Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scones how to make softer

Options
  • 24-03-2012 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

2 lbs SR flour, half cup of butter or spread, pinch salt and to big mugs of milk. Now then I need them to be soft not hard on the outside, what am I missing please?
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Hard scones = wet mixture. Don't use "spread". Cooking is an art, baking a science. You need to get your details exact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Many thanks, I was just experimenting.
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

enfield wrote: »
    Many thanks, I was just experimenting.
    Kind regards.
    Tom.
    Are you using your oven on fan or convection? Use the latter if you can

Hello duploelabs.
    I only have the fan oven, sorry. I put them in the middle at 200 for about 30 minutes. I wet the tops with beaten egg.
    Cheers.
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

Are you rubbing in your flour and butter or are you putting all into the mixer?

If you're rubbing - Do you have warm hands? is so run them under the cold tap and pat them dry with a towel and as you're rubbing let the crumb fall into the bowl from a height just above the bowl, this will help cool the crumb and catch air giving you a lighter,softer texture.

also, you can let them rest for a few minutes before you put them in to the oven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,505 ✭✭✭Markcheese

1lb flour
    8 fl oz milk
    4 oz butter
    4oz sugar
    1 egg
    1 oz baking powder
    The big thing is work the dough as little as possible once u add liquid ..... My pastry teacher in college wouldn't let us use a bowl( pile of ingredients on table top) to train us to mix quickly and lightly... Bake for 15 to 20 mins at 190 c in a fan oven. Preheat the oven.

Scones : easiest thing to make , bloody hard to make right..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Great tips, I thank you most sincerely and am looking forward to trying them all.
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

If you are happy with the taste of your scone but just find the outside a bit too crusty, I suggest that you wrap the scone in a slightly damp cloth straight after you take it out of the tin. That will soften the crust a bit for you anyway.

Advertisement