Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Appeals process

• 25-03-2012 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I have no legal knowledge and was wondering whether someone can tell me this:
    If district court rules in favour of person x (on a civil matter relating to damages, no injury), and person y appeals to circuit court, and hypothetically (I know this sounds mad) if circuit court then changed ruling in favour of person y, can person x then appeal to a higher court again?
    Basically I'm asking is there a point at which the whole thing is unappealable by either party?
    Appreciate any layman-terms input!:D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

There are some possibilities. An appeal on the merits is not allowed, but there could be a Case Stated to the Supreme Court on a point of law or there could be a Judicial Review in the High Court, which itself could then be appealed to the Supreme Court.
    It would be extremely rare for there to be a Case Stated or a Judicial Review arising out of a District Court appeal in a civil case but the possibility is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭lir6777

There are some possibilities. An appeal on the merits is not allowed, but there could be a Case Stated to the Supreme Court on a point of law or there could be a Judicial Review in the High Court, which itself could then be appealed to the Supreme Court.
    It would be extremely rare for there to be a Case Stated or a Judicial Review arising out of a District Court appeal in a civil case but the possibility is there.

Thanks for your help! Just to be sure (as I said I'm legally blonde!!)- it would be very unlikely for it to be appealed past circuit court, and it would be around the application of laws to the case and decision of it was?

Advertisement