Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kendrick Lamar & Dr Dre Single Dropping Next Week

• 24-03-2012 11:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭

@KendrickLamar Set To Premiere Dr. Dre Featured & Produced Single Next Week

dr-1.-dre-kendrick-lamar-lakers-game-450x397.png
    West Coast MC Kendrick Lamar is stepping it up a notch. After recently signing with Aftermath Records, the label’s CEO not only produced but will be featured on the newcomer’s next single. No title as of yet, but word is it’s set to premiere next week on L.A.’s popular station, Power 106. The song will hit iTunes directly following the premiere. Kendrick is also said to be a surprise guest of Dre’s at Coachella this year, where the pair will perform the single live! Stay tuned to IFWT for the track, soon to come!

http://www.inflexwetrust.com/2012/03/23/kendricklamar-set-to-premiere-dr-dre-featured-produced-single-next-week/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

cant wait already :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

You realise this is going to be **** right? It's like when Yelawolf got signed to Eminems label. Say goodbye to progressive music with forward thinking production, hello to dated throwback **** with Bruno Mars on the chorus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

You realise this is going to be **** right? It's like when Yelawolf got signed to Eminems label. Say goodbye to progressive music with forward thinking production, hello to dated throwback **** with Bruno Mars on the chorus.

Wouldn't go that far. Kendrick hasn't disappointed as of yet and Dre is more than capable of making a beat to suit him. Give it a chance. At least wait to hear it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'm kinda with Shapey on this one. I mentioned on the Kendrick Lemar thread that the production team that he uses already is generally dope and suits him perfectly. There is no need to change something that aint broken.

A Dre beat doesnt necessarily mean greatness, and I dont personally see the 2 of thier sounds (vocal + production) meshing well together. And Dre's tracks that have seen the light of day in dare I say the last 3 or 4 years have been pants.

In saying all that, I'm interested in hearing it, and maybe being proved wrong. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I find kendrick nearly impossible to get into. He just doesn't appeal to me at all but i'll check this tune when it comes out, maybe its his instrumentals that i can't bear and dre could improve this.

I'm hoping it's a good song because if it is kendrick will most likely get the mainstream attention he deserves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Kendricks not the sort of rapper who's going to have mainstream appeal. I could see Schoolboy Q perhaps resonating a little bit more but even he's too left of center.

Dre hasn't even made his own beats in 10+ years. He's got a production team who ghost produce for him. And if the last decade is anything to go by they're rubbish. The last time Dre had any hand in making a star was Game and that was a long, long time ago. His contributions to that album were pretty meh anyway. It was more Kanye's production and a 50 cent hook that propelled him to the big leagues.

How do you know he hasn't made his own beats in the last 10 years?

Ghost producing for dre that's the first I heard of it man, the fact he supposedly bringing in other producers for detox is bad enough.

Like Alex da kid produced INAD which was meant to be the lead single lol , in fairness kush was decent enough though IMO.

On Lamar , it's enevitable that when a big underground artist moves to a major their sound changes at some point, we have seen it with the likes of yelawolf and j. Cole recently to name a few.

I said it on the Lamar thread, I'm expecting some sort of commercial presence now that Lamar is on interscope.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I thought Dre's production technique was well known?

A Dre produced song is rarely Dre himself building the track from scratch. He has a team of producers who will create something. If he likes it, he will take it and put the finishing toucehes on it, or tell the engineer what to do.
    So essentially, he is kind of producing, but not engineering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Give it a chance.

Dre brings something special to a beat, this is very very well known. Like a lot of commercial hip-hop for a long long time it is a collaborative effort from the lyrics to the production but that is not to say that without the main rapper and the main producer it would in any way be a good song.
    P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    I find kendrick nearly impossible to get into.

I know the feeling, I did not like him for a while as discussed in his thread in this forum….
    But listen to section.80 all the way through that is one of the nicest albums I think I have ever heard (but then again I am a massive 2pac fan)

• Advertisement

Ghost producing for dre that's the first I heard of it man

It's well known that Dre gets more or less all of the credit for beats that he barely had a hand in, has been that way for a long time.

Plenty of people that came up with Death Row/Aftermath played a big part in Dre's career. A lot of them will give Dre beats, take a back seat and share credits with Dre but some of them have gone completely uncredited - Daz Dillinger, Scott Storch all the way up to current in-house producers like DJ Khalil and Che Vicious.

