Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie rules and guidlines

Options
  • 24-03-2012 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭

Good afternoon

I cannot find information in any of boards.ie guidelines or rules in relation to posting in a thread after a vague mod warning has been given.

Also in the case of very long running threads where a mod who is part of the heated discussion rebukes a poster and it is unclear whether it is a warning to the poster/s.

Say the mod is Pm'd about the warning/post being unclear or even if it is a warning and the mod does not reply. Then how long does that warning have 'bite' for in a circumstance where thread runs on for a long long time. Assuming no infraction has been given out on the thread thus far. ...

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

It would probably fall under this entry in the site FAQ.

As you know, it's impossible to legislate for everything in law, and the same is true for an internet site. It's impossible to foresee every particular scenario that will ever occur and create a rule to allow/disallow it. To that end, moderators have been empowered with discretion, and to make calls on issues in their forum as they see fit.

If a moderator has given a vague warning in ES (for example), our charter requests that people's first port of call with the vague warning would be to PM the moderator. If they are in agreement with you, then most would review the wording they have used, and amend it accordingly.

The same would apply if a 'heat of the moment' warning is issued. If anyone has any questions about any moderator comment (which is usually in bold), then sending a PM to the moderator is, in most cases I can think of, the best first course of action. The only exception I can think of is that you and the moderator know each other IRL, and either one of you are conflicted as a result. The best thing to do in such an occasion would be to contact another moderator of that forum for guidance, or if that is the only moderator for that forum, contact the CMod for that Category.

If you have sent a PM to a moderator requesting clarity about a warning given, and they do not reply, 48 hours is usually fair enough to wait. (See point 2 in the link) If you haven't received an answer after that timeframe, then follow the guidelines above for 'heat of the moment'. The only extra thing to do would be to remember to copy the original moderator in the PM you would send to their co-mod or CMod, so when they do come back online, they'll know it's been/being dealt with in their absence.

I think I've covered everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement