Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hairdressers

Options
  • 24-03-2012 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Around September of last year I got my hair cut. The place I go to is a student training hairdressers, but I've never had a problem there. However, after that time I noticed that my hair was two different lengths on either side when I got home. I called up to complain and they were very accommodating, offering to fix it for free. Went in and got it done no problem. However while I was getting it fixed (by one of the professionals), the student that had cut my hair was also present. He came over at one point to borrow a hairdryer from the professional cutting my hair, and acted very coldly towards me. When I had called up to ask about getting my hair fixed, they asked me who had cut my hair, so I think he was a bit angry that I had complained.

Anyway, fast forward to around Christmas time when I got my hair cut again. This time the same fella cut my hair. When I came in he kept asking things like "I cut your hair before, didn't I?" and "So, were you happy with the last haircut?" which made me a bit uncomfortable, as he had clearly seen me getting it fixed the last time. I also noticed that the first time he cut my hair he'd been very talkative, but this time he didn't say anything to me at all, and again seemed quite cold.

Then I noticed again that my hair was uneven after I went home. The difference this time was not as noticeable, so I didn't do anything about it as I'd been made feel very awkward about complaining before.

So now I have a bit of a hypothetical situation on my hands. I need to get my hair cut again, and am going to go back to the same place. You can't request specific stylists as you would in a regular salon as they are students. So, if it were to happen that I was assigned this hairdresser again, could I refuse to have my hair cut by him, or would I just have to accept it? (You don't know who'll be cutting your hair until you actually sit down in the salon.) I don't want to go elsewhere as the price is very reasonable and I've had much more positive experiences than negative, but I'm scared to make an appointment.

And before anyone says something like they're students so what do you expect, I have never had a problem here before. My hair has always been cut perfectly, and they have professional hairdressers supervising at all times, who then check you hair at the end, although both times the professionals seem to have overlooked the difference in length. I would think that I should still be expected to be given a proper haircut, despite the fact that they are just learning, seeing as I am still paying for the service and there are professionals present.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Of course you can decline to have your hair cut by a specific person, that's your prerogative but they're not obliged to cut your hair either if no one else is available.

It is reasonable to expect a proper hair cut but it's also reasonable to expect your hair cut may not be to professional standards every time, and this is why you are getting a discounted rate. When you told them were dissatisfied with the cut they corrected it for free.

Let the instructors know you're unhappy with that student's cut and your discomfort, they're likely to be appreciative of any feedback which helps them assess the student's abilities both technical and inter-personal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

You said they are students, which is true. Students don't learn at the same rate. This guy needs to learn how to cut hair evenly. So if you do get him again, be assertive when checking your hair is even before you leave. You'll get a decent cut, and he'll learn to take criticism and how to cut even.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement