Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For Hardcore Gaming, etc

Options
  • 24-03-2012 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

1. What is your budget? €1000+ and I'll pay extra if I need too, if it means better hardware for an extra couple of Euro.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming, Video editing, Internet. For games: SWTOR and World of Warcraft on full graphics, 65+FPS while 25man raiding. I also need to be able to stream those games too on 1080P.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes

5a. If yes, what size do you need. 20' or 22'

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    N/A

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? I need a keyboard and speakers.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes

8. How can you pay? Debit Card or Laser

9. When are you purchasing? Hopefully in the next 2 weeks.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? South Dublin. Dun Laoghaire.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I also need to be able to stream those games too on 1080P.

Streaming your own game, or streaming other people's games?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Libertewhite

Brian wrote: »
    Streaming your own game, or streaming other people's games?

Streaming my own.

I see. That is extremely CPU intensive. Not to mention there aren't a great number of 1080P monitors in the 20-22" range, and you will need the 100/8 Mb UPC package to stream without lag, and you will also need a $40 xsplit licence.

I see. That is extremely CPU intensive. Not to mention there aren't a great number of 1080P monitors in the 20-22" range, and you will need the 100/8 Mb UPC package to stream without lag, and you will also need a $40 xsplit licence.

I have the 100/8 Mb from UPC already. I've briefly looked at monitors and I found a few 24' with 1080P relatively cheap on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I have the 100/8 Mb from UPC already. I've briefly looked at monitors and I found a few 24' with 1080P relatively cheap on Amazon.

It's a lot easier to find a 1080p 24" monitor than a 20"

• Advertisement

Not so easy to fit it into a ~€1000 budget though.

I can go without streaming, for now. I'll just have to upgrade parts in a few months. I don't mind doing that.
    But for a fact, I need something to handle full graphic 25man raiding, quite soon. Even I had just that I'd be happy.

I can wait to upgrade the other things I need.

I was thinking:
    CPU: Intel i7 2600K
    Mobo: Asus P8Z68-V
    Ram: 8gb G-Skill Ripjaw
    GPU: nvidia GTX 560
    SSD: Intel X-25M

Is this make any good, do you know?
    I hate not knowing much about parts. For all I know, there is better parts, than these, and much cheaper.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

This should do the job nicely. If you had a bit more to spare I'd throw it into an SSD, but this build will do everything you need.

Type|Name|Price
    CPU|Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155|€188.78
    Cooler|Thermalright HR-02 Macho|€33.75
    Motherboard|ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€82.61
    RAM|8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€32.66
    GPU|Club 3D Radeon HD 7870, 2048MB GDDR5, AMD Radeon HD 7870, PCI- Express|€312.79
    HDD|Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB, SATA II (HD502HJ)|€70.34
    Case|BitFenix Shinobi Midi-Tower USB 3.0 black, ohne Netzteil|€54.04
    PSU|Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W|€52.02
    DVD RW|LiteOn iHAS122-18 schwarz SATA|€16.65
    Windows|Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit (SB-Version)|€79.17
    Monitor|BenQ GL2250|€115.00
    Shipping||€18.99
    Total||€1,056.80

deconduo wrote: »
    This should do the job nicely. If you had a bit more to spare I'd throw it into an SSD, but this build will do everything you need.

What SSD were you considering?

Do you have experience with that site, if so, can you elaborate?

Btw, the build looks so awesome so far. Many many thanks for taking the time to help. I really really appreciate it :D

What SSD were you considering?

Do you have experience with that site, if so, can you elaborate?

The Crucial M4 or Samsung 830 are both good drives.

I've ordered 12+ builds from them and never had a problem.

• Advertisement

Did delivery take long/cost much?

I'm just curious....how did you make those links look like that? Like the full link didn't show, just the item in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Don't forget to download an English 64-bit disc image to go with that key.

About the formatting in deconduo's post, it's using Fluffy's script. There's a link to it in the 'how to ask for computer build help' post.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

In answer to your specific question, it's to do with the link formatting.

Normally: (url)www.google.com(/url) = www.google.com
    But: (url=www.google.com)Google(/url) = Google

NB: Replace "(" and ")" with "[" and "]". I used regular brackets because the formatting won't show up otherwise.

Serephucus wrote: »
    I used regular brackets ...

Parentheses ;)

Did delivery take long/cost much?

I'm just curious....how did you make those links look like that? Like the full link didn't show, just the item in question.

Delivery usually takes 5-7 days, and is a flat €18.99, I have it included already.

As monotype said Fluffy's script automates most of it, the link is in my signature.
    Monotype wrote: »
    Don't forget to download an English 64-bit disc image to go with that key.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I'm based in Dublin and can help put it together for you. I have the right windows disk as well. If you are putting it together yourself, download this and burn it to a dvd:
    Win7 Home 64

Basically the cheapest version of windows from that site is the german version, but the license key from it is valid for any version. So you buy the german key and install it from your own english DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Parentheses ;)

I know, but I was going for layman's terms. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

This is how to put Windows 7 onto a USB to install instead of DVD. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4CdEZPTPzk&feature=player_embedded#!

