Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decorative bark mulch

Options
  • 24-03-2012 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Do you need to use any sort of membrane material when laying decorative bark? I know it's used for decorative stone but not sure about the wood mulch. I only have an area of about 1.5' x 18' to cover. Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

kkelly77 wrote: »
    Do you need to use any sort of membrane material when laying decorative bark? I know it's used for decorative stone but not sure about the wood mulch. I only have an area of about 1.5' x 18' to cover. Thanks.

You can put down weed membrane (Mypex) if you want to stop any weeds growing and you dont intend to plant any shrubs or flowers.

But if you want to plant some nice blubs,flowers or plants that will spread out as ground cover,then theres no real point in weed membrane on such a narrow plot..

I just had this done too (20 feet by 2 feet wide raised bed built) and opted for just the bark mulch.

Planted bare root hornbeams and then underplanted with 140 "lilly of the valley" shoots.

These spread out and multiply and give lovely white scented flowers from mid may onwards.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

I have a similar plot. Although, I have some variegated holly that's been planted since '08. I'm not planning to put anything else down in that plot.

Any recommendations for a some decent, modestly priced edging Paddy? I have a second plot I'd like to use the bark on too but would like to plant as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭berrypendel

paddy147 wrote: »
    Planted bare root hornbeams and then underplanted with 140 "lilly of the valley" shoots.
    Is that wall in shade all the time? If is not what would you put in front of a north facing wall in shade all the time?

Is your horn beam upright hornbeam? Could you underplant with red robin?

Is that wall in shade all the time? If is not what would you put in front of a north facing wall in shade all the time?

Is your horn beam upright hornbeam? Could you underplant with red robin?

The wall gets some sunshine in the daytime.Its an east-east south facing wall.The bareroot hornbeams are 3 feet tall and were bought in a bundle of 25,and planted last weekend.

Unfortunately I cant help you out with the other parts of your post,as Im not a horticulturalist and would not be in a position to give you propper advice.

Im only a gardening enthusiast,shall we say.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭berrypendel

The wall gets some sunshine in the daytime.Its an east-east south facing wall.The bareroot hornbeams are 3 feet tall and were bought in a bundle of 25,and planted last weekend.

Unfortunately I cant help you out with the other parts of your post,as Im not a horticulturalist and would not be in a position to give you propper advice.

Im only a gardening enthusiast,shall we say.:)
    OK thanks
    for some reason i thought you were;)

• Advertisement

OK thanks
    for some reason i thought you were;)

Nope,I work in the IT/Construction sector.

My girlfriend is a horticulturalist and she got me into the gardening (had no interest in gardening,until I met her),and I now find it very enjoyable and relaxing too.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

You can put down weed membrane (Mypex) if you want to stop any weeds growing and you dont intend to plant any shrubs or flowers.

But if you want to plant some nice blubs,flowers or plants that will spread out as ground cover,then theres no real point in weed membrane on such a narrow plot..

I just had this done too (20 feet by 2 feet wide raised bed built) and opted for just the bark mulch.

These spread out and multiply and give lovely white scented flowers from mid may onwards.:)

That looks really good, did you do all the hard lanscaping yourself?

That looks really good, did you do all the hard lanscaping yourself?

Thanks.

My girlfriend did it all from start to finish.....(digging up/removing old lawn and digging out builders left over/burried sharp sand and hardcore,building up and leveling off new raised topsoil area,all the railway sleeper work,re-jigging the block paving to suit,and then planting it all).

All I did was make the tea,and say a big big thankyou to her for transforming a dull drab weedy garden into something much much nicer and enjoyable to look at.:)

I have lots of giant Alliums growing up out of the chip bark now,and cant wait to see them flower later on in the year and the bees buzzing around them.

Advertisement