Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying in 3rd trimester

Options
  • 24-03-2012 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on flying in the 3rd trimester. I've the opportunity to go away for a week in June when I'll be in my 3rd trimester (32 weeks flying out, 33 weeks coming back). I'd be flying with Ryanair who will carry you up to 36 weeks in an uncomplicated pregnancy and with a doctor's letter.

So far my pregnancy has been very straightforward and uncomplicated (touch wood) so hopefully I'll still be in good shape by then! Just wondering does anyone have any experience of flying at this stage of pregnancy? The flight will be less than 3 hours so not too long.

I'm between two minds whether to book the flights or not, on one hand I would love a holiday especially since it'll be a long time before I can go away again once baby comes. But on the other hand I'm worried about paying for the flights and then when the time comes I've developed complications and can't go, or worried that it's a bit late in pregnancy to be flying, just in case God forbid something was to happen when I was abroad.

Any thoughts/advice? Thanks! x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

When I first read the title of this thread I instantly got an image of a heavily pregnant woman soaring through the sky like Superman with a cape and everything!

This is what it says on Ryanair FAQ page

PREGNANCY

Once an uncomplicated pregnancy enters its 28th week, expectant mothers are required to carry a 'fit to fly' letter completed by their midwife/doctor click here to download the template letter. This completed letter should be dated within 2 weeks of your booked flight and presented at either the bag drop desk and/or the boarding gate.
    Ryanair reserves the right to refuse travel of an expectant mother over 28 weeks pregnant who does not present a completed "fit to fly" letter from their midwife/doctor at either the bag drop desk and/or the boarding gate.
    For uncomplicated pregnancies travel is not permitted beyond the following dates:
    · For an uncomplicated single pregnancy, travel is not permitted beyond the end of the 36th week of pregnancy
    · For an uncomplicated twins, triplets etc. pregnancy, travel is not permitted beyond the end of the 32nd week of
    pregnancy

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭0ctober

Bahaha a flying pregnant woman!!! Thanks for that Mink I had seen it already, I was just wondering has anyone else flown at this stage of pregnancy or would you reckon it would be ok?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

My wife flew to Rome at 33 weeks and she was fine. All the airlines are afraid of is of you giving birth in the air so that's why they wont let you fly after 36 weeks.
    If it was me I would go, cos like you said it might be a long time before you get the chance again!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

I guess the main thing I would be considering is whether you would be happy with the medical treatment you would receive if required when abroad - this doesn't simply mean a prem baby but any pregnancy related medical needs you may need while away.
    Also, if you don't have one get an E111 card (is that what it's called) if it's an EU destination as it allows you free medical care.
    You could always discuss it with your doc but I would assume there is no issue with the flying part or the airlines wouldn't take you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Hi, I am only 19 weeks but flying in two weeks time, I have to get a fit to fly letter from my doctor, I know its different from being as far on as u but I got travel insurance when I was booking, as I couldn't get hold of my doctor the day I was booking flights and this will entitle me to full refund if I cant go and produce a doctors letter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Hi are these flights very expensive? Can you live with losing the money if at the time you cannot go?
    Could you wait until closer the time to book them?

I had an uncomplicated pregnancy until I hit about 32 weeks and since then have suffered big time with my pelvis and SPD. I can barely walk sometimes and also suffer from very bad swelling that is worse in this bloody heat! Now this is only me, you might be perfectly fine but I thought I would be too.

If you read some of the mar/apr/may threads you will see what a lot of the ladies have been going through at that stage of pregnancy.
    Best of luck with your pregnancy and whatever you choose to do!
    P.s. Im 37 weeks and would love a holiday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭cch

TwoMums2Be wrote: »
    Also, if you don't have one get an E111 card (is that what it's called) if it's an EU destination as it allows you free medical care.

It's called the EHIC, get one here - www.ehic.ie

I remember reading somewhere that if you're past the number of weeks allowed or it's not a straightforward pregnancy and you really, really have to fly then the only way to do it is to... bring your own nurse!! :eek:
    Think of the expenses, yikes! Obviously this is only if it's an emergency, not a holiday.

Hhmmm a lot to think about, still undecided! GeeG- so if I had travel insurance and it turned out I couldn't fly for medical reasons would I be able to claim a refund then do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

0ctober wrote: »
    Hhmmm a lot to think about, still undecided! GeeG- so if I had travel insurance and it turned out I couldn't fly for medical reasons would I be able to claim a refund then do you know?

Well that is why I took it out while booking the holiday. As I said above I could not get hold of my doc at that time and I was afraid of losing all the money so I asked the girl on the phone about getting a refund if I wasn't medically able to fly and she said only if I had travel insurance!SO for the sake of €40 for the two of us, I got it! Whoever you are getting insurance with just ask them to make sure! I also applied for one of those european health cards that someone mentioned above, think they are sending out a temp cert for me to bring away with me as I am going next week...Just incase!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

0ctober wrote: »

I think that would only cover you, not a flight companion. Happened to friends of mine who lost thousands on a family holiday to the states a few years back.
    So you should ask before you book.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

Hi October,
    I flew away 2 yrs ago at 30 weeks and was just 32 weeks when coming home. I had no problems whatsoever and no issues at checkin, but I did have the letter from my consultant to say I was fit to fly. In saying all that honestly I was quite nervous on the flight home and was glad to land. The flight socks are a must and I was stiff on the flight so make sure to keep well hydrated and do a lot of moving around. I did request the emergency exit flight for legroom but its nor permitted when you are pregnant so it could be a bit tight in the seat ; )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ACCA1

Hey there

I'm 37 weeks this week and flew to and from London last week, flying home on the last day that I was allowed to fly by ryanair (1 day before 36 weeks).
    I also flew to and from Brussels at 32 weeks. I had no problems flying and felt perfectly comfortable and baby seems happy enough throughout the flight and on landing. They were all short flights though.

That said I had a good chat with two different consultants in Holles Street before each trip to make sure I was happy there was no reason I shouldn't fly before deciding to go. They gave me a fit to fly letter and I had no problems on the flights at all.

I've had a very good pregnancy to date so I suppose it depends on how your feeling generally.Each to their own on flying at this stage and only do what you feel comfortable with.

Have a great holiday if you do go!

Thanks for the replies, just waiting to hear back from the insurance company to see am I covered. Will hold off and book flights closer to the time just in case things change between now and then. Thanks again everyone! :)

Advertisement