Delivery usually takes 5-7 days, and is a flat €18.99, I have it included already.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I'm based in Dublin and can help put it together for you. I have the right windows disk as well.

Basically the cheapest version of windows from that site is the german version, but the license key from it is valid for any version. So you buy the german key and install it from your own english DVD.

I will be taking you up on your offer! If I did it myself, I'd most likely burn something out!

Do you mean paying for the 32-bit, but using a 64-bit version? I'm slightly confused there!

Would http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=48850&agid=1193 be better?

Is there anything that would help overclocking usage? I'm a virgin when it comes to overclocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Is there anything that would help overclocking usage? I'm a virgin when it comes to overclocking.

If you mean is it useful for your gaming and streaming. i would say yes when i overclocked my i5 i got about 10 more fps in BF3 and i image in a game like SWTOR would help it quite a bit and stabilise the FPS. I haven't played SWTOR yet (Curse you 4th year) so i cant really confirm it for you but MMOs are usually CPU intensive more than GPU so it should help and its really easy to do

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Do you mean paying for the 32-bit, but using a 64-bit version? I'm slightly confused there!

The disc is a German 32-bit one. You can use the license that you are buying with an English disc and the same key is used for 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
    In other words, you are buying the key from there but you probably don't want the German version.
    Alternatively,, you can get it cheaper if you're a student until the end of the month.
    http://www.software4students.ie/Windows_7-list.aspx

Not much. It's a little faster but the difference is minuscule on these Intel systems. The heatsinks do little apart from look better as RAM doesn't get that hot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

NTMK wrote: »
    I haven't played SWTOR yet (Curse you 4th year)
    You're doing it wrong, 4th year is the biggest doss year :p

If you mean is it useful for your gaming and streaming. i would say yes when i overclocked my i5 i got about 10 more fps in BF3 and i image in a game like SWTOR would help it quite a bit and stabilise the FPS. I haven't played SWTOR yet (Curse you 4th year) so i cant really confirm it for you but MMOs are usually CPU intensive more than GPU so it should help and its really easy to do

I have yet to play SWTOR but I assume it's more CPU intensive than WoW. I could be wrong.

What I meant was, is there some sort of software to keep on eye on it and other things like temperature, GHz, etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

I have yet to play SWTOR but I assume it's more CPU intensive than WoW. I could be wrong.

What I meant was, is there some sort of software to keep on eye on it and other things like temperature, GHz, etc

You will get software with your motherboard that does this. Though with a 2500k you could overclock it more than 1ghz on stock coolers and not have to worry about it. Mine is currently on 5ghz with a v10 cooler.

Myself and Tea use HWmonitor.
    This will give you cpu core temps and voltages and CPU-Z for clocks

Limericks wrote: »
    You will get software with your motherboard that does this. Though with a 2500k you could overclock it more than 1ghz on stock coolers and not have to worry about it. Mine is currently on 5ghz with a v10 cooler.

How high would I be able to overclock my setup, without damaging it?
    For 2 reasons: A)I know the limit and B)Showing off
    Myself and Tea use HWmonitor.
    This will give you cpu core temps and voltages and CPU-Z for clocks

Many thanks, NTMK!

Many thanks, NTMK!

I can help you overclock it as well if you like. Its fairly straightforward with that chip anyway.

it depends on a couple of things
    1) some chips overclock better than others mine reaches most will usually reach 4.3 no problem some will go higher than that mine is at 4.8 and limericks is at 5 which is very rare
    it all depends on the chip but ~4.4ghz is a good estimate for what you can expect. temps and voltages are critical to watch to avoid damaging it (i think keeping it under 1.35v is what you want to avoid shortening your cpu's life). but 5Ghz chips are considered "golden chips" and only fraction of chips can actually reach that

2)some motherboards appear to limit overclocking (mine appears to limit it to 4.8ghz (Asrock z68 Extreme IV)) others allow it to go higher

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I haven't even manual overclocked mine yet. The board I have has a performance feature that will overclock it to 43ghz with the push of a button. Most new boards will do this, but manual overclocking is the better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I haven't even manual overclocked mine yet. The board I have has a performance feature that will overclock it to 43ghz with the push of a button. Most new boards will do this, but manual overclocking is the better option.

:OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Advertisement

it depends on a couple of things
    1) some chips overclock better than others mine reaches most will usually reach 4.3 no problem some will go higher than that mine is at 4.8 and limericks is at 5 which is very rare
    it all depends on the chip but ~4.4ghz is a good estimate for what you can expect. temps and voltages are critical to watch to avoid damaging it (i think keeping it under 1.35v is what you want to avoid shortening your cpu's life). but 5Ghz chips are considered "golden chips" and only fraction of chips can actually reach that.

Is there much of a price difference?

I do have 1 or 2 questions. Why go for a sata2 harddrive when I could go for one supporting sata3? Or is that no big deal/difference?

I think 1600MHz Ram would be better than a 1333MHz, but I don't really understand it tbh. I don't know which makes are better :S

Advertisement