Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One is ashamed to hail from Tipperary.

• 24-03-2012 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭

Banned from every pub in UK - drunk Tipp man

A Tipperary man has been banned from every pub in the United Kingdom for a year after he was found drunk in Windsor Castle, just yards from Queen Elizabeth's private apartments.

Thirty-two-year-old Robert Pennefather from Mullinahone appeared in court yesterday after he was arrested by police in November. He had climbed over an eight-foot gate.

Judge Howard Riddle said he was satisfied that Mr Pennefather posed no risk, but he sentenced him to two weeks in jail and fined him £1,000.

The incident recalled another in 1982, when Michael Fagan sat at the end of the Queen's bed talking to her before police arrived.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/banned-from-every-pub-in-uk--drunk-tipp-man-544776.html#ixzz1q2McDaD4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

Yeah, should've pissed on Lizzy while she slept. What was he thinking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Ahh Pennefather a well known Tipp name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

He was a long way from Tipperary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Great to see the Pennefeathers have not been consigned to history. They have been a considerable (positive) influence on both Tipperary and on Irish life for hundreds of years.

However, this is a very alternative way for a Pennefeather come to public attention. I like the outlandish punishment - "a ban on every pub in the United Kingdom". Certainly one of the strangest penalties I've ever heard. I've often heard of Irish judges ordering individuals to stay away from certain towns, but never heard of an outright ban on entering any pub in the land. It seems almost mediaeval.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

How could one be ashamed of being from Tipp, The home of Hurling, Hon Tipp!!! Bate those cats!!!, Whop ya boya!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,141 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Judge Howard Riddle said he was satisfied that Mr Pennefather posed no risk, but he sentenced him to two weeks in jail and fined him £1,000.
    benway wrote: »
    Yeah, should've pissed on Lizzy while she slept. What was he thinking?

How very apt as the judge's brother could be Jimmy Riddle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

How could one be ashamed of being from Tipp, The home of Hurling, Hon Tipp!!! Bate those cats!!!, Whop ya boya!!!

A post that simultaneously advances and confirms its central proposition.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

later12 wrote: »
    I like the outlandish punishment - "a ban on every pub in the United Kingdom". Certainly one of the strangest penalties I've ever heard. I've often heard of Irish judges ordering individuals to stay away from certain towns, but never heard of an outright ban on entering any pub in the land. It seems almost mediaeval.

Means he probably won't want to bother visiting the UK if the pub scene is denied to him :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

How does her majesties police force ensure that this good fellow is not seated on a stool in a bar somewhere in Kilburn high street this morning.

When I frequented such establishments one would never see a policeman anywhere near the vicinity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

Shame (and pride) based on accident of birth is rather silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

A Tipperary man has been banned from every pub in the United Kingdom for a year after he was found drunk in Windsor Castle, just yards from Queen Elizabeth's private apartments.

Thirty-two-year-old Robert Pennefather from Mullinahone appeared in court yesterday after he was arrested by police in November. He had climbed over an eight-foot gate.

The incident recalled another in 1982, when Michael Fagan sat at the end of the Queen's bed talking to her before police arrived.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/banned-from-every-pub-in-uk--drunk-tipp-man-544776.html#ixzz1q2McDaD4

Have you anything of your own to add to this thread at all or are you just going to post random news stories?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

Have you anything of your own to add to this thread at all or are you just going to post random news stories?

Shame makes people act strangely.

stovelid wrote: »
    A post that simultaneously advances and confirms its central proposition.

You'd want to get your sarcasm meter checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

If an unfavorable news story should cause embarrassment to an entire county I dont know how Dublin people can show their faces outside of the pale currently.

Christ, they must really have to figure out their security now! He got within feet of Her apartments, apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

One is ashamed to hail from Tipperary.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I think the fine was enough, two weeks in prison and banned from every pub in the UK is a bit OTT.
    It highlights the poor security at Windsor castle, he was some fool of course to think he would not get caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Is it even possible to enforce a total UK pub ban?
    How can they expect every single barworker in the UK to know that this man is not to be served.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

You mean you werent ashamed before?:eek:

John Doe1 wrote: »
    You mean you werent ashamed before?:eek:

Shameful comment John Doe, isn't a bit like the pot calling the kettle black with you being from Donegal and all.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

how does this make me ashamed to be from Tipperary ??

A man from Tipp was arrested and charged for trespass abroad?

No other Irish expat has got in trouble abroad ???

On a side note, what merits his county of note. Cant find articles on Martin Fagan's county of origin listed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

later12 wrote: »
    Great to see the Pennefeathers have not been consigned to history. They have been a considerable (positive) influence on both Tipperary and on Irish life for hundreds of years.

However, this is a very alternative way for a Pennefeather come to public attention. I like the outlandish punishment - "a ban on every pub in the United Kingdom". Certainly one of the strangest penalties I've ever heard. I've often heard of Irish judges ordering individuals to stay away from certain towns, but never heard of an outright ban on entering any pub in the land. It seems almost mediaeval.

