Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light weight bi-pod

Options
  • 24-03-2012 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

So in keeping with the rest of my new rifle I'm looking to save as much weight as possible where ever possible,

Next on the menu is a bi-pod, it had to be a swivel model and 9-13 in size. Is there any other companies out there that offer the same standard as Harris but alot lighter?

I know Deben make a good bi-pod but it's the weight that I'm looking to save on not the price! :D

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Try the Harris ultralight. Apparently they are 1/3 the weight of the standard model. no idea on price, availability or more importantly performance, but if it's just weight then these are about as light as you can get.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Ezridax wrote: »
    Try the Harris ultralight. Apparently they are 1/3 the weight of the standard model. no idea on price, availability or more importantly performance, but if it's just weight then these are about as light as you can get.

Hmm always thought the ultralight was jus there standard bi-pod, must look into them. I presume they are made from aluminium?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

If you're looking to save weight, would you consider going without a bipod altogether? Do you carry a pack while stalking? If so, you could shoot prone off that. Or you could get a shooting sling and learn to use it. Also makes shooting from positions like sitting, kneeling and even standing a much handier proposition. Currently in much the same sort of transition as yourself and my stalking rifle won't have a bipod on it for long. Anything I need to do can be done off a pack or the sling, or if I need to carry shooting sticks, I can.

If you're looking to save weight, would you consider going without a bipod altogether? Do you carry a pack while stalking? If so, you could shoot prone off that. Or you could get a shooting sling and learn to use it. Also makes shooting from positions like sitting, kneeling and even standing a much handier proposition. Currently in much the same sort of transition as yourself and my stalking rifle won't have a bipod on it for long. Anything I need to do can be done off a pack or the sling, or if I need to carry shooting sticks, I can.

Thought about that and it may be the way I will go eventually but would still like to have a bi-pod for it, if I can get a lightweight one then I will keep a bi-pod on it,

Don't like sticks, too much fussin around! Like to keep my hands free!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

patsat wrote: »
    Thought about that and it may be the way I will go eventually but would still like to have a bi-pod for it, if I can get a lightweight one then I will keep a bi-pod on it,

Don't like sticks, too much fussin around! Like to keep my hands free!

Yeah, I'd be the same. The sling is a great aid though. Can shoot prone about as well as with a bipod, and if there's any difference, it certainly won't matter on game. It's also useful for shooting from other positions. When you can hold a couple of inches at 200 yards sitting, you'll find you're not arsed getting down prone quite so often!

• Advertisement

patsat wrote: »
    Hmm always thought the ultralight was jus there standard bi-pod, must look into them. I presume they are made from aluminium?
    Don't think so. Their standard bipods come in at around 12-13 ounces (.75 lbs). I know because i weighted them for FTR when i started out.

The ultralight is meant to be around 0.25lb (4 ounces). As said though i wouldn't know one unless someone told me it was an ultralight. No idea what it's made from but aluminium sounds right.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

That be a nice bi-pod. Hope someone finds where you could buy that one. Swivel is the best too

Don't think so. Their standard bipods come in at around 12-13 ounces (.75 lbs). I know because i weighted them for FTR when i started out.

The ultralight is meant to be around 0.25lb (4 ounces). As said though i wouldn't know one unless someone told me it was an ultralight. No idea what it's made from but aluminium sounds right.

From what I can tell, ultralight seems to be just the brand/model name given to their line of bi-pods.

Every website seems to only sell the ultralight bi-pods and they are given the specs of a normal one, just taking midway as an example, ultralight bi-pod but specs say it weighs 14 ounces which is in line with your standard one. :confused:

Please prove me wrong so I can buy a light one! :D

It could be a case of what was on another thread about bullets, and the supplier is "exaggerating" or made a mistake. Either that or i made a balls of it which has been a trend today whatever is going on.

I've bought plenty of bipods over the years. Harris, Deben, etc, but never took any heed of the name. As in Ultralight, etc. So maybe you're right, and the ultralight is the "standard". If thats the case then the only way i know to reduce weight is to go for a shorter legged version.

At 0.75 pounds the Harris is not that heavy at all. TBH if the claim of a 4 ounce bipod were true i'd be interested to see one. At that weight i cannot imagine it being very strong/sturdy unless made of some Kelvar/carbon polymer or titanium which would send the price sky high.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

The deben bipod may be lighter than the harris because it doesnt have any spring legs. The legs fold out manually and lock in place and take a bit of force to close.
    Also adjusting the legs isn't done by the push of a button, you must set them in place by turning the middle part of them.

The one im on about is something like the one in the pic below
    010085.jpg

I had one on the HMR for a while that one of the lads had on the .243 and it was lighter than the harris because it has less parts. It took more of a force to open it than a harris but thats because it didnt have springs to keep it closed

• Advertisement
Advertisement