Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does kennelling cost so much?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

€10 per dog is very reasonable plenty of places charge a lot more. They are not only (if they are a good kennel) charging you to clean up and feed your dogs they are also taking on the responsibility giving them their time and walking them and keeping them secure. They are also running a buisness which means kennel upkeep costs, insurance, other costs like bedding, washing, disinfectants and other costs that occur with any buisness.

We all love a bargain but when it comes to quality care the price doesn't have to be high but it has to be reasonable I'd be very suspicious of an overly cheap kennel. One place a phones a few years back, they are still in buisness, was charing just €15.00 per dog but they said the dogs aren't walked ..which I thought was ridiculous so cheaper doesn't always mean better it's a matter of shopping around.

Kennels generally will charge less if 2 dogs take up the one kennel but they still have to charge for the responsibility and care of the second dog the second dog still need walking etc.at the end of the day for any dog owner two dogs means double the work.

Some places esp. up the East coast are chancers though I know that property/land etc. was more expensive for a time but some of the prices they charge are ridiculous.

I do think home care as in when a dog is taken directly into a home and not into a kennel environment should cost the same or a little more even than a regular kennel and usually they work out the same or sometimes even cheaper than some places.

€10..per dog per day imo is reasonable and if you are happy with the kennel you use then if I were you I'd stick with them it's hard to get a kennel you really feel comfortable leaving pets with so if you do with this place and you find the dogs are well looked after, walked and happy when you collect them then I'd stick with it.

Advertisement