Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MA in American Studies

Options
  • 24-03-2012 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Interested in taking this course next year.

Anyone on here that has or is currently doing this masters? Any information or advice on the course would be a great help.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Interested in taking this course next year.

Anyone on here that has or is currently doing this masters? Any information or advice on the course would be a great help.

Thanks.

I meant to reply last week, but I can shed a wee bit of info. I did an MA in American History so was able to take some classes from this course. It's really interesting and has aspects of media studies, international relations, globalisation and social studies.

When I was doing the MA the American Studies students could take some history modules too. The class.size is pretty small 12 maybe, but some are bigger with history students.

It's a heavy workload, but the course instructor I thought was brilliant. I'd rather have done this in hindsight. The Clinton Institute.is one of theme nicer venues in UCD too.

At least 1 from when I was there has gone on to do a PhD and another 2 other further studies. There are presentations for many modules, but they were not graded, its more for your own benefit.

The thesis was worth about 30% I think and around 20,000 which is standard (half that for history which I didn't like).

That's all a bit vague.

Advertisement