So Dre doesn't write his own lyrics or make his own beats??

Give it a chance.
    Dre brings something special to a beat, this is very very well known.

He hasnt in a long time, we're talking 50 Cents first album or his songs with Ras Kas or Xzibit.

His stuff in recent times has not been special.
    PrettyBoy wrote: »
    It's well known that Dre gets more or less all of the credit for beats that he barely had a hand in, has been that way for a long time.

Plenty of people that came up with Death Row/Aftermath played a big part in Dre's career. A lot of them will give Dre beats, take a back seat and share credits with Dre but some of them have gone completely uncredited - Daz Dillinger, Scott Storch all the way up to current in-house producers like DJ Khalil and Che Vicious.

Sam Sneed, DOC, Mel Man, Yella, J-Flexx.......it goes on.

But, not many have complained, they are happy with the process and thier place in the overall scheme of things. I think Daz is the one that is said to have a problem as he gets no credit on a few albums whereas he pretty much done entire songs.

So Dre doesn't write his own lyrics or make his own beats??

It really depends on how you define 'producing'. He has an input, but doesnt do everything.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    It really depends on how you define 'producing'. He has an input, but doesnt do everything.

Yet he's been described as one of the hardest working men in hip hop. It looks like he puts fúck all into songs if you ask me.

Yet he's been described as one of the hardest working men in hip hop. It looks like he puts fúck all into songs if you ask me.

Well, we dont know exactly how much he does as far as production goes or writing.

I do know one thing, he spends more time on his 'guns' than anything else
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBkOe-Uqr3OctkoYL4JTXrq0KICRTJRbXzUYHtnjTHlq_k6_25

I think Daz is the one that is said to have a problem as he gets no credit on a few albums whereas he pretty much done entire songs.
    Daz talked about it in an interview once. He made the beat for 'Got My Mind Made Up' with Kurupt, Red and Meth. 2pac happened to hear an unfinished version of it one day when he was at Dre's house. Dre told Pac that he made the beat and Pac said he wanted it on his album. It was only when Daz overheard Pac talking about the track at a later date that he realized it was his beat that he was talking about. He told Pac that he made the beat, not Dre, and apparently this is what kicked off Pac's feud with Dre.

I do know one thing, he spends more time on his 'guns' than anything else

I remember watching the VMA's or something and Dre was presenting an award, it was his first big public appearance in a few years I think but when he walked on stage everyone was gobsmacked at how huge he was.

DrDre.jpg

I still remember talking about it in school the next day "The ****ing size of Dre" haha

He hasnt in a long time, we're talking 50 Cents first album or his songs with Ras Kas or Xzibit.
    ….

His stuff in recent times has not been special.
    …..they are happy with the process and thier place in the overall scheme of things.

Exactly they are happy as it is a process, a process that without Dre would lead to worse production along with the loss of the Dre beat effect.

The same goes for lyrics of many big artists… it is rarely a solo effort.

i knew dre had a bit of help in certain songs over the years from reading several different album credits including production etc in the little booklets that come with most cd albums.

i just really never took much notice of it tbh, but ye im a bit gobsmacked in fairness its really like finding out so and so has ghostwritten most of eminems songs lol.

cheers, but im still really excited to hear this collab between lamar and dre to get the ball rolling for this lamar album.

• Advertisement

Wish it would leak already, been waiting all night..anyone know what time it's set to premiere on the radio station (Power 97 or something)?

Wish it would leak already, been waiting all night..anyone know what time it's set to premiere on the radio station (Power 97 or something)?

power 106 according to the link on the first page mate.

is it coming tonight? i know its sometime this week alright from the link.

its really like finding out so and so has ghostwritten most of eminems songs lol.

While eminem does a lot more work on his raps than Dre does on Dres production (just by the nature of rapping vs production) if you look at the song credits for a lot of eminems songs there are other writers.

Much like with nearly ever major rapper/producer/whoever it is a group effort but with one stand out person mainly who without them it would be crap or just not work.

I think people are making way too much of "Dre does not really make his beats".

While eminem does a lot more work on his raps than Dre does on Dres production (just by the nature of rapping vs production) if you look at the song credits for a lot of eminems songs there are other writers.

Much like with nearly ever major rapper/producer/whoever it is a group effort but with one stand out person mainly who without them it would be crap or just not work.

I think people are making way too much of "Dre does not really make his beats".

