Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

inheritance tax on 650e ????

• 24-03-2012 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Just recieved a letter from a local solicitor. An elderly neighbour left me 650e in a will....totally unexpected and very welcomed!
    I have a form to fill out and send back to them- that asks me did I get a gift or inherit anything/money since 1991.
    I recieved my parents run down house a few years ago as a gift... It was very run down and worth 120,000e max. I did not pay any inheritance on this property.
    Do i state this in my form that i have to fill out??
    Will I end up paying inheritance tax on 650e?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I'd write it down so that you can't be accused of lying but afaik it won't affect anything since I believe that receipts from parents don't count towards the treshold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

My understanding is that the only gifts that do not count towards any threshold are those between spouses , to my knowledge a gift from Parent to Child may be taxable :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Will I end up paying inheritance tax on 650e?
    Assuming what you received from your parents is the only thing, then it is unlikely. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/capital_taxes/capital_acquisitions_tax.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28 purpleglory

You probably won't have to pay any inheritance tax. You have a threshold of circa 16500 euro worth of inheritances from non relations and distant relations. Assuming that you have not received other gifts from other strangers you should still have this intact.

The gift you received from your parents counts towards a different category and is of no relevance for tax purposes here but you should still mention it on the form that you were sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mrs vimes

Sounds like a standard-type letter from the solicitor.

Contact him and point out that as the amount is less than the small gift exemption (a person can receive up to 3,000 per annum from any other person) it does not count towards any thresholds and so he does not need to know whether you have previously received any such gifts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 purpleglory

No advice is better than bad advice on occasions. SGE won't apply here OP given the fact that your not getting a gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

Many thanks for all your advice..... am going to buzz the solicitor now

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mrs vimes

Thanks, purpleglory, never realised before that there was any difference between gifts and inheritances (prob because they're both CAT).

Are you aware of any others?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

mrs vimes wrote: »
    Thanks, purpleglory, never realised before that there was any difference between gifts and inheritances (prob because they're both CAT).

Are you aware of any others?

There are many AFAIK- one for example relates to claiming dwelling house exemption and conditions thereto

Anyway, it's completely off topic for the OP's purposes

Advertisement