Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book Publishers & Booksellers

Options
  • 24-03-2012 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi All,

Does anybody know the percentage discount that book publishers give to booksellers?

Thanks in advance! :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

somewhere in the 40-50% range, its a few years since I seen the details but thats it approximately. I think its somewhat volume based so the likes of Amazon etc get higher.

Bulk buyers (even if not necessarily for resale - e.g. groups) an sometimes get 30% discounts depending on publisher.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Catalpa32

Cheers TylerIE,

I presently buy from a wholesaler but only get 12.5% discount with sale or return terms.

I'm trying to get a full picture before I potentially push for a bigger percentage.

What would you advise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Catalpa32 wrote: »
    Cheers TylerIE,

I presently buy from a wholesaler but only get 12.5% discount with sale or return terms.

I'm trying to get a full picture before I potentially push for a bigger percentage.

What would you advise?

Im not in the industry so cant advise too much, I get limited specific-interest books from a large traditional publisher at about 50% discount (ex Intl. shipping). A family member was in the industry and used to deal with Easons wholesale but thats some time ago, and they may be gone now. While my understanding is that the wholesaler takes from between 10-30% of the RRP it may be possible to order direct from some publishers. What sort of book retail are you doing - it it Special Interest, General Retail, Online, ?.

Also depending on your scale and based on your current limited discount you may find it cheaper to buy from Amazon or similar (esp if you are able to work on someones affiliate scheme) and resell or return (within 30 days). Unless your doing this purely on a small scale I cant see this being a very high yield way of doing business though!

12.5% sounds ridiculous - you could get up to 10% Affiliate fee with Amazon (although 10% of a lower selling price) so it sounds very poor.

I dont know your situation but perhaps your buying small quantities or not in a traditional retail store.

Advertisement