Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi classic restoration suppliers

• 24-03-2012 10:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭

I see Aldi are selling a load of stuff for classic car body work at the moment...
    Compressor, metal shears, cut-off tool and more. Looks really tempting except
    I've never done anything like this before.

SO...Is it better to just let the professionals do the restoration stuff or is it possible for the ordinary joe soap to learn?

My gut feeling tells me that I should leave it to the pros but I'd be interested in
    what others think or how successful their own efforts have been at restoration.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Alright for occasional use, not exactly great build quality like most of the stuff sold there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Alright for occasional use, not exactly great build quality like most of the stuff sold there.

sorry , have to disagree , 3 year warranty on all tools , and granted it is not the same as pro tools it is perfectly acceptable for a home restoration

im currently doing a mgb gt sebring build and using aldi/lidl tools without a hitch , where you might fall down is your skill level , not the tools

one thing to watch out for is the air tools , the compressor just is not powerful enough for the tools they sell , but again the quality is fine for a home resto - just make sure you read up on what pressure they need and match it up against the compressor , small capacity tank on the ones for sale at the moment

if you are a total noob with tools and cars and its a big job you needs doing i would advice at the very least someone with some knowledge looking over your shoulder

many many a resto job started with gusto just to be left as a pile of bits 3 months later never to see the road again

best of luck !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭gn3dr

dj jarvis wrote: »

sorry , have to disagree , 3 year warranty on all tools , and granted it is not the same as pro tools it is perfectly acceptable for a home restoration

im currently doing a mgb gt sebring build and using aldi/lidl tools without a hitch , where you might fall down is your skill level , not the tools

one thing to watch out for is the air tools , the compressor just is not powerful enough for the tools they sell , but again the quality is fine for a home resto - just make sure you read up on what pressure they need and match it up against the compressor , small capacity tank on the ones for sale at the moment

if you are a total noob with tools and cars and its a big job you needs doing i would advice at the very least someone with some knowledge looking over your shoulder

many many a resto job started with gusto just to be left as a pile of bits 3 months later never to see the road again

best of luck !!
    Any pictures or details of the MGB GT Sebring build? I'm planning something similar myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭Gel

Well, I took the plunge and went Aldi shopping.

Got the compressor, shears, cut-off tool, impact wrench, regulator

Hope this stuff doesn't end sitting in boxes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭mk1esc

compressors are only good for pumping tyres up, not great at all for the tools, 3 yr warranty means feck all, the tools are good IMO, last long and work well, the air shears wont work with my compressor at all....:(

i bought the power washer, hose went on it a year or so later, was told to ring this guy, that guy etc, when i got an answer from someone was told the deal on the power washers didnt exist any more :mad: :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

mk1esc wrote: »
    compressors are only good for pumping tyres up, not great at all for the tools, 3 yr warranty means feck all, the tools are good IMO, last long and work well, the air shears wont work with my compressor at all....:(

i bought the power washer, hose went on it a year or so later, was told to ring this guy, that guy etc, when i got an answer from someone was told the deal on the power washers didnt exist any more :mad: :mad:

in fairness it means a great deal , but does sound like you got the runaround with your washer , and yes the air tools they sell dont go great with the compressors , but the tools are great , all you need is a better compressor ................

also the spray equipment was really good , cant recommend enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

If that compressor is that yellow Chinese yoke, give a few months, it's useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Not exactly hard working tools but I bought a worklamp with a 145 amp halogen bulb for 12 quid there last week and its the muts nuts. Lights up the neighbours gardens nevermind under the bonnet. For 12 quid you just couldn't go wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭quickrack

dj jarvis wrote: »

one thing to watch out for is the air tools , the compressor just is not powerful enough for the tools they sell ,

best of luck !!
    This is killing me.
    Bought the Air Shears and on the Aldi Comp it wouldnt cut butter. On a friends it is a great wee tool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There's a shears in my local aldi that's broken. It's not even left the store yet.

(the business end as opposed to something more cosmetic)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭trevorbrady

I have virtually no brand name tools in my garage, it's mostly stocked by Aldi/Lidl brand tools and I can't speak highly enough of them. I have an Aldi yellow compressor going strong after 5 years, I've painted a car with it and numerous smaler projects. I agree though, the small capacity can't keep up with the likes of the air drill/die grinder/cutoff wheel that Aldi sells beside the compressor. It's a shame as I'm sure there are hundreds of disappointed customers purely on this basis.

The 4" angle grinders at Lidl/Aldi are great. I had one for three years and couldn't find the end of it. Until I lent it to a friend and ten minutes later he did :( . I think a little bit of cop-on on how to use tools (as opposed to abuse tools) goes a long way but as they say, common sense isn't that common.

I would recommend Aldi/Lidl tools for general DIY use/home restoration. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

Heres the way I look at it.
    If you have a two and a half horsepower motor constantly running on your compressor to power a handtool of which the electric equivilant would only use a few watts,then your wasting energy big time.
    Have you ever felt the heat from those compressors?:eek:
    Add extra tanks to increase the capacity,old gas cylinders,air brake tanks off trucks?? and run them in series??

Advertisement