Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kendrick Lamar & Dr Dre Single Dropping Next Week

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Smooth track, judging off this song and Cartoons & Cereal, looks like Kendrick is dropping a concept album life in about Cali; should be interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Not a bad track, nice sample, really didn't know what to expect so I'm not disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I'm liking the beat a lot, nice stuff. The hook is shít, Dre doesn't sound like dre, kendrick shouldn't have written his lyrics imo.
    This probably would have been better without dre tbh.
    I like it but it's not one of them songs I'll repeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Average. Nice beat though.

“women, weed and weather”

This is not a single, or at least it should not be. It probably could be a decent album filler song or possibly fit well in this concept album but not a single.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I just saw a few tweets from BigGhost Fase (the parody of Ghostface Killah) and he was on about the song.
    THE HANDS OF ZEUS ‏ @BigGhostFASE
    They shouldnta let that Recipe beat ride out for a minute at the end tho...bout to be some bull**** droppin any minute
    Somewhere out there theres a corny nigga spittin some bull**** n defling the **** outta The Recipe as we speak
    You already kno @thegame probably dropped some struggle on that last minute of The Recipe by now...tryin to squeeze into the picture

Before this descends into a Game stan v haters thread what I posted was a joke. @BigGhostFase rips the piss out of everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    OK, so Dre didnt produce, wise choice perhaps.

Song is OK, wouldnt be adding it to any of my playlists.

Dre in recent times has a bit of history of copying other peoples flow. He sounds alot like Eminem in I Need A Doctor, and if i recall correctly, was he not mirroring Jay-Z in Under Pressure.

I notice the same with The Game when he has people featured on his tracks as well.

Yep.

Exhibit A:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Smooth track, judging off this song and Cartoons & Cereal, looks like Kendrick is dropping a concept album life in about Cali; should be interesting

good point and makes sense as lamar said it will start from where section 80 left of. lamar covered a lot of topics on section 80, really was a great story behind it with tammy and kiesha and the struggle in LA etc.

suppose this could fit nicely into what you have to remember is going to be a commercial album on a commercial label in interscope. Still though as a single because that's what it is , its a bit over cooked and after the 3 min mark for me its hard to listen to.

its released on itunes tomorrow as an official single, so in all bit of a letdown but as said possibly could of been one of those songs that would be better suited as just an album track.

on fillers, im expecting none man! :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I dont think any concept album on or about events in LA will beat L.A. Riots by THURZ.
    If you havent heard it, you should really really check it out. It's a feebee as well.

But if KL is going that route then it'll be interesting to hear his twist on it.

But seriously, THURZ, LA Riots. Do it.

Perhaps this album will be the reverse of section.80?
    More of the good things about LA and his generation?

Perhaps this album will be the reverse of section.80?
    More of the good things about LA and his generation?

more commercial you mean? ronald reagan era this is, there's nothing much good about most of us... this is a selfish generation, i doubt he'd change his opinion in little over a year.

I dont think any concept album on or about events in LA will beat L.A. Riots by THURZ.
    If you havent heard it, you should really really check it out. It's a feebee as well.

But if KL is going that route then it'll be interesting to hear his twist on it.

But seriously, THURZ, LA Riots. Do it.

il give it a listen over the weekend , is he a new artist too or similar to lamar? never heard of him.

• Advertisement

more commercial you mean? ronald reagan era this is, there's nothing much good about most of us... this is a selfish generation, i doubt he'd change his opinion in little over a year.

His opinion in general can not be as bad as that, that is one side the bad side. There is a good side to life (LA, 80's or whatever)

It would not be contradictory.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

il give it a listen over the weekend , is he a new artist too or similar to lamar? never heard of him.

He was one half of a group U-N-I that really didnt make much noise. And he came out of nowhere with LA Riot. He has something new coming soon as well.

http://www.djbooth.net/index/mixtapes/entry/thurz-la-riot/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Really like the beat, all round it's a good song, not a single imo

Just back from the gym, listened to the track 4 or 5 times while I was there, have to say I'm loving it now, really just a great West Coast track, production is superb IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

More I hear this, the more I like it.

Mr. Rager wrote: »

+1, sounds much, much better with headphones.

I don't know if it is that it truly gets better with time or if this http://vimeo.com/39633494 is just a better version.
    It sounds a lot better, can hear the drums a lot crisper.

A 5:44 long single though, odd choice. Actually this song is still very chill, I might have to put this in my chill/instrumental playlist.

Will be checking out more Scoop de Ville though, definitely.

On KLs next album seems it is called "Good Kid in a Mad City" so the whole reverse of section.80 makes sense, or at least different than section.80 but related and more Compton centric.

Not sure if this is the big/lead single (I doubt we'll see a video for it) but just the first time we've heard something from Kendrick and Dre working together. It's been over a year since the first pictures of them working in the studio surfaced but this is the first bit of collaborative material we've heard from them.

I get the impression that this is for anyone that didn't know Kendrick was on Aftermath now, he's on a track with Dre, it's official now, etc...

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    I get the impression that this is for anyone that didn't know Kendrick was on Aftermath now, he's on a track with Dre, it's official now, etc...

Makes sense, no Dre beat but it is an excellent beat nonetheless and has a Dre feature which is usually reserved for people he collaborates closely with.

Had a good listen and thought about it and this is a very good track.
    Dre's part is a bit gammy but the rest of it is nice, hook could be better also.

I guess my first impression wasn't great.
    Will be checking out more Scoop de Ville though, definitely.

+1 conor, the beat is super.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

After an initial meh bloody love this track now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Yeah I'm going to hold my hand up and admit that this tune has won me over.

It's so chill, Kendrick is on point as usual, it's the perfect tune to utilise one of the 3 W's to (Hint: Irish weather is ****e, and the women I know are not big Kendrick fans ;)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I really like it. It makes me think of summertime, and therefore makes me feel happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Yo! MTV SUCKS

Mr. Rager wrote: »

My thoughts exactley,at the start really wasnt mad bout the tune,gave it a couple more listens and its after really growing on me

My thoughts exactley,at the start really wasnt mad bout the tune,gave it a couple more listens and its after really growing on me

+1 i just listened to it twice in a row, such a summery tune. I'm likin it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I read that Kendrick and Dre have supposedly recorded 30 songs together. I wonder will any others see the light of day.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.19321/title.kendrick-lamar-says-he-has-recorded-30-songs-with-dr-dre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Yeah, this tune is definitely a grower :)

I still prefer Cartoons & Cereal, though ;)

I have to jump on the bandwagon, I'd be lying if I said it hasn't grown on me.

Agree with horsebox though, cartoons and cereal is better IMO.

My only real problem with the song is dre jacking lamars style, I hope this isn't the start of a trend from dre or any other artist for that matter.

I know dre does well on it and probably felt it was the only way he could blend himself in on a Lamar track, in all I hope it's a once of from dre.

By the way the song still isnt available on iTunes over here, trying to buy it since its release with no luck. Anyone know the release date?

• Advertisement

My only real problem with the song is dre jacking lamars style, I hope this isn't the start of a trend from dre or any other artist for that matter.

I know dre does well on it and probably felt it was the only way he could blend himself in on a Lamar track, in all I hope it's a once of from dre.

By the way the song still isnt available on iTunes over here, trying to buy it since its release with no luck. Anyone know the release date?

It only really sounds like that because lamar can't write to suit dre yet.

Advertisement