A ban from entering licensed premises is not unheard of in Ireland. Quite a common punishment for alcohol related incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Shameful comment John Doe, isn't a bit like the pot calling the kettle black with you being from Donegal and all.:p

Donegal is the most physically beautiful county in Ireland and a bastion of Gaelic culture. Tipperary is a 'Tip':P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I think the aul Windsor wan is making a bit of a habit of getting a "bit of Irish rough".;) Surely no one believed the official tale that was spun when the servants discovered Michael Fagan in her bedroom all those years ago? Intruder me arse! Pull the other one, Ma'am!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Anyway, a drunken lorry driver is not sufficient reason to be ashamed of being from Tipperary. Nor, indeed, would even Michael Lowry be.:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Is it even possible to enforce a total UK pub ban?
    How can they expect every single barworker in the UK to know that this man is not to be served.

They don't, its a security thing that if he's caught in a public disorder offence again related to drink and they have evidence that he's been in a bar then they can find him in breach of his previous order as well as a new one and really throw the book at him.

As well as just a general disincentive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

So a random drunk managed to slip past the Queens security?
    Maybe she should start hiring a different security team.

I'm only half joking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Tipp is a ****hole.

not decent place in whole county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,923 ✭✭✭SeanW

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Nor, indeed, would even Michael Lowry be.:D:D
    No for a county to re-elect him so often ...

Tipp is a ****hole.

not decent place in whole county.

What about Roscrea? Savage place altogether and home of the DEFLEFTHAND.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

:o that's where i'm from! Never heard of that name before though. the only effect it'd have on me would be whenever I visit the UK and someone asks where I'm from in Ireland, I may not specify where in Tipp I'm from. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Ted_YNWA wrote: »

On a side note, what merits his county of note. Cant find articles on Martin Fagan's county of origin listed

Michael Fagan was originally from Derry.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

What about Roscrea? Savage place altogether and home of the DEFLEFTHAND.

Whereabouts Kid. Kennedy park, Assumption Park, New Line etc. Im an assumption park boy meself.

Tom Cole for president.

Whereabouts Kid. Kennedy park, Assumption Park, New Line etc. Im an assumption park boy meself.

Tom Cole for president.

What about the Flay? Now there's a president we could be proud of:D I'm living out the Birr Road myself

Yup, an irish president who fought in the nam. Excellent. Stone lunatic that chap. The sort i can imagine breaking into Windsor castle no hassle.

Or Muddy Wright!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

They're mostly from the Thurles area I think.

• Advertisement

Yup, an irish president who fought in the nam. Excellent. Stone lunatic that chap. The sort i can imagine breaking into Windsor castle no hassle.

Or Muddy Wright!!

Ah yea didn't think of the bould Muddy. I'd say I'd still stick with Flay though, I remember he ordained me as a Cardinal one night down in Christy Mahers, it used to be the only pub in town that let the fcucker in.:D

Ah yea didn't think of the bould Muddy. I'd say I'd still stick with Flay though, I remember he ordained me as a Cardinal one night down in Christy Mahers, it used to be the only pub in town that let the fcucker in.:D

Christy Mahers. Jaysus kid you're old skool like meself. I used to drink in there when Peter Tynan was the barman. We'd stay in the Stand or Good Time Charlies (RIP) til closing then go down there cos we knew he'd let us in for a few after hours. Was some hole of a place.

Christy Mahers. Jaysus kid you're old skool like meself. I used to drink in there when Peter Tynan was the barman. We'd stay in the Stand or Good Time Charlies (RIP) til closing then go down there cos we knew he'd let us in for a few after hours. Was some hole of a place.

Ah ya it was at the end, it was a grand place when Christy himself was running things. I drink up in Mickey Phelan's these days, quiet pub with not much happening but it suits me down to ground, I've great old banter with the regulars.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

banned from every pub in the uk. would that have anything to do with him being irish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

paky wrote: »
    banned from every pub in the uk. would that have anything to do with him being irish?

Did you read the opening post?

Did you ever read the thread subtitle?

I'll give you a clue, it wasn't Sober Irishman found on public pathway banned from all pubs in Britain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Why?

I'm more ashamed that tipp people keep voting in corrupt and crooked politicians all the time because "they fixed the road":mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

paky wrote: »

No I would not say it has anything to do with his nationality, would be the same if he was french.

Firefox11 wrote: »
    I'm more ashamed that tipp people keep voting in corrupt and crooked politicians all the time because "they fixed the road":mad:

Lowry is the only fella who ever did anything for North Tipp, We'll turn a blind eye to any nuances and keep voting him in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Oh I thought that Michael Fagan rode lizbags:P:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Sure his mother was a Ryan from Borrisokane, married a travelling door to door sales man called Pennefather, it near killed her poor mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

14,104 of you in Tipp voted Michael Lowery into office in the last election. Oh the shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

I hope this is not just the Tipp of the ice-berg....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

woodoo wrote: »
    14,104 of you in Tipp voted Michael Lowery into office in the last election. Oh the shame.

Where are you from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Firefox11 wrote: »
    Is transport not an important consideration in the local economy where you live?

I know that hideously un-funny McSavage sketch has been done to death, but I wonder if it's too late to point out that Ireland's heavily centralised system of Government leaves voters with little other option but to cetralise their issues in turn. If you had a guy in your constituency who delivered on local issues like Michael Lowry has done, your countrymen would elect him too.

This is not a Tipperary phenomenon... it's not even a rural phenomenon.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

I like threads starting with 'One is ashamed...'

• Advertisement
Advertisement