Those writing credits are not so clear cut on album sleeves. I think that if there is a sample in the song, the writer of the sampled song is also included on the list of writers for that song.....or something to that effect. So it's kind of a chain effect.

In relation to the amount of effort Dre puts into a beat, i'm sure if varies over each beat, we will never know for sure though unless someone on the inside is keeping a log and decides to releas it some day.

I think the point being made is that a song produced by Dre, is actually a song produced by Dre & Team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,916 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Daz talked about it in an interview once. He made the beat for 'Got My Mind Made Up' with Kurupt, Red and Meth...

Jaysus, didn't know that at all. Dickish move if true. Daz is/was a brilliant producer. The Dogg Pound and 2pac stuff he done was just classic westcoast rap that. Haven't listened to some of that stuff in ages, time for a new mix cd!

As for the new tune, I don't like Lamar, don't know why and I feel Dre and Em have just lost it production wise. Will wait and see what Slaughterhouse's new album will sound like.

Yelawolfs new album is awful, he really deserved better production.

I think the point being made is that a song produced by Dre, is actually a song produced by Dre & Team.

Ok but this is common enough for a lot of rappers and producers is it not?

Some notable exceptions I would imagine is Premo, RZA and maybe a few others but that is just speculation too.

(Dre being high profile and at the top for so long maybe just has more people he has pissed off that they come out and say little rumors like he does little on his beats imo)

Not common really, most producers do everything themselves and then may get assistance with mixing and mastering. But there are a few production teams out there that have effectively worked as a group and shared the credit.....TrackMasters, Neptunes, the Bootcamp producers who's name is gone from my head.....Beatminerz!

But, i'm sure that while beats are been made by a producer, some people may hear stuff that is work in progress and offer suggestions. But it's still ultimately the producer that executes what is being done.

Well yeah obviously if it is a collective or a group they work together I meant is it not common to varying degrees that solo producers get input and help from others in their beats?

Dre being around for 25+ years and around so many different artists is it not just probable that more people try to drop little rumors of him not working on his beats?

Premo has been around as long nearly and worked with as many people too but he did not participate in 3 labels as a major part and therefore did not piss off as many people who would try to discredit him.

A Dre beat is a Dre beat, if he regularly robbed main credit for beats he did not have a major part in then producers would just stop working with him despite how popular he is.

But, it's not really rumours about Dre, it's something that is well known...that is the having a team working with him. Not jacking entire beats.

• Advertisement

But, it's not really rumours about Dre, it's something that is well known...that is the having a team working with him. Not jacking entire beats.

Oh, right and so it is reflected in the credits then?

Oh, right and so it is reflected in the credits then?
    Nope, I dont think that it is.

Nope, I dont think that it is.

So then he is taking more credit than he deserves yet we have few accounts of this actually happening?

Sounds like speculation and a few pissed off artists who won't actually provide facts because they do not have a leg to stand on legally.

He is putting his name as the production credit, whereas there are also others that are part of the production process. It's not taking anything more than is deserved, it's just how he has things working for him, and the people contracted to him are happy to do it. Only one or 2 cases of disgruntlement.

It's not speculation at all. Although not a reliable source, check out his wiki page;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr_dre

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.12639/title.longtime-dr-dre-production-team-member-dawaun-parker-readies-ep

Now, dont get me wrong on all this, I still call them a beat by Dre, but I still know that it wasnt him that fully arranged everything on the beat.

Now, dont get me wrong on all this, I still call them a beat by Dre, but I still know that it wasnt him that fully arranged everything on the beat.

Ye ok I see what you are saying, he is the vital component but he may not have done all the work like Premo and others.

Dawaun Parker released a solo EP and it has some Dre production on it for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Kendrick Lamar’s First Single ‘The Recipe’ Produced By Dr. Dre Releasing On Monday

kendrick-dre-500x375.jpg
    Kendrick Lamar’s first single off his Aftermath debut album premieres on Monday, April 2nd. The song is called ‘The Recipe’ and is produced by Dr. Dre. Hear the announcement from Big Boy and Kendrick below. Y’all ready?

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    Kendrick Lamar’s first single off his Aftermath debut album premieres on Monday, April 2nd. The song is called ‘The Recipe’ and is produced by Dr. Dre. Hear the announcement from Big Boy and Kendrick below. Y’all ready?

