Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much milk (milk replacer) do you feed calves?

• 24-03-2012 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

how much milk (milkreplacer) do you feed calves? mine are on 2 1/2 lts twice a day and they still look thin. 3-4 weeks old and on a half kg meal + hay.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

PMU wrote: »
    how much milk (milkreplacer) do you feed calves? mine are on 2 1/2 lts twice a day and they still look thin. 3-4 weeks old and on a half kg meal + hay.
    what does it say on the bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

i see from the journal where mel keenan feeds 2 gallon3 thru an auto feeder.
    also , suckler calves must drink as much as they like and they grow better than mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

You can't compare them to suckled calves. It's a different system.

Follow the instuctions on the bag for a start.

Get them onto a KG of meal ASAP. Then get them off milk as soon as you can. Start them on grass and meal for the summer.

They're going to look smaller than suckled calves no matter what you do.

i am following the instructions to the letter, thats not the problem.last year i used yogurt milk and they thrived better. they just look thin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

PMU wrote: »
    i am following the instructions to the letter, thats not the problem.last year i used yogurt milk and they thrived better. they just look thin
    what breed are they? are they bought in, do they need a mineral lick?

• Advertisement

homebred holsteins and jex. going out to grass tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭20silkcut

I feed mine 2 and a half litres of golden maverick twice a day I just follow the back of the bag. I throw in a few scoops of milkshake powder as well. Am starting to wean some of the stronger ones now. They have all had 1 bag per head so far and are going through about 16 kg of meal a day between 20 of them with the stronger ones eating over a kilo per head. They are grazing as well and eating hay.
    Some say 1 bag per head is enough but I have reached that stage and I know if I stop the milk replacer now they will bawl the place down. I am guessing 2 more weeks of once a day feeding on the strong lads should see them off it.
    With about another 2 weeks of twice a day feeding on the weaker ones followed by 2 weeks of once a day. All these calves are January born.

It is recommended that they weigh 100kgs at weaning,a bit less for xbreeds. my early feb calves are nowhere this

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭mattthetrasher

i gave them about 2 gallons this year on auto feeder .have them on jfc teat feeders at the moment for whole milk,getting 1.5 gallons and nuts will halve that next week with only one feed per day. used to give 5 ltrs only but to be honest after giving them 2 gallons and see the difference 5 litres is not enough imo

Advertisement