Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband/zyxel router issue....?

Options
  • 24-03-2012 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭

Over the past 8 weeks or so, I have been experiencing the following issue....

Router = Zyxel P660HW.
    Broadband provider = Vodafone

I'm not at all sure if this is relevant but the problem seems to have started around the time I was preparing to port over to vodafone (from utv - who I had been with for almost 2 years).

Occasionally, I simply cannot connect to the internet with the router - simple as that. I may be using it happily for hours - then I check wireless networks - and see it try to connect and it can't.
    This may go on for an hour or so - before it's back to normal.

Before....I had to connect my laptop via ethernet cable (over ethernet powerline plugs) to get online. This has worked on all previous occasions. However, when it happened (just now) today, it wouldn't connect via the ethernet plugs but would when I connected directly via ethernet cable.

On a previous occasion, I thought it must be the router - and had vodafone send me a router when I switched to them. When I tried the other router (its the very same ..another zyxel p660), no dice.

I'm at a loss to figure this issue out. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? If not, has anyone any ideas as to how best I could troubleshoot it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Hi. You'll have to be clear whether your computer is losing contact with the router or if the router is losing contact with the internet. Ask if you don't know how to tell the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Zab wrote: »
    You'll have to be clear whether your computer is losing contact with the router or if the router is losing contact with the internet. Ask if you don't know how to tell the difference.

In thinking about it - I guess it must be the laptop (running windows 7) - as another networked device is working fine via ethernet homeplugs. At the moment, I have the same problem as ever - well, that little bit worse - as now, my wireless home network doesn't even show on the list of wireless networks!

The only way I can get online right now is if I have the laptop connected directly via network cable. It won't work over homeplugs now either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

missing wireless driver?

missing wireless driver?
    Ok...but how would this explain being able to use wireless without any issue for the best part of 18 months? Also, I can see other networks listed under wireless networks.

In addition, how does it explain the fact that I can't seem to connect over ethernet powerline plug now (whereas I could up until yesterday).?

missing wireless driver?
    Just checked Device Manager and the driver associated with the wireless card (Intel Wifi Link 5100 AGN) seems fine....
    Likewise, no issue apparent with the ethernet card ( Broadcom NetLink(TM) Gigabit Ethernet)..

Anyone have any other ideas as to how else I could troubleshoot....?

• Advertisement

Have just tried in another location. Can connect to internet via network cable over ethernet powerline plugs - which I can't do right now at home. Can't check wireless (as wireless not activated at this other location..)

Ok, it looks like the more recent problem i.e. not being able to connect over ethernet plugs - was coincidental (damaged network cable).

So....that just leaves the wireless issue. The SSID is not even showing now. Also, another laptop and a couple of smartphones have been tried - and no joy. I guess it must be a router issue. How can I troubleshoot this on the router? Is this a problem anyone else has experience with this router (zyxel - eircom branded router)??

As of today, wireless is back working again. It's hard to fathom. I guess it will work now for a few days - and then this same problem will repeat itself once more. Has anyone out there ever experienced this?

Advertisement