Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restoration / cabinet makers supplies?

Options
  • 24-03-2012 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to repair a much-abused desk and all of the drawers are edged with a narrow (5mm) half-round beading. Most of it has been knocked off & I'll need nearly 7m of beading to replace it.

Can anyone suggest a possible supplier?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

I think this thread may be better answered here.Moving it from Collectible & Antiques,Moderator.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭wwwboof

hoeys timber sales station rd castlebellingham co.louth 042 9382380:D

they are a cabinet makers supplies
    www.hoeys.net

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭nmacc

Thanks,

I gave Hoeys a call & they think they might have what I need. It just needs a trip to Castlebelingham to find out!

What did we learn today?

Well, I learned that Hoeys are very nice people; professional & helpful.

THEY ALSO HAVE THE SAME RANGE OF MOULDINGS AS MY LOCAL WOODIES!!

Hardly what I would call cabinet makers supplies. I just wish it hadn't cost me several hours, 216km and four tolls to find that out.

Mind you, I'm not blaming wwwboof for this. I called Hoeys and was told they definitely had what I wanted in stock. How was I to know that I was talking to the New Boy who didn't know his arse from his adze?

Any other suggestions as to a cabinet makers suppliers where I might get some thin beading?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

~PM on way to you.... hope I can help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Can you post a pic of the mouldings you need?
    Might be able to machine some for you, but can't say for certain without more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There's a place a lot closer to you in Rathnew, http://www.woodmouldings.com/. I think they are predominantly in the same game as the other lot i.e. suppliers to Woodies etc., but they do say they have a custom service as well, and it won't cost you anywhere near as much to go see them and ask :)

Also there's a guy who lives near me in Bray who parks his van outside his house and I note that he works for a furniture making / restoration business which I assume is fairly local. I can't for the life of me remember the name at the moment and he isn't home, but I can let you know the name of the company when he does if that's any help. I'm sure they'd either let you know where they get their stuff, or probably make it themselves if you have a piece they can use as a pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 fmc2011

Where's the best place in west or northwest for supplies for cabinet makers or is there any? Looking to source mfc sheets, edging etc for few small jobs I've to do. Local hardwares are pretty much empty these days.
    Thanks

Thanks to all for the advice.

Most especially thanks to Ciaran of www.ckspeakers.com who made up the beding from a nice piece of poplar while I watched. Many thanks Ciaran.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

WH Raitt in Stranolar are a great shop to deal with. Havn't been there but have mail ordered a few items from them. The only hardware shop in the ROI that mail order as far as I know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement