Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Fibre Power 100MB

• 24-03-2012 6:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 448 ✭✭

Hi we are getting the UPC fibre power 100mb. Just wondering about some feedback is it good? Can we expect to usually get 50mb? what typical mb per second do you get? what about ping? average pings? and usual wireless wifi i think can only get 54mbps or something?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

tunedout wrote: »
    Hi we are getting the UPC fibre power 100mb. Just wondering about some feedback is it good? Can we expect to usually get 50mb? what typical mb per second do you get? what about ping? average pings? and usual wireless wifi i think can only get 54mbps or something?

use search button --> in general people are extremely happy and getting speeds close to 100mb/s (wired) wireless cant be specifies because there are many factors that could affect your current speed - such a distance etc..

but i didnt see anyone complaining about it at all. once is up and running you cant get better connexion so far.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

Just got 100mb installed today and got the Cisco 3925 router downstairs beside the tv.

Speeds:
    Wired connection = 92mbps
    Wireless laptop same room = 80mbps
    Wireless laptop upstairs = 64mbps

Wireless desktop upstairs = 29mbps using a D-Link DWA-160 Mini USB wireless N adaptor, the signal strenght of the connection is 'fair' so hopefully I can figure out how to improve this:( Any ideas anyone:confused:

Overall my experience has been positive so far but obviously once I can sort out the desktop speed things will be much better :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

livEwirE wrote: »
    Just got 100mb installed today and got the Cisco 3925 router downstairs beside the tv.

Speeds:
    Wired connection = 92mbps
    Wireless laptop same room = 80mbps
    Wireless laptop upstairs = 64mbps

Wireless desktop upstairs = 29mbps using a D-Link DWA-160 Mini USB wireless N adaptor, the signal strenght of the connection is 'fair' so hopefully I can figure out how to improve this:( Any ideas anyone:confused:

Overall my experience has been positive so far but obviously once I can sort out the desktop speed things will be much better :D
    Regarding the wireless USB adapter, try connecting it to a USB extension cable rather that directly to the USB port on the back or front of your desktop. Having the adapter 3 or 4 feet from the desktop unit should improve the signal strength.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Here is mine at peak time.

You can always expect a bit of slowdown at peak time.

1854148895.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

No complaints here:
    1854243274.png1854243274.png

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 448 ✭✭tunedout

Wow this looks pretty good thanks guys. Looking forward to it now. Ping looks pretty good too.

Id say it should be good enough for gaming even?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Wow this looks pretty good thanks guys. Looking forward to it now. Ping looks pretty good too.

Id say it should be good enough for gaming even?

sure is

well.. I don't get the best ping down to tonga or tazmania but I guess that's to be expected ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

@SickBoy, the adaptor did actually come with an extension cables so will try that cheers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 nooneuno

God Damn !! How much is that costing per month ??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

nooneuno wrote: »
    God Damn !! How much is that costing per month ??

€56 for bb alone, or ~€50 for bb and phone.

• Advertisement

I have had 100mb since January 2011 and haven't had one slowdown or slow download.
    I'd say it depends on how many in your area have it and if they download fairly heavily, 24/7 etc.

I've seen plenty here complain about speeds at peak times.
    Not me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

RVP 11 wrote: »
    double post oops
    why don't you just delete it? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Walker34

Just got upc Fiber power broadband and am getting similar results to others, 80-90 down 8-9 up. I am getting a "latency error" on any of the speed test sites. Anyone know what this might be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Walker34 wrote: »
    Just got upc Fiber power broadband and am getting similar results to others, 80-90 down 8-9 up. I am getting a "latency error" on any of the speed test sites. Anyone know what this might be?

I think you need to install Java for that part of the test to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Shao

Hi all,
    just got my free modem today upgraded from 30 to 100 with a acing of some euros .

My question is how long does it take for the new speed to kick in I'm getting speed tests of 29 ish with a wired desktop .

Just wondering if it's worth ringing before 10pm thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,647 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Got it last week. Went from 30Mbps to 100Mbps (free upgrade) and getting over 100Mpbs regularly wired, most of the time 106-107Mbps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

unkel wrote: »
    Got it last week. Went from 30Mbps to 100Mbps (free upgrade) and getting over 100Mpbs regularly wired, most of the time 106-107Mbps :)

Hey Unkel double checking..so are u still paying the lower monthly fee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,647 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Hey Unkel double checking..so are u still paying the lower monthly fee?

I was on an outdated package or something like that. Fact is that I still pay the same as I did 10 years ago, but now I have very fast internet, HD digital television with all the equipment thrown in (2 hard disk recorders), a free wireless router, a free phone and unlimited worldwide landline calls :D

(10 years ago, or whenever it was, I had their basic broadband (1Mbps? Can't remember), analogue basic TV package and no hardware, no phone service from them)

Now there's progress :)

Advertisement