Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermarket Rip Offs

Options
  • 24-03-2012 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

i have been caught out so many times by Supermarkets particulary Tesco

Selling a product but the price underneath is for the smaller product even though its on the shelf :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

faolteam wrote: »

Selling a product but the price underneath is for the smaller product even though its on the shelf :mad:

Did you get your money back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Did you get your money back?

Not valid for that.

I see it myself and it is in particular Tesco that this practice is prevalent.

Of course they deny it when asked about it by the likes of Conor Pope, but it rarely happens in other supermarkets.

So either Tesco have dreadfully stupid employees who are unable to read(not my experience, so can be ruled out)
    Or, it is a quiet underhand policy operated by managers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

..and customers who are unable to read.

sandin wrote: »
    Not valid for that.

Of course they deny it when asked about it by the likes of Conor Pope, but it rarely happens in other supermarkets.

So either Tesco have dreadfully stupid employees who are unable to read(not my experience, so can be ruled out)

Hang on, the product is priced wrong? So why isn't it valid to ask for your money back? I can understand the odd customer picking up a product and thinking the product price beside or below is the original product price but OP seems to be saying that Tesco have a habit of packing the wrong product infront of a different product price which reading what the NCA says:

NCA
    Traders are required to ensure that prices displayed are accurate and not misleading. Put simply, the price displayed must be the same as the price charged at the till. This also applies to special offers.

If you find goods on sale with no price displayed or with the wrong price displayed, you should inform the trader and contact us.

Maybe people should just report traders like Tesco more to the NCA so pressure is put on Tesco to ensure they have enough resources instore to check the legality of prices and the quality of packing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Maybe if you actually looked at what you were buying it wouldn't happen. But then again its alot easier to just blame Tesco isn't it?

• Advertisement

..and customers who are unable to read.
    lala88 wrote: »
    Maybe if you actually looked at what you were buying it wouldn't happen. But then again its alot easier to just blame Tesco isn't it?

You need to see these things to realise how sneaky it is. The size of the packet would be in tiny font and unless you go up close, you would not see it. Also, descriptions may be similar but not exact.

I read the actual barcode if I'm in doubt and after doing so, you would find some of these sinister product placings quite amazing.

Hang on, the product is priced wrong? So why isn't it valid to ask for your money back?

its not priced wrong, just the wrong product si over / below a similar but not identical product. Might be a different size, might be a different brand, might be a different variety etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭surferdudz

Not valid for that.

Agree, This ie Tesc* 's modus operandi....mislead, mislead, mislead........have stopped shopping there on principle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

Yes, it is easier to blame Tesco especially when imo it is done deliberately.
    I shopped in Tesco in the Uk for many years and never come across this practice, they would not get away with it.

I came across the sneaky positioning of price tickets on many occasions in Tesco here in Ireland, so much so I no longer shop there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Mo60 wrote: »
    I shopped in Tesco in the Uk for many years and never come across this practice, they would not get away with it.

I came across the sneaky positioning of price tickets on many occasions in Tesco here in Ireland, so much so I no longer shop there.

Its done deliberately is it? What may i ask do you have to back this allegation up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

Its done deliberately is it? What may i ask do you have to back this allegation up?

When its been done to me and I have pointed it out to a member of staff, then gone back the next day and found nothing has been changed. This is what I count as deliberate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Where I have seen this in supermarkets and chemists, it's due to 'facing across'. ie the stupid practice of covering gaps by facing across the product either side of it.

This is why places use out of stock labels to cover the price of the out of stock item. if the out of stock label isn't there I end up stooping down and comparing the volume of each packet with the tiny writing on the SEL.

Mo60 wrote: »

I heard a story from a very reliable source that Tesco brought a few Managers over about 3 years ago from the UK to show the Irish how to run stores, this was when Tesco were looking to run Ireland more in line with UK practices. They were shocked when they seen the amount of work the Irish Tesco Nightcrews do compared to the UK. The UK with cheaper wages had 4 times the amount of staff on nightpack than Ireland. The downside with increased efficiency is that checking the barcode or product description is correct is sometimes the last thing on the packers mind when his boss wants him to fill as many gaps as possible and get into the next aisle ASAP.

