Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distance learning graphic design

Options
  • 24-03-2012 9:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

Hi all!

I am learning how to use Illustrator with Lynda.com which suits me great, its very much step by step.

I can active most of what I wish to do with this.

However, I would love to learn a bit more about the actual graphic design process rather than how to use the tool. This request is coming from someone who can barely draw a stick man. Most of what I will hope to active is in relation to advanced presentations, especially scientific. Are there any distance learning courses on the net for this, either free or paying.

Or are there any good books on this topic? I have heard about Robin Williams and The Non-Designers Design Book.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

Aw anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭flanree

Have you looked through the Resources sticky in this forum?

Thanks for the reply!

Ya I checked the sticky, I guess I am looking for a more formal "course-like" progression, perhaps a paid for distance learning course.

Perhaps this doesn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Digitaljunkie

A good way to start is to read the book "Becoming a Graphic Designer -A guide to careers and design, By Steven Heller & Teresa Fernandes. It will give you a great insight into the processes. Graphic design is not really suited to distance learning to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Graphic design is not really suited to distance learning to be honest.

Really? How do you know?

Can you elaborate on that and let everyone know what your experience is of distance learning with graphic design?

• Advertisement

Thanks, I will check that book out.

FlashD, I am hoping the tone of your reply indicates that you might have some experience of or know about possible distance learning or online options?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

PoleStar wrote: »
    FlashD, I am hoping the tone of your reply indicates that you might have some experience of or know about possible distance learning or online options?

Unfortunately I can't help you, you seem to be looking for a short term online graphic design course. I don't have any experience or information regarding these kind of courses.

My experience lies with studying online graphic design to hons BA level which isn't really a fast track 'learn the basics' option.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Osmosae

graphic design is kind of a broad spectrum, what exactly are you trying to pick up, is it logo design, data visualisation, poster design etc ? There is no fast track course to pick things up, It takes time an critique to get a grasp on how to lay things out.

For data visualisation which is something u seem to be interested (advanced scientific presentations - again very broad :P), digital tutors have a course on taking data from excel and using illustrators tools to make the data more visually pleasing Link .... they operate much like lynda.com in that you may a monthly subscription and then have access to a library of content. Digital Tutors are more aimed towards visual effects and the 3D world, but do have some courses on illustrator/photoshop and general design principles. Have a look through their courses before you purchase to make sure they offer the things you want.

EDIT: Also check out places like tuts+ particularly their creative sessions Link

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

That's all great advice and I think it is what I was looking for!

Thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement