Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wahlburger to open in Ireland

• 24-03-2012 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Mark Wahlburg said he would be opening outelts of his burger joint Wahlburger in Ireland and the UK and I'm just wondering if ayone has been to their location in Boston? Is it good etc?
    It's been massively successful, nice to have more burger joints opening here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It'll have to be something special to move me from Jo'burger. Compared to five or six years ago when Eddie Rockets was the only show in town, we're pretty well served in Dublin at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

We don't have proper American style burgers here at all, with the exception of Eddie Rocket's. Lots of places serve gourmet burgers, but they're usually not juicy the way American burgers are. It would be great to see them coming here.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

I agree dudara, never been to a burger place here that ask for my preference of doneness and it always comes out like a hokey puck.
    Would be nice to see something like Michael Symon's Burger Spot or even Shake Shack style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    I agree dudara, never been to a burger place here that ask for my preference of doneness and it always comes out like a hokey puck.
    Would be nice to see something like Michael Symon's Burger Spot or even Shake Shack style.

They ain't allowed ask how you would like your burger done. Well-done is what the folks in the FSAI/HSE have stipulated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,129 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Sergeant wrote: »
    They ain't allowed ask how you would like your burger done. Well-done is what the folks in the FSAI/HSE have stipulated.

Show me where it "ain't allowed".
    People say this all the time but I've never seen it written anywhere that a burger "must" be well done.

Also, there is a big difference between 'cooked through' and the dried up biscuit that usually passes for a burger in these parts.

I almost never order burgers in Ireland because of this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

It would seem to me that any practice that, in the opinion of a health officer, could 'endanger public health' can be stopped.
    It might only be a matter of time before we get some health officers who consider rare steak or raw fish as dangerous to public health.
    I think we need the banned practices written down rather than being left to the opinion of individual officers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Sergeant wrote: »

Elephant and Castle do ask and do serve their burgers how you want them. Which was mentioned in an article around the same time as the Jo Burger thing AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

tribeca in ranelagh also ask how you want your burger cooked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

wasn't impressed with shake shack in the states (NY) but found a great place in boston called 5 napkin burger...nomomnom - One of my current Dublin faves is the hole in the wall burger. and Byrnes in the epicurean is very good too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Melendez wrote: »

It common practice because minced meat is not sterile unlike muscle tissue like steak. Of course we have the foodies outraged because they can't buy a medium rare burger but think about the impact on Irish Beef Exports if we had an ecoli burger scare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

steak tartare isn;t just mince. It's minced jsut befroe serving for the reasons you mentioned above. Chopped fillet isn't tartare

It common practice because minced meat is not sterile unlike muscle tissue like steak. Of course we have the foodies outraged because they can't buy a medium rare burger but think about the impact on Irish Beef Exports if we had an ecoli burger scare.

I think at this stage we understand the difference between steak and mince.

That comment on Irish beef exports is irrelevant as Irish beef is exported raw where we have no control over what happens it. A restaurant food poisoning case in Ireland wouldn't make Irish news not to mind international.

I would prefer a system of control where we ensure meat is reared, slaughtered, butchered, and handled in such a way as to minimise risks rather than be haphazard about it and then cook the bejasus out of everything to ensure it's safety. I just think that if a restaurant can show that it has good practice, then it should be able to serve meat how it wishes if there is a market for it - if that means quickly searing a steak and then mincing it, that's fine with me but a complete blanket ban is a very blunt instrument.

What get's me is that I understand that most restaurants won't serve a rare or medium rare burger but often if I as for it medium well rather than well done, or cooked just a little less than they normally do it, I'm treated like I've asked for a plate of live scorpions.

I'd be far more worried about being poisoned by a food professional who is just blindly following a set of rules rather than having a good understanding of food hygiene - I think the latter is far less likely to make mistakes.

I think at this stage we understand the difference between steak and mince.

That comment on Irish beef exports is irrelevant as Irish beef is exported raw where we have no control over what happens it. A restaurant food poisoning case in Ireland wouldn't make Irish news not to mind international.

I would prefer a system of control where we ensure meat is reared, slaughtered, butchered, and handled in such a way as to minimise risks rather than be haphazard about it and then cook the bejasus out of everything to ensure it's safety. I just think that if a restaurant can show that it has good practice, then it should be able to serve meat how it wishes if there is a market for it - if that means quickly searing a steak and then mincing it, that's fine with me but a complete blanket ban is a very blunt instrument.

What get's me is that I understand that most restaurants won't serve a rare or medium rare burger but often if I as for it medium well rather than well done, or cooked just a little less than they normally do it, I'm treated like I've asked for a plate of live scorpions.

I'd be far more worried about being poisoned by a food professional who is just blindly following a set of rules rather than having a good understanding of food hygiene - I think the latter is far less likely to make mistakes.

It exists its called HACCP but very often the problem is the human element.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Mark Wahlburg said he would be opening outelts of his burger joint Wahlburger in Ireland and the UK and I'm just wondering if ayone has been to their location in Boston? Is it good etc?
    It's been massively successful, nice to have more burger joints opening here.

Link not working

Each of those recipes is finely chopped steak to the same degree as mincing. Mincing actually means to chop finely. Chopped alone could mean any size, which is why I what I was clarifying.
    Importantly in the recipes it is carried out when preparing the meal, as I said.

How do you know they used supermarket mince in French restaurant you've been to? They hardly announced it did they.

If they were serving a lot of Tartare, I wouldn't be surprised if they had a mincer preparing batches as needed. But in a regular kitchen, say in ireland, they simply use a knife.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Elephant & Castle did serve them anyway you wanted, I remember that - butIm going back at least 6 years so maybe things have changed. The tips the floor staff in that joint made were unreal so Id say they would do anything you want on/to/with your burger as long as they got the tip from your table.

I like Bobo's - again, yonks since I was there.

So where and when is Wahlburgers opening anyone know?

• Advertisement

Supermarkets have different fat levels depending on the product price point, i.e Tesco has Value, Standard, Finest all of which have different fat levels.

I was distinguishing between chopped generally and minced with a knife. As I explained already. I'm not really interested in arguing over somethign as trivial. Its not relevant to the thread's discussion, rare burgers/mince.
    I never said they used Supermarket mince. I said they used supermarket quality mince. i.e there was a level of fat in it that you would not get in a good quality meat typically used in Ireland for the dish. It is possible they minced prior to service, obviously I have no way of knowing. In 2 cases the tartare was made up at the table with a portion of mince taken from a basin (for want of a better word) on the trolley so it obviously was not minced to order. On other occasions it appeared obvious they were not the sort of places that would mince to order.
    Good quailty meat has some fat. Probably 5-10%.
    The fat level should be the same for tartare and minced steak bought in a supermarket. I have no idea why you think it would differ.

And I never said "to order". I said "just before serving", and "mincer preparing batches as needed". Which could easily be exactly what you describe. The reason have been stated lots of times. Contamination. You yourself mentioned mincing freshy in relation to burgers.
    But I don't understand why you think this wouldn't happen with tartare in france in order to remove the contamination risk.

You initially said that it might be a "massive and possibly incorrect generalisation". I'm just saying that imo, it was exactly that. To be safe, Tartare should be made from fresh steak and freshy minced, I've no reason to suspect that this doesn't happen in anything other than dodgy places.
    If that is not your experience, maybe you might share your experience, as opposed to just ignorantly (and incorrectly as you yourself now seem to agree) contradicting.
    Ignorant. :rolleyes:
    I'm not interested in a childish insults. You can do as you wish.
    Ironic that you say i have no manners when you're the one posting thisn like the above.

My experience;
    Of the two times. I've no idea how fresh the steak was and how long it had been minced/chopped. How could I. But everyone was fine.
    Maybe I give kitchen too much credit assuming they do it right, but hopefully not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

If somebody described a steak as being chopped, I would picture a chopped steak, not a minced steak, which I assume Mellor also did.

For some inexplicable reason, you seem to be taking this very personally and feel the need to attempt to demean Mellor.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

This thread has gone wildly off-topic. Melendez and Mellor, leave it alone please. Don't post about steak tartare on this thread again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,323 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Anyone see their Wahlburgers reality show? Poor Paul he gets bullied by them all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,793 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Maybe try the TV forum. This thread is dead.

Die, Zombie! Die!

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement