Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kendrick Lamar & Dr Dre Single Dropping Next Week

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Oh, right and so it is reflected in the credits then?
    Nope, I dont think that it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Nope, I dont think that it is.

So then he is taking more credit than he deserves yet we have few accounts of this actually happening?

Sounds like speculation and a few pissed off artists who won't actually provide facts because they do not have a leg to stand on legally.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

He is putting his name as the production credit, whereas there are also others that are part of the production process. It's not taking anything more than is deserved, it's just how he has things working for him, and the people contracted to him are happy to do it. Only one or 2 cases of disgruntlement.

It's not speculation at all. Although not a reliable source, check out his wiki page;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr_dre

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.12639/title.longtime-dr-dre-production-team-member-dawaun-parker-readies-ep

Now, dont get me wrong on all this, I still call them a beat by Dre, but I still know that it wasnt him that fully arranged everything on the beat.

Now, dont get me wrong on all this, I still call them a beat by Dre, but I still know that it wasnt him that fully arranged everything on the beat.

Ye ok I see what you are saying, he is the vital component but he may not have done all the work like Premo and others.

Dawaun Parker released a solo EP and it has some Dre production on it for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Kendrick Lamar’s First Single ‘The Recipe’ Produced By Dr. Dre Releasing On Monday

kendrick-dre-500x375.jpg
    Kendrick Lamar’s first single off his Aftermath debut album premieres on Monday, April 2nd. The song is called ‘The Recipe’ and is produced by Dr. Dre. Hear the announcement from Big Boy and Kendrick below. Y’all ready?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

MD1990 wrote: »
    Kendrick Lamar’s first single off his Aftermath debut album premieres on Monday, April 2nd. The song is called ‘The Recipe’ and is produced by Dr. Dre. Hear the announcement from Big Boy and Kendrick below. Y’all ready?

Can't wait :)

LOL'd at "Dre's not really here, he's bench pressing a building" :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

good stuff, really excited to hear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Underground

Jesus,all this stuff about Dre..I feel like I've just been told Santa Claus isn't real all over again haha.. Honestly never knew Dre's production technique was as miniscule as it is.

Honestly never knew Dre's production technique was as miniscule as it is.

Well one thing that is un-debateable no matter how small his input, without that input the beat wouldn't be a great beat.

He adds something special (to every beat he actually made, unlike the few he took credit for but did not make).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I'm with underground on this one. I was disappointed to find that he didnt fully make his own beats.

In terms of beat making i would have ranked him up there with premo, RZA, pete rock and dilla. Now I have no feelings towards his music at all. Apart from his G-Funk stuff, that's just phenomenal.

Just out of interest, would eminem be somebody that would make dre's beats?

• Advertisement

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Just out of interest, would eminem be somebody that would make dre's beats?

Don't know for sure, but I really doubt it.

I really doubt Eminem "makes"* Dr Dre beats as he did a terrible job on those 2pac songs.

* I think we all already establish Dre is the only one who makes Dre beats. Besides a few disgrunted artists who claim that he took their work as his own (they may be right) Dre is the one who makes Dre beats without him the beat would not be the way he made it.

He is definitely up there with Premo, RZA, pete rock and the Bomb Squad and others.

I think we all already establish Dre is the only one who makes Dre beats. Besides a few disgrunted artists who claim that he took their work as his own (they may be right) Dre is the one who makes Dre beats without him the beat would not be the way he made it.

It's not just a couple of disgruntled artists, it's people that have worked closely with Dre for years, decades even and it's not bull****, it's widely known. People think Dre makes beats from the ground up when the truth is that he has a team of producers that create beats which they give to Dre to tweak and fine-tune. No ones saying Dre does nothing, he definitely brings something to every track he's involved in producing but the same goes for the team that created it and they often go uncredited.

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    People think Dre makes beats from the ground up when the truth is that he has a team of producers that create beats which they give to Dre to tweak and fine-tune. No ones saying Dre does nothing, he definitely brings something to every track he's involved in producing but the same goes for the team that created it and they often go uncredited.

Exactly, except he brings a lot.

These producers could go their separate ways and become huge (the one boom bap mentioned released a solo album with Dre production on it) but they don't as they could not.

Credit is often not given, same as rappers with ghostwriters and rappers biting or having songwriters who help them.

In relation to Eminem, Dre wouldnt let him near one of his beats! Eminem is one of the most boring predictable producers out there.

Scott Storch was one of Dre's guys that went on to super stardom.

Still looking forward to this song though, hope it's impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭madmandaniel

tbh id rather see Kendrick just continue to do his own thing... I hope this doesnt suck. anyway i trust kendrick hes a genius he wouldnt do something unless he was 100% into it
    curious more than anything

Scott Storch got credit for his work with Dre, went on to work with other artists and still work with Dre and other Dre affiliated artists.

People are making way too much of this imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

In regards to whether or not Dre makes his own beats, it is true he has his own in-house beat makers, but he touches up and oversees everything, and mixes and masters it himself, plus he has produced a lot of stuff by himself

Kanye has his own production team, and when he was coming up he produced stuff he never got credited for, Alc used to work with Muggs, Dilla did a lot of work in the early-mid '90's that he never got credited for (I've even heard rumours he produced for Pete Rock), ODB co-produced a lot of Wu's stuff, Ced-Gee produced Criminal Minded and was never credited for it, even Dj Khalil has his own production team. I'm pretty sure there are very few big name producers that make 100% of their own music

As for the thread, I'm dying to hear this track :)

People are making way too much of this imo.