Can't wait :)

LOL'd at "Dre's not really here, he's bench pressing a building" :P

good stuff, really excited to hear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

Jesus,all this stuff about Dre..I feel like I've just been told Santa Claus isn't real all over again haha.. Honestly never knew Dre's production technique was as miniscule as it is.

Honestly never knew Dre's production technique was as miniscule as it is.

Well one thing that is un-debateable no matter how small his input, without that input the beat wouldn't be a great beat.

He adds something special (to every beat he actually made, unlike the few he took credit for but did not make).

I'm with underground on this one. I was disappointed to find that he didnt fully make his own beats.

In terms of beat making i would have ranked him up there with premo, RZA, pete rock and dilla. Now I have no feelings towards his music at all. Apart from his G-Funk stuff, that's just phenomenal.

Just out of interest, would eminem be somebody that would make dre's beats?

• Advertisement

Just out of interest, would eminem be somebody that would make dre's beats?

Don't know for sure, but I really doubt it.

I really doubt Eminem "makes"* Dr Dre beats as he did a terrible job on those 2pac songs.

* I think we all already establish Dre is the only one who makes Dre beats. Besides a few disgrunted artists who claim that he took their work as his own (they may be right) Dre is the one who makes Dre beats without him the beat would not be the way he made it.

He is definitely up there with Premo, RZA, pete rock and the Bomb Squad and others.

I think we all already establish Dre is the only one who makes Dre beats. Besides a few disgrunted artists who claim that he took their work as his own (they may be right) Dre is the one who makes Dre beats without him the beat would not be the way he made it.

It's not just a couple of disgruntled artists, it's people that have worked closely with Dre for years, decades even and it's not bull****, it's widely known. People think Dre makes beats from the ground up when the truth is that he has a team of producers that create beats which they give to Dre to tweak and fine-tune. No ones saying Dre does nothing, he definitely brings something to every track he's involved in producing but the same goes for the team that created it and they often go uncredited.

People think Dre makes beats from the ground up when the truth is that he has a team of producers that create beats which they give to Dre to tweak and fine-tune. No ones saying Dre does nothing, he definitely brings something to every track he's involved in producing but the same goes for the team that created it and they often go uncredited.

Exactly, except he brings a lot.

These producers could go their separate ways and become huge (the one boom bap mentioned released a solo album with Dre production on it) but they don't as they could not.

Credit is often not given, same as rappers with ghostwriters and rappers biting or having songwriters who help them.

In relation to Eminem, Dre wouldnt let him near one of his beats! Eminem is one of the most boring predictable producers out there.

Scott Storch was one of Dre's guys that went on to super stardom.

Still looking forward to this song though, hope it's impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭madmandaniel

tbh id rather see Kendrick just continue to do his own thing... I hope this doesnt suck. anyway i trust kendrick hes a genius he wouldnt do something unless he was 100% into it
    curious more than anything

Scott Storch got credit for his work with Dre, went on to work with other artists and still work with Dre and other Dre affiliated artists.

People are making way too much of this imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

In regards to whether or not Dre makes his own beats, it is true he has his own in-house beat makers, but he touches up and oversees everything, and mixes and masters it himself, plus he has produced a lot of stuff by himself

Kanye has his own production team, and when he was coming up he produced stuff he never got credited for, Alc used to work with Muggs, Dilla did a lot of work in the early-mid '90's that he never got credited for (I've even heard rumours he produced for Pete Rock), ODB co-produced a lot of Wu's stuff, Ced-Gee produced Criminal Minded and was never credited for it, even Dj Khalil has his own production team. I'm pretty sure there are very few big name producers that make 100% of their own music

As for the thread, I'm dying to hear this track :)

People are making way too much of this imo.

You're making way too much of it to be fair. It's like your image of Dre has been ruined and you don't want to believe that it's true, but it is.

You're making way too much of it to be fair. It's like your image of Dre has been ruined and you don't want to believe that it's true, but it is.

My image is of a producer that makes great beats, people who he took under his wing got and get credit for their help on his songs and when they go on to produce on their own they are rarely able to produce beats anywhere near as good as his without his help with a few exceptions. (A few disgruntled artists claiming he stole their work may be true, but against his catalogue his hardly important)

If anyone has any facts to discredit that I am all ears.

All that has been said is Dre has a production team, which nearly every producer has. Even most rappers have a writing team, even if they do less they still do somethings.

Scott Storch, Jay-Z, mel man and dre/snoop in the credits, getting the credit they deserve….

• Advertisement
Advertisement