If you look at the time consuming spaces to pack in each aisle in any detail like the bagged sweets or lightbulbs in most Tesco Irish stores IMHO they are always a mess with prices missing or the same product packed in 5 different places with 3 different prices to make it looked packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

the product for example was flaked tuna and tuna chunks they were deliberately put under the cheaper price so poeple would buy them instead of the dearer one ie

tuna flakes 59
    tuna chunks 69 in tesco was put in the 59 slot vice versa

this is only one product theres loads out there , they are trying to trick u /

its not priced wrong, just the wrong product si over / below a similar but not identical product. Might be a different size, might be a different brand, might be a different variety etc)

OP was talking about the product packed on the shelf with the incorrect SEL below. Its up to the store and packer to do a barcode check when packing it out. So you should get your money back with Tesco No quibble policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

OP was talking about the product packed on the shelf with the incorrect SEL below. Its up to the store and packer to do a barcode check when packing it out. So you should get your money back with Tesco No quibble policy.

They don't give the full refund anymore.

Now it's double the difference in price of what was charged, and the price-tag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the product for example was flaked tuna and tuna chunks they were deliberately put under the cheaper price so poeple would buy them instead of the dearer one ie

tuna flakes 59

should have gone to Specsavers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

tuna flakes 59

10cent really?? You've probably wasted 10c worth of electricity on your laptop with this thread!! Get over it and move on with your life...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Tescos: Keeping prices low for smart people by charging stupid people who can't read a ridiculous amount

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

tuna flakes 59

Were they both beside each other?

Years ago, when I worked for both Dunnes and Quinnsworth stacking shelves, we were always told not to leave spaces. If, for example, there was only strawberry jam and it meant that the whole jam section was only strawberry jam, so be it. Full shelves always look better than empty shelves.

So, if I was doing that before Tesco's was even in the country, are you sure that it is Tesco deceiving you and not just an extremely common supermarket technique?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

^^^Yes, bloody 'facing across' seems to be a Quinnsworth thing.

I'm sure it worked great in the days where everything was priced individually, not so now when the sel is attached to the shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

the local tesco clowns has that el passo thingy brand half price at the moment but when you get to the checkout it's actually half again...

:D

that means some over priced garbage like a burritos box (sorry for the spelling but i'm p*sing meself) is going for a little over a euro instead of four...

:cool:

i boughts a half dozen and passed them around to the family today.

check 'em out if they're available at yours.

:)

every little helps!

Big Bad Brits. Get over it and try going to a Supevalu to see how bad the pricing can REALLY be!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Most ticket printing systems allow the retailer to show the price per kilo or litre on the ticket. Specials are often not necessarily so. All of the retailers do it. The question is whether or not the goods are perishable. If they are then sometimes you may be paying for waste for the cheaper version. Still it is a silly practice that almost all of the retailers indulge in.

The real problem is the huge markups charged by the dominant wholesalers that get passed back to the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

Big Bad Brits. Get over it and try going to a Supevalu to see how bad the pricing can REALLY be!

Aaah Supervalu.......:rolleyes: In my local one the following "bargains" set out on their own little stands:::

Lynx Mens Deoderant 2 for 6 Euro nicely packaged together (round the corner in the mens section 3 Euro each)...
    Firelighters 2 pkts for 4 Euro nicely packaged together (on the aisle 2 Euro each pkt).

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

bijou wrote: »
    Aaah Supervalu.......:rolleyes: In my local one the following "bargains" set out on their own little stands:::

Lynx Mens Deoderant 2 for 6 Euro nicely packaged together (round the corner in the mens section 3 Euro each)...
    Firelighters 2 pkts for 4 Euro nicely packaged together (on the aisle 2 Euro each pkt).

:D:D:D

http://supervalu.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/SV-PA-206_lr.pdf

top of page 6 (no sh1t Sherlock)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭blowtorch

tuna flakes 59

I come across this REGULARLY in Tesco Wexford. Side-by-side similar products
    with the cheaper one's price always very close to the dearer one's product. I'd think it is definately a ploy. They also have an offers that expired a day or more previously, with the offer price still on the shelf. (You have to examine the small small print on the shelf stickers to see the 'end date' of the offers). Arrive at the checkout and you're charged the 'normal' price.

Advertisement