You're making way too much of it to be fair. It's like your image of Dre has been ruined and you don't want to believe that it's true, but it is.

You're making way too much of it to be fair. It's like your image of Dre has been ruined and you don't want to believe that it's true, but it is.

My image is of a producer that makes great beats, people who he took under his wing got and get credit for their help on his songs and when they go on to produce on their own they are rarely able to produce beats anywhere near as good as his without his help with a few exceptions. (A few disgruntled artists claiming he stole their work may be true, but against his catalogue his hardly important)

If anyone has any facts to discredit that I am all ears.

All that has been said is Dre has a production team, which nearly every producer has. Even most rappers have a writing team, even if they do less they still do somethings.

Scott Storch, Jay-Z, mel man and dre/snoop in the credits, getting the credit they deserve….

• Advertisement

My image is of a producer that makes great beats, people who he took under his wing got and get credit for their help on his songs and when they go on to produce on their own they are rarely able to produce beats anywhere near as good as his without his help with a few exceptions. (A few disgruntled artists claiming he stole their work may be true, but against his catalogue his hardly important)

If anyone has any facts to discredit that I am all ears.
    Scott Storch, Jay-Z, mel man and dre/snoop in the credits, getting the credit they deserve….
    One song? What about Dre telling Tupac that he made the beat for 'Got My Mind Made Up'? What about Daz and Warren G not getting credit for work they did on The Chronic?

There's a long line of producers/artists that have said the same things about Dre for years, it's not just "a few disgruntled artists", it's literally dozens of different people, most of whom have no issues with Dre whatsoever. Facts are facts, Dre doesn't deserve as much credit as he'd like people to think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I find it hard to accept the god like status some people give Dre tbh.
    Even before when i thought he fully produced his own beats i didn't understand the hype with him. I've heard way better instrumentals from other producers.

One song? What about Dre telling Tupac that he made the beat for 'Got My Mind Made Up'? What about Daz and Warren G not getting credit for work they did on The Chronic?

There's a long line of producers/artists that have said the same things about Dre for years, it's not just "a few disgruntled artists", it's literally dozens of different people, most of whom have no issues with Dre whatsoever. Facts are facts, Dre doesn't deserve as much credit as he'd like people to think.

One song from me, one song from you to say otherwise. Same thing.

Death Row was a collaborative label, everybody helped everybody this is very very well known.

Fact is, without Dre the beats he has credit for would not be the same or as good without him. Give Scott Storch and others some credit, they are not idiots being played by Dre.
    P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    I've heard way better instrumentals from other producers.

Agreed, but that has nothing to do with Dres work - there is always someone better in someones eyes. Personally I prefer Premo but that does not take anything away from Dre or others.

single coming in the next 30 minutes i think, should be up on youtube etc soon enough.

currently trying to find a live stream of big boys show but it isnt available as far as i know outside america.

what a joke, seems to be more frequent lately. I bought the hot 97 app for the iphone a few months ago and suddenly it was geo-blocked with no sign of an update... must be part of this internet crackdown.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

http://www.xclusiveszone.net/2012/04/kendrick-lamar-ft-dr-dre-the-recipe-prod-by-scoop-deville/

Kendrick Lamar Ft Dr. Dre – The Recipe (Prod. by Scoop DeVille)

April 2, 2012 | Featured, Music, Rap/Hip Hop

share_save_120_16.png

TheRecipe-500x500.jpgThe wait is finally over. Here is Kendrick Lamar’s highly anticipated single ‘The Recipe’ featuring Dr. Dre with production from Scoop DeVille. The track will be hitting iTunes tomorrow. His Aftermath debut album is coming soon. What do you think of his first official single? Does it live up to the hype?
    Listen to the track below.

live up to the hype? no.

not produced by dre so?... dre does his best lamar impersonation, talk about jacking someone's style. Nice beat all the same though.

on the song, started of great love the hook but honestly after the 3 min mark they lost me... too long for me and lamar wasnt great on it and like i said dre just mimicked lamar.

this will be forgotten soon enough, nothing special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Very surprised Dr.Dre is actually trying to sound like Kendrick. What's the point in having him on the track? He even said "Mother**** your opin-i-on" like... Come on man.

I'll give it a few more spins but I don't know... Not feeling it.

OK, so Dre didnt produce, wise choice perhaps.

Song is OK, wouldnt be adding it to any of my playlists.

Dre in recent times has a bit of history of copying other peoples flow. He sounds alot like Eminem in I Need A Doctor, and if i recall correctly, was he not mirroring Jay-Z in Under Pressure.

I notice the same with The Game when he has people featured on his tracks as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Dre in recent times has a bit of history of copying other peoples flow. He sounds alot like Eminem in I Need A Doctor, and if i recall correctly, was he not mirroring Jay-Z in Under Pressure.

I'd put that down in part to Dre not writing his own lyrics. He has no style of his own really because of this. The only style I would say he owned was on The Chronic, but even then Snoop wrote all his lyrics.

The hook is good enough on it. Not a remarkable track overall though.

EDIT: Just saw your second post there Boom Bap. Confirms what I thought. The people who ghostwrite for him aren't good enough to break from their own style to write the verse for him. It makes sense that he would sound exactly like Jigga, Em or Kendrick.

Advertisement