Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

things you couldn't have got by without

Options
  • 24-03-2012 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hi, I'm due my baby in July and am buying everything in sight at the minute. I'm a one for being well prepared well in advance! Just wondering if any parents had any items during the first few months that made life easier? Big or small, it doesn't matter. If it helped you I'd like to know! Thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Kalimah

skeptik wrote: »
    Hi, I'm due my baby in July and am buying everything in sight at the minute. I'm a one for being well prepared well in advance! Just wondering if any parents had any items during the first few months that made life easier? Big or small, it doesn't matter. If it helped you I'd like to know! Thanks :D
    Heaps of bibs and glass feeding bottles if you can get them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Have been thinking about this and every time the Babybjorn Babysitter bouncer comes to mind. It was expensive but we use it numerous times every day and have done from 3 days old until now 14 months later. It's great for putting her in so I can get some jobs done and she loves sitting in it.
    Use it to sit her in for feeding too.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

Angel care mat.It sets an alarm off if it doesn't feel heart beat. i was very nervous coz my daughter was a month premature. Even though she was 8lb 6oz she still was breathing very quietly. They're probably about 70 quid now but it's just for piece of mind.I have a son now too and used it with him and also lent it to a friend. its just a very good modern thing that helps parents sleep a little easier.Its also a monitor so you can use it just that way and turn off the heart beat detector with it. The only thing is that you can't have a wind up mobile over the cradle or cot as it detects that and the alarm would go off once the mobile was finished running. best of luck. its such a special time and passes by so fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Babygrow. Made night times so easy.

Plus my wife. Parenting is all about teamwork. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I used the old fashioned 'nighties' for my son, they look like a cross between a sleepsuit and a grobag- but the bottom kind of pulled together - like a drawstring idea - made changing nappies in the night a breeze:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

I got a wicker basket and put a pile of nappies, wipes, creams, infacol etc in it. I used to bring it upstairs at night and down again in the morning. Found it really handy having everything in one place in the early days.

From about 2 months I have found she loves watching the mobile above her cot. Even if its just while I have a shower or something she is really happy to lie there and look at it. She also gets a good bit of use out of her bouncer.

She's 3.5 months now and I recently bought a play mat for the floor with an arch thing over it which has toys hanging from it. She LOVES it. One thing I recommend when buying one of those is that you get one that also has stuff for them to play with when they are on their tummy as well as on their back. The one I got doesn't have anything like that so I can see myself buying another one soon enough.

One other thing I'd hold off on buying a load of wipes. I bought a lot when they were on offer before she was born - you'd often see them 5 for 5 euro. Anyway, I got the pampers sensitive ones and she had a pretty bad reaction to them so I ended up giving them away.

Good luck!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'm in the middle of a freezer clear out, and plan bulk-cook dinners and freeze them so that we can just feed ourselves quick and easy when baby comes home.

Any kind of "wet" meals - pasta sauces, curries, stews, casseroles, lasange, soups, shepherds pie, cottage pie, homemade pizza, are all contenders - the lasange and shepherds pie will go into those foil trays (tesco's) and the other ones that are ok to just microwave will go into the plastic chinese takeaway containers which are perfect portion size and stack neatly in the freezer.

Since I hope to breastfeed, I am concious that I want to eat healthy and home made where possible, and they taste far nicer than the shop bought ready meals that are full of salt and preservatives anyway.

The baby changing basket is a great idea. Gonna steal that :p

My sister found muslin cloths invaluable.

I used the basket idea too on my 2. I had 2 ,one upstairs and one down. Also what was handy was a pack of those terry towel nappies. I never used them as nappies, I threw them over my shoulder to catch the burp ups, they are thicker than those muslin things so after at catching the spills. Then as the kids got older they've been put on laps to keep meals from being to messy,they've been used to clean up sick and eventually they were used to clean up accidents while toilet training. The great thing is that they can be boiled for hygiene. The list goes on. There's 6 in a pack and I got 2.;-)Lol they were never used nappies!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Muslin cloths from ikea - they covered a multitude of purposes
    A microwave steriliser from mothercare - a lot cheaper than an identical one in boots and very useful as I breastfed so had no need for a big steriliser
    Arms Reach Co-sleeper Cot - another invaluable thing for a breastfeeding mother and baby. It folds up so doubled up as a travel cot

This was the best, most useful present I got. Again as a breastfeeding mother I didn't need a big changing bag for carrying bottles so this was fantastic.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000EDJ19Y

An amber teething necklace - I put it on my son at 7 months and has saved us a fortune in calpol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I got a "baby hoodie" for my friend - she says she uses it LOADS when she's bringing the kid in the car etc. Handy thing to have, apparently! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

A Braun thermometer! They are about 70e in the chemist - but 10yrs on, I still use it!

