Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For Hardcore Gaming, etc

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Libertewhite

deconduo wrote: »
    I can help you overclock it as well if you like. Its fairly straightforward with that chip anyway.

I'll be ordering everything on Monday or Thursday at the latest. I hope to have everything sorted by then - I'm completely lost in all these things!

Do you want to PM me your number and then I can ring you when I receive the components? Also mention what times you'd be free during the week and how much you charge. I assume they will get here anytime after the 26th.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Is there much of a price difference?

I do have 1 or 2 questions. Why go for a sata2 harddrive when I could go for one supporting sata3? Or is that no big deal/difference?

I think 1600MHz Ram would be better than a 1333MHz, but I don't really understand it tbh. I don't know which makes are better :S

SATA 6Gbps hard drive makes no difference. It's like having a car that will only do 60kmph on a roads with 120kmph and 240kmph speed limits. It makes a difference to SSDs though, of course.

The RAM is higher frequency but it doesn't translate to 20% extra performance. It's better but even €10 is steep for the difference. There's benchmarks around somewhere...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-choosing-the-best-ddr3/6

Actually, in searching around I found some more results where there's a bigger impact.
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/sandy-bridge-ddr3_7.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Is there much of a price difference?

I do have 1 or 2 questions. Why go for a sata2 harddrive when I could go for one supporting sata3? Or is that no big deal/difference?

I think 1600MHz Ram would be better than a 1333MHz, but I don't really understand it tbh. I don't know which makes are better :S

Its random depends on the batch of processors

with mechanical hard drives theres no difference (i havent seen a difference anyway) difference only shows up with ssds

I know nothing about Ram really so i couldnt tell ya:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

You really won't notice a difference between 1333mhz and 1600mhz ram. You would only really see the difference in benchmarks. Definitely go for the cheaper option

Okay, so in plain English, "I should ignore the Ram MHz and the Sata 3 drive because it makes no difference?"

My brain has officially melted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Okay, so in plain English, "I should ignore the Ram MHz and the Sata 3 drive because it makes no difference?"

My brain has officially melted.
    dont ignore them, just go with whichever is cheapest. I usually get 1600mhz Cl9/8 ram cause i know if i ever go back to AMD it'll make a difference.

as far as intel goes, meh.

So this is the setup and I think it's finished.

CPU|Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155|€188.78
    Cooler|Thermalright HR-02 Macho|€33.75
    Motherboard|ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€82.61
    RAM|8GB-Kit G-Skill RipJaws PC3-12800U CL9|€42.15
    GPU|Club 3D Radeon HD 7870, 2048MB GDDR5, AMD Radeon HD 7870, PCI- Express|€312.79
    HDD|Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB, SATA II (HD502HJ)|€70.34
    Case|BitFenix Shinobi Midi-Tower USB 3.0 black, ohne Netzteil|€54.04
    PSU|Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 V2|€78.27
    DVD RW|LiteOn iHAS122-18 schwarz SATA|€16.65
    Windows|Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit (SB-Version)|€79.17
    Monitor|BenQ GL2250|€115.00
    SSD|Corsair Force Series GT 120GB SATA III|€143.67
    Shipping||€18.99
    Total||€1,236.21

Any last changes?

You might as well get the crucial M4. It's a bit cheaper and performs better with incompressible data.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=46110

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Could, um, get a 23" monitor for that price on adverts >_>

Brian wrote: »
    Could, um, get a 23" monitor for that price on adverts >_>

Linky linky?!:confused:

• Advertisement

Monotype wrote: »
    You might as well get the crucial M4. It's a bit cheaper and performs better with incompressible data.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=46110

Many many thanks again, Monotype! :)
    I'll just change those 2 around then.

Why are you getting rid of it? :S

EDIT:
    "Inputs: VGA, DVI, HDMI"

Yep, It's good!!

Upgrading.

*cough* just make an offer on the ad ;)

Just looking at the PSU you selected. 650W is unnecessary unless you plan some big upgrades. You could go with another 550W, or save a few euro with other 650W PSUs such as the XFX or amazon. Alternatively, the golden green is €2 more than what the TXv2 costs.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=38006

Monotype wrote: »
    Just looking at the PSU you selected. 650W is unnecessary unless you plan some big upgrades. You could go with another 550W, or save a few euro with other 650W PSUs such as the XFX or amazon. Alternatively, the golden green is €2 more than what the TXv2 costs.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=38006

Monotype, you have been ever so helpful. I honestly can't thank you enough. I truly appreciate all the work you put it.

