko gives off a dust like pepper )
    Wax /oil combinations like Osmopolyx are great but pricey. There's nothing wrong with boiled linseed oil but it needs 3-4 coats, repeated once yearly or so.
    Many people suggest two pack varnishes etc but I've yet to find a varnish that stood up to water and heat abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭david4791

Thanks for the spellcheck, thanks also for the advice

What are the directions for boiling linseed oil? Vis a vis to what extent?

david4791 wrote: »
    What are the directions for boiling linseed oil? Vis a vis to what extent?

No need.!
    Linseed oil is sold as 'raw' or 'boiled'. It confused me for a long time until I learnt that it simply means chemicals are added to make the boiled version dry faster.Its never actually 'boiled'.
    Most hardware shops will have 'Rustins' , sold in small bottles but its a little pricey for what you get.Try the dedicated paint shops and you may get a better deal as you will need about 500cc to give a worktop a few coats.
    There is a technique to get good results with all oils.
    Rub on generously with a green pan wash up scourer. (Avoid wire wool as residues will rust in time ) Leave about 20 mins when the surface will look a little patchy and then clean off with kitchen roll or a cloth to leave a soft sheen.
    Repeat this the next day (to give the surface time to harden up) The more coats you give it, the better it will look.
    Allow about 3 days for it to be dry enough to use.
    Lastly, don't leave the cloths/ kitchen roll squashed into a ball as they can apparently self combust, although I've never actually heard of this happening to anybody.

Thanks Recipio, great advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Be very careful of the dust though, I ended up in hospital with Nettle Rash from Iroko dust.

david4791 wrote: »
    Thanks Recipio, great advice

Most welcome.
    I never give advice unless I've done it myself and linseed is a lovely natural substance to use.
    I forgot to say that its worth steaming out any scratches or dents ( after sanding ) if you really want a great finish. Just soak a cloth in water, squeeze out and use a hot iron over it to steam the blemishes. Makes a big difference.
    All exotic woods can cause a rash unfortunately, worse when mixed with (ahem) sweat. !

Thanks again.

Advertisement