Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lighting Spur from Double Socket

Options
  • 24-03-2012 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

I have a double socket in the attic.

I want to run 2 lights from this socket on 1 pull cord switch.

I assume I can spur a cable off from inside the socket and run it to a pull chord then run 2 cables (in different directions) from the pull chord out to the 2 lights.

Can anyone tell me what size cables I need, where will this circuit be fused.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 pyromania

probably be better using a 13a fused spur to switch lights fitted with 3a fuse

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Tidyweb wrote: »
    I have a double socket in the attic.

I want to run 2 lights from this socket on 1 pull cord switch.

I assume I can spur a cable off from inside the socket and run it to a pull chord then run 2 cables (in different directions) from the pull chord out to the 2 lights.

Can anyone tell me what size cables I need, where will this circuit be fused.

Thanks
    As pyromania said I would use a 13A spur outlet (with a 3A fuse) to connect to the socket circuit.

2.5 T+E upstream of the spur. 1.5 cabling downstream is suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tidyweb

Would the "13A spur outlet (with a 3A fuse)" have the switch on it for the lights, doesnt matter if it is a pull cord or switch

What would the best type of light be considering it will be fixed to joists in the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

If your in the attic, it would be very easy to get a permanent live feed off one of the lighting circuits below. You'll probably just have to drop a wire down to one of the switches. Not sure why you would bother using a fused spur.

Also you don't want to be up in the attic walking across joists when the RCD for the socket trips ;-)

Flooring the attic which is why I am putting in the lights, so the joist thing isnt a problem.

I just assumed with the double socket already in the attic it may be easier to use that.

Is there not a way I can just plug whatever I am doing into the socket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Flooring the attic which is why I am putting in the lights, so the joist thing isnt a problem.

I just assumed with the double socket already in the attic it may be easier to use that.

Even with flooring you'll be able to find a lighting cable, the flooring doesn't typically go right the way to the eves etc... See if you can locate the top of any of the switch drops and a ceiling rose on the same circuit to grab a neutral from. Attic flooring should be fairly easy to lift anyway.

Although depending on who wired your house, if its done UK style you will just need to find a ceiling rose and take it from there...

With jobs like this it would take the same time to do it once and properly as going the other route....

I just assumed the fused spur as the right way to go about it.

Ill head up to the attic and check now.

I need to drop a cable down a light switch downstairs inside the wall, run the a cable up into a switch and out to the lights.

What is the best types of lights and cables to use in an attic when screwing lights to joists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

cables and lights
    nym and prob t5 corrosion proof lites
    you can prewire them with flex and connect to nym using obo boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

I would go with the switched fuse spur option,Getting wires down walls into switches or picking up feeds and neutrals in the attic can be messy and awkward if you are not too confident in what you are doing.
    If you are confident in tapping into a lighting circuit by all means that would be the best way to go.

Coming off the socket shouldnt be a problem the risk of the RCD tripping while you happen to be in the attic realistically isnt any higher than the ESB turning off your power to do some maintenance in your area or whos to say your lighting circuit wouldnt trip while you where up there and leave you in the dark.

Sometimes the simplest option is the best option..

I am confident enough taking from the exisiting lights.

Access to the lights from the attic and the switches in the wall are simple.

Should I take Live Neutral ann Earth from the existing lights themselves and not bother going near the switch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

Unless there is a permanent live at the light you will have 2 go to the switch....

Ill take a look tonight.

From what I can see its a bathroom light.

There is a connection box in the attic wrapped in tape, with a black cable going to the bathroom ceiling light and a grey 3 core (Ithink) cable going to switch and 2 other grey 3 core cables going to bedroom lights.

Does that sound right. Ill tape tape off and have a proper look later

you should get an electrician if you are guessing and need to be coached through the entire job

there is a degree of risk if you have to be instructed ,something may go wrong or the job may not be up to scratch

I have done plenty of wiring - but always like to get opinions before I push on and do the job.

Lights can be confusing, where as a more difficult job like putting in an electric shower can be more straight forward.

Its only a light. In reality I could just plug some lights in, but interested in what is the best way.

Also I hate getting electricians etc in when I dont know exactly what needs to be done, as inevitably "the professionals" tend to take the easiest route, although it would be a perfectly adequate job./

it is easy if you're a professional electrician

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Lights can be confusing, where as a more difficult job like putting in an electric shower can be more straight forward.
    An interesting comment.
    It is more straight forward in the sense that one cable is run from a to b. However, do something wrong at either end and the consequences can be far more drastic. Personally, I'd rather be doing lights all day than "easy" showers.

the shower appears more straightforward to the person doing diy

as they dont know what they dont know

im all for givimg general advice but there is a danger with instructing people

Advertisement