And thanks to everyone else who has posted and helped me build the perfect rig. Kudos to you all :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Upgrading.

you still haven't gotten a 120hz 1080p 3d monitor?! I want a second one at this stage :p

Did you get a monitor yet? I would love a nice 27 inch one, oh to dream.

you still haven't gotten a 120hz 1080p 3d monitor?! I want a second one at this stage :p

Did you get a monitor yet? I would love a nice 27 inch one, oh to dream.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056587214

Bought on Thursday... probably won't see it for a week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

looks pretty sweet, let me know how it goes, and if you get hit by import.
    Would love to see it next to my type of monitor to compare. I'd say it looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭BillyCom

With regard to an SSD, isn't it possible with a sandybridge CPU & z68 motherboard to use it as a cache drive, ie. the standard mechanical drive & SSD appear as 1, but it speeds up overall performance significantly?

If so, is a 64GB SSD the largest you'd need, since thats the maximum cache size possible afaik??

btw, Why get another fan/heatsink if the boxed version already has it included, as I've been told here before? Or is the standard one not suitable for overclock temperature?

BillyCom wrote: »
    With regard to an SSD, isn't it possible with a sandybridge CPU & z68 motherboard to use it as a cache drive, ie. the standard mechanical drive & SSD appear as 1, but it speeds up overall performance significantly?

If so, is a 64GB SSD the largest you'd need, since thats the maximum cache size possible afaik??

Yeah, all correct there but if you've got a new 64GB drive, it's hardly worth it as you might as well keep all you key programs and OS on that drive. The caching is great for reusing old drives but keep in mind that it only kicks in when you've used a particular program or data a few times.
    btw, Why get another fan/heatsink if the boxed version already has it included, as I've been told here before? Or is the standard one not suitable for overclock temperature?

Quieter and better at keeping the CPU cool.
    The standard one is usually good enough for small overclocks, depending on the CPU. For higher overclocks and a quieter system or even just something that looks better, you'd get something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭BillyCom

hmmm originally I was think of getting the M4 128gb drive and keeping O/S plus some games/mmos I regularly use on that, so I may stick to that plan.
    Although it degrades sooner than the mechanical drives if you write/wipe stuff from it much, so a standard drive also in order for storing files?

With regard to overclocking : If I were to get say, the i-5 2500k, would a 1ghz overclock be reasonable with a new fan without shortening the lifespan & do I need thermal paste for fitting the heatsink?

BillyCom wrote: »
    hmmm originally I was think of getting the M4 128gb drive and keeping O/S plus some games/mmos I regularly use on that, so I may stick to that plan.
    Although it degrades sooner than the mechanical drives if you write/wipe stuff from it much, so a standard drive also in order for storing files?

I wouldn't worry about the degradation of the drive, it's not as bad as some people would lead you to believe. Your drive would be well obsolete by the time it would be an issue. Use it whatever way you want but don't do anything like defragmenting it, which would have a lot of movement of files around and which is unnecessary as random access would be much the same regardless of how the files are spread out. This is disabled in windows 7 when you install it to SSDs anyway.
    With regard to overclocking : If I were to get say, the i-5 2500k, would a 1ghz overclock be reasonable with a new fan without shortening the lifespan & do I need thermal paste for fitting the heatsink?

Yeah, you'd probably be safe up to +1GHz. 4GHz from 3.3GHz should be well possible anyway. If I recall correctly, I've heard people managing 4.4GHz with it, but I don't know how noise comes into it. Just keep your eye on the temperature - these CPUs run fairly cool so that's why you can manage even with a fairly rubbish heatsink. You can always buy a better heatsink later on if you can't fit it into your budget now. There's some thermal paste stuff stuck onto the heatsink so you don't need to buy it unless you take it off and put it back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I got my one up to 4.2ghz easily with that auto overclocking yoke. I droped volts lower then system set it to, and it works perfect. Those 2500k go up to 4.5ghz easily I was told, but I just don't know why would you want anything more then 4.0 for gaming.

By the time your ssd degrades you will have bought another. It doesn't go down hill that fast. Just use it for windows and games or w/e. No need to have media on it.

I have my 2500k set at 4.5ghz with a cheap cooler, arctic pro 7. Was 14e or something. It's still very cool and no you didn't need paste, it came pre-applied. Just stress test for temperatures and you will be fine.
    It's also very easy to do so don't be put off. I could have jsut pressed the OC button on my MSI mobo but that is not as efficient as doing it yourself.

Advertisement