Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homemade Pizza going soggy from mozzarella

Options
  • 24-03-2012 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

Hello,
    I love my homemade pizzas and have been doing them for a while. I use a pizza stone, home made bread for the base, past sauce for the sauce and fresh mozzarella (the wet balls) for the cheese.

I preheat the pizza stone for 25 mins to get it hot however when I cook the thing there seems to be a bit of water on the top of the pizza. I am wondering firstly were does this water come from (I'm thinking it's obviously from the water that the mozzarella is kept in) and secondly is there anyway to prevent this water to build up on the pizza without compromising on the fresh mozzarella taste?

Any suggestions or idea are greatly welcome

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Slice it up about 2 hours before you're ready to cook, wrap it in kitchen roll and stick it in the fridge. Should be grand then.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭conor678

irish_goat wrote: »
    Slice it up about 2 hours before you're ready to cook, wrap it in kitchen roll and stick it in the fridge. Should be grand then.

Thanks. What about the sauce? I'm wondering is the store bought pasta sauce also contributing due to it's relative watery nature?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Aw jeez aye. I'd assumed you'd made your own sauce. If you ever see in the pizzeria the tomato sauce they use is almost like a paste that they can spread over the base.

If you're intent on using store bought pasta sauce then you'd want to reduce it down/thicken it up to get rid of a lot of the moisture, but if you learn to make your own you'll get far tastier results.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭conor678

Cool. Thanks for the info. Next time I'll make me own homemade pizza sauce. I'll google a few recipes. Much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

For a quick but tasty pizza sauce... I use

1 Tin chopped tomatoes
    A sprinkle of Italian herbs, (less than a teaspoon) (Its a mixed packet you can buy, I use a bit less than one of the wee packs in it, unless you happen to have oregano, bay leaf, sage etc at hand anyway)
    A teaspoon of tomato purée,
    A teaspoon chilli purée

All into a saucepan, and simmer away till it thickens.

Its absolutely gorgeous. You can add or deduct the chilli to get to what you like, i happen to like mine with a bit of a kick!

Home Made Pizza is the absolute best imo :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Kinda sounds like your oven isn't hot enough. It needs to be baloobas hot!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Also, too much topping = soggy pizza!

This is my sauce. Really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

My brother prebakes the "naked" pizza base for a couple of minutes and then puts on the toppings and bangs it back into the oven for another couple of minutes. Seems to work, the pizza is tasty and crisp.

Apart from that you could try to use the mozarella that is sold in blocks. Its much firmer and not watery.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭MrO

My brother prebakes the "naked" pizza base for a couple of minutes and then puts on the toppings and bangs it back into the oven for another couple of minutes. Seems to work, the pizza is tasty and crisp.

Apart from that you could try to use the mozarella that is sold in blocks. Its much firmer and not watery.

Thats exactly what I do...oven preheated to the highest setting. Base in for a minute or so - back out, toppings on and back in till it's done!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

We just tried our home made pizza again and this time with our new pizza stone .. Pizza still doughy in the middle.. :( also it stuck to the stone. The art of pizza making truly is complicated lol

If we turn the oven up really hot with that not just burn the topping? Thanks all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Rodar08 wrote: »
    We just tried our home made pizza again and this time with our new pizza stone .. Pizza still doughy in the middle.. :( also it stuck to the stone. The art of pizza making truly is complicated lol

If we turn the oven up really hot with that not just burn the topping? Thanks all :)
    Use a little semolina or cornmeal to dust the stone as you put the pizza in, it stops it sticking.
    I used to make them in a woodburning oven and we made them on the peel which was dusted before the dough was stretched.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Made pizza for the first time the other day using this recipe:
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4683/pizza-margherita-in-4-easy-steps

Was perfect, nice and crispy, making another one tonight :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Advertisement