Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hairdressing Shop taking advantage of "apprentices"???

Options
  • 24-03-2012 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

I write this as a famiy member of somebody that just received the following letter:

Dear xxxx,

On xxth xxxx 2012 you will have completed your 4 year apprenticeship. Due to the decline in business at the moment another stylist is not needed as most of the staff are on short time. It's with regret I have to give you 2 weeks notice from the xxth xxxx 2012, of termination of your employment.

Yours Sincerely,
    <snip>
    ____________________________________________________________________________

We were expecting this to come. All apprentices are receiving the same letter for years now. He recruits new apprentices all the time and gets rid of those that are coming up to 4 years there. It's a conveyor belt of cheap labour with no entitlement to reducdancy once the 4 years is up. No training was given, apart from the most basic. This person was mainly washing and blow drying.

My question is this: Is this <snip> doing anything wrong legally? He certainly is morally. Is there anybody he should be reported to? Has my family member got any entitlements that s/he can claim?
    <snip>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I've edited your post to remove personal details. Please don't use this forum to campaign against companies.

Advertisement