Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skinned paw pad

• 24-03-2012 9:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    it would seem that my doggy Cato has skinned a little bit of his paw pads on his two back legs. They're quite small spots and he's not limping or anything. I will be keeping an eye on him to make sure they stay clean and heal up.

We have been playing a lot of fetch on concrete lately so i'm guessing he damaged his paws from the skidding and running etc..

I've seen creams and ointments floating around and i'm wondering are they useful? Does anyone have experience of them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Léan wrote: »
    Hi all,
    it would seem that my doggy Cato has skinned a little bit of his paw pads on his two back legs. They're quite small spots and he's not limping or anything. I will be keeping an eye on him to make sure they stay clean and heal up.

We have been playing a lot of fetch on concrete lately so i'm guessing he damaged his paws from the skidding and running etc..

I've seen creams and ointments floating around and i'm wondering are they useful? Does anyone have experience of them?

Same thing happened to my cocker last year on all his pads, we have a dog walker two days per week plus I was jogging with him 4 days so I guess he got over exercised!

Anyway I went to health store and bought 100% aloe Vera gel, then lathered his pads with thos and wrapped them up in bandages. The pharmacist recommended.

The aloe Vera is great for healing skin plus it safe for dogs if they start licking. Def don't use savlon etc it's not safe for dogs , my guys pads healed up within 5 days....

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

We actually have a few Aloe Vera plants here that are great for cuts and burns etc.. I never thought about using them for Cato.

I just rubbed some gel onto his paws and it seems to be giving him some relief. I will keep at it over the week and hopefully it'l do the trick. :)

Thank you so much for your help :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Léan wrote: »
    We actually have a few Aloe Vera plants here that are great for cuts and burns etc.. I never thought about using them for Cato.

I just rubbed some gel onto his paws and it seems to be giving him some relief. I will keep at it over the week and hopefully it'l do the trick. :)

Thank you so much for your help :D

My dads dog skinned her paw and we put sudocrem on it and it worked a treat! One of my dogs gets a rash from clippers in vets (she is shaved regularly for scans) and vet always tells me to use sudocrem!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

Any antiseptic cream eg. savlon/ germaline
    if you cant keep him off concrete for a couple of days until it scabs over, go get some savlon iodine spray in the chemist and spray it on. it forms a layer over the cut to keep it clean.

Advertisement