My lad suffered with throat infections for years until he got his tonsils out when he was 4, and I always knew when to get the calpol in, once the thermometer showed the signs. A great investment imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Dr Browns Bottles if you are Bottle Feeding
    Stock up on things like Wipes & nappies
    Decent baby sling
    Thermal Themometor
    Gripe Water

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Oh and the burpy cloths from IKEA - invaluable.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ghosttown

I think i said it before when the same question was asked, but for a summer baby, get black-out curtains, you will glad of them for the next few years when you need the baby to sleep.....and for you too !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

A break before the madness begins: book a week somewhere (sunny preferably but anywhere in reality) that'll just be you and the other half and chill with some good books / dumb magazines / whatever you're into. Times like that become incredibly rare for parents!

And secondly: start collecting babysitters!

ghosttown wrote: »
    I think i said it before when the same question was asked, but for a summer baby, get black-out curtains, you will glad of them for the next few years when you need the baby to sleep.....and for you too !
    yes, I 2nd this and there is actually a portable one you can buy and stick up over windows because baby will probably start in your room and then move when a little older. I think it won awards. Nearly sure I have seen it in smyths

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

For yourself

Loads cheap knickers (pennys great) that you can throw out
    Maternity pads
    breast pads
    feeding bra - if feeding babes yourself
    Front opening nighties/pj tops

For first few weeks baby actually doesnt need a lot if feeding yourself

Wipes
    Nappies
    nappy sacks
    sudocream
    vests
    babygros
    blankets
    bouncer comes in handy

good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭skeptik

Thank you all so much, all the info I've been given is gonna be invaluable, I can feel it!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I'm actually going to go against the grain and say not to buy stuff yet (apart from the essentials of course). I say this for two reasons

1. all babies are different. yours may sleep like a log in broad daylight so no blinds needed or hate the bouncer (mine does) etc so you might end up with a lot of unused stuff

2. being at home with a baby can make days very long. If you have a reason to get out and about (to buy that bouncer that it turns out he actually likes etc) then it does give your days more structure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I totally agree with hunnymonster. We bought so much stuff in advance that we didn't use or our little lad had no interest in. Also your days on maternity leave probably won't be filled with long lunches with other mammies so it's definitely nice to have things to do. I spent most of a day choosing a high chair/booster seat. What I actually bought at 5.5 months was totally different to what I would've bought when I was pregnant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

If you don't know the sex of the baby, don't buy anything other than a couple of babygrows and vests for the hospital.
    I had loads of lemon, green, white babygrows and the day after the baby was born everyone had brought in something pink and the neutrals never really got a look in ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Forgot to say dont buy newborn babygros/clothes, get the up to 3 months stuff. Most babies only get one or two uses out of newborn stuff then outgrow it. With our first he didnt fit into the stuff we had when he was born, OH had to run over to Dunnes to get bigger clothes for him.

You dont need loads of "baby equipment", all they need are cuddles and milk! And we only ever had one of the basic bouncers for our 3, none of those ones that play music or are battery operated. Once they are mobile, they wont go near them anyway.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'm actually going to go against the grain and say not to buy stuff yet (apart from the essentials of course). I say this for two reasons

1. all babies are different. yours may sleep like a log in broad daylight so no blinds needed or hate the bouncer (mine does) etc so you might end up with a lot of unused stuff

2. being at home with a baby can make days very long. If you have a reason to get out and about (to buy that bouncer that it turns out he actually likes etc) then it does give your days more structure.

I'd agree - We got a car seat and a buggy, bedding and a cot matteress new I got a really cheap microwave steriliser and some bottles as they were half price in Argos. Our cot was given to us, as was the moses basket, and baby bouncer chair. Clothes wise, I have just got enough to see baby through maybe the first week - loads of people get clothes, plus the family have loads to give us when we find out if its a boy or girl. The rest we will buy as required. The only other thing I am going to get this side of birth is a monitor.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Dunnes newborn stuff is quite small,it is alot smaller then Tescos so beware of that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I'm really glad you wrote this. I'm 23 weeks and was really starting to freak out that I've not much bought.

I'll just get the essentials (cot & car seat & the usual nappies etc) and wait til after I get to know this little person what else to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jecca1

Loved the Lodger Bunker. DD is still using it at 3. Well worth every penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

A tumble dryer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Haven't read the whole thread so apoligies if its been said already, but a bottle warmer are lifesavers imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

This was a life saver for me, just around the house, or going out when I was breastfeeding! They will be happy in the sling forever!! If you want discreet feeding or on the run feeding!!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSS7o3cJj40CtZAD1rQE4REU6wr4f4qqCSyRoKbfwIwxzjmBWl5

Advertisement