Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1000 euro

• 24-03-2012 7:24pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭

If you had a spare 1,000 euro to spend on the farm what would you buy? I know if anyone asked me what was the best value I ever got from a 1000 it was on putting in paddocks.

Right now I reckon a scales for weighing cattle would be what it would be spent on, but with a lot of thieving going on maybe some money spent on security or freeze branding would be no harm.:confused:

So if you had a grand to spare what would you buy?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

a hydraulic mchale bale handler for front of 860

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

just paid €970 for alarm system for house... alot of go boys around here... going away for a few days so hopefully money well spent - if i had €1000 would put it in to roadways around the farm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

i bought 2 new tyres for the front of the tractor today so i would put it towards new ones for the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

my own flask for straws so hopefully my air guy would stop using my bought
    in straws on neighbours dairy cows......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

whelan1 wrote: »
    just paid €970 for alarm system for house... alot of go boys around here... going away for a few days so hopefully money well spent - if i had €1000 would put it in to roadways around the farm
    would probably spend the €1000 on more special needs assistance for my nephew.. sorry for being repetitant.. spent afew hours with him today and it would be mnoey well spent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭iano93

Reseeding, grassland management, further paddocking...All about best utilizing grass..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Can I add one or two zeros to the amount you said, you get F all done nowadays for a 1000:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

Can I add one or two zeros to the amount you said, you get F all done nowadays for a 1000:(

But not easy to have €1k to spare never mind €10k:o
    If ya have kids ans stuff .......... spare € even in good prices, is well earned.
    Hear what you are saying though. Thing is to allocate the €1k to something which gives a return.

I'd spend it reseeding, you would get a bit done, if you didn't have to put in drains etc, before hand. Fastes way in stock farming to see a return in my eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Its gas to think that today you would be hard pushed to buy 2 continental bull sucks for 1000 :eek: ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Richk2012 wrote: »
    Its gas to think that today you would be hard pushed to buy 2 continental bull sucks for 1000 :eek: ....

That is one thing I would not buy however if I had a grand to spare I trade the spreader and get a hydrulic shut off one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

a cattle box second hand, always anoying the brother for a loan of hes:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

to true,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

blue5000 wrote: »
    If you had a spare 1,000 euro to spend on the farm what would you buy? I know if anyone asked me what was the best value I ever got from a 1000 it was on putting in paddocks.

Right now I reckon a scales for weighing cattle would be what it would be spent on, but with a lot of thieving going on maybe some money spent on security or freeze branding would be no harm.:confused:

So if you had a grand to spare what would you buy?

Half a decent suckler cow :P:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

leg wax wrote: »
    i bought 2 new tyres for the front of the tractor today so i would put it towards new ones for the back.

new one!! not new ones!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 charlie haughey

would buy me a good few hours on the high stool having the craic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 107

http://www.jebbtools.ie/.Weldmate-Multi-184HF-TIG-ARC-PLASMA_05169.htm

Welds from 0.3mm to ~7mm , cut 12mm all in one box - useful for repairs ?

http://www.jebbtools.ie/.16-ton-Pipe-Bender_LD-B02161.htm - pipe bender for making cow guidance systems etc ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Reseeding and fence 25 acres
    drinkers to all above
    to buy 30 sucklers
    repairs to existing slatted shed
    build new slatted shed

at this stage it just feels like i collect and deliver money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

What my father did with the rough half of it, knocked a ditch between a hill & pasture, loads of trees in it for firewood, spread hayseed for him on it Sat morning. So we gained a small bit more percentage in grazing land and easier access to the meadows below. Next POA is to take out a broken ditch above that hill and reseed it all. It's not marshy land, just near our well-pump which is 127 feet down, gain more grazing and again easier on him. May put up a bit of wooden fencing at that to allow a paddock for calved cattle.
    In the long run, at the current high prices, I think investing money gained on cattle is better invested into improving the current farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

whelan1 wrote: »
    - if i had €1000 would put it in to roadways around the farm

1000 euro wouldn't do much roads unfortunately.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭foxylock

Fencing, fencing and more fencing......... damn you sheep!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

think id chance tractorgps.co.uk for grassland fert and spraying....
    make it easier to get jobs finished in the dark:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

49801 wrote: »
    Handy alright. Just starting to get used to mine. Just keep an eye on non white polywire, not much fun cutting it off the wheels of the tractor in the dark:(.

4 250gallon JFC water troughs with ball valves for my 1k. More or less finish my water supply upgrades:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

1st €1,000 - New cattle crush gate and crush

2nd €1,000 - a weight scales for the cattle .

3rd €1,000 - Up grade a few gates and water drinkers

4th €1,000 - Install some method of moving water from a fresh stream and piping to water drinkers and sheds

5th €1,000 - Either a fodder beet pulper for next winter or 2nd hand agitator

then about another €50k to finish the sheds and yard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

5live wrote: »
    Handy alright. Just starting to get used to mine.

did you go for the tractorgps.co.uk system? how you finding it?

would it be good enough for spraying grassland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

More permanent fencing

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JOAT

Got one myself a few weeks ago. Takes a bit of getting used to alright but will definitely pay for itself as I used to be driving much too close when spreading fertiliser.

Ya i would say it should be ok. Maybe set the width to slightly narrower than your working width to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

No i went for the Trimble EZ 250. I was worried about satellite signals as some i got on demo only picked up a few satellites. The Trimble picks up 8-9 and the Topcon 11-15 and that has a huge bearing on accuracy and constant signal access

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Muckit wrote: »
    More permanent fencing

Same as that.

Advertisement