Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

car problems still under warranty advice

Options
  • 24-03-2012 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

I'm just looking for advice from fellow consumers who may have found themselves in a similar situation.

Bought a car 4 months ago from a reputable main dealer in Ennis, Co.Clare.
    The car has a 6 month warranty, it is second hand btw, and after driving it for a week I noticed a few problems with it.

I returned it to the garage with a list of the problems and asked for them to be repaired. I got the car back, and what I would consider the more serious problems were not fixed properly.

To make sure I was not imagining these problems, I took the car to an independent mechanic to check out the car and he too confirmed that these were concerns with the car.

I then for the second time brought he car back to the main dealer and asked to be repaired, but alas, still not fixed. And then taken back a third time and surprise, surprise. Still not fixed.

The car still has 2 months minimum under warranty. I have given the garage more than ample time and opportunities to repair the car, which they have not done, and I've had enough.

Anyone had a similar experience? What did you do?
    To be honest I just want my money back because I can't trust the garage with the standard of repairs they are currently carrying out. (This is a main dealer garage too).

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Need details on the car and the problems before you can get any meaningful advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

First off, ask them for your money back, and tell them it's because they've failed to fix the issues with it several times. If they refuse then you can use the small claims court if the cost €2000, and if not then you'll probably need a solicitor.

Having said that, the issues with it would have to be pretty severe, and not just superficial or consumables (tyres, brakes, clutch, etc). What are the actual issues with the car?

The other option would be to have the repairs done yourself, then go after the dealer for the cost of those (possibly using the SCC).

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Issues with car are not superficial. Which are, but are not limited to problems with handling, when braking car veers to left or right. Not caused by balancing/ tracking/ or tyres. Leaking oil. Value is in excess of 6000 euro.
    Independent mechanic has indicated that the oil leak is a serious problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

What did the independent mechanic say was causing the problems? Still don't know what kind of car it is.

gpf101 wrote: »
    What did the independent mechanic say was causing the problems? Still don't know what kind of car it is.

Don't think the type of car or what is causing the problem is relevant.
    Why do you think it is?
    The fact a car which is still under warranty is leaking oil is more of an issue than make/ model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I hope you kept all relevant documentation.

Do you have any record of the attempts the dealer made to fix the issues?

Get the indy mechanic to write up a report.

Sue in Small Claims for the amount to fix the problem.

Also, write to the car company that the dealer represents, detailing your problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

loctite wrote: »
    Don't think the type of car or what is causing the problem is relevant.
    Why do you think it is?
    The fact a car which is still under warranty is leaking oil is more of an issue than make/ model.

That's a bit of an arrogant attitude considering you're relying on free advice from strangers.

Certain models of cars are known to have specific problems when they reach a certain age so the make, model and year are relevant. I suggest you share this information with the people trying to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

As Coylemj says Certain cars have known problems. Knowing what the car and exact problem is would help us to give you better advice and help you avoid further problems. For example if the oil leak was around a turbo, they may well fix the leak and not look at any potential damage caused to the turbo by lack of oil pressure.

coylemj wrote: »
    That's a bit of an arrogant attitude considering you're relying on free advice from strangers.

I've given my location, and I do not wish to specify the model for other reasons
    namely to identify the garage in question, as I said they are the main dealer in the area.

Maybe I am missing the point, or maybe I am not getting my message across correctly.

A car should not be leaking oil regardless of whether it is brand new or second hand. Even if if was a simple task to repair the leak or whether there is some serious underlying problem or further damage is now irrelevant.

The point is the garage has not/ can not/ or will not repair the problem. My issue is no longer about car problems it is a consumer rights issue, ergo the make/model and the problem itself are insignificant. If I wanted to have the car repaired I'd just go to another garage and have the work done and not to boards looking for "free advice".But, I should not have to do that. The car is under warranty.

forgive me if I come across as arrogant, getting off topic, thanks for your input though.

Advertisement