Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Activating 2nd Year IEC Visa - What do I need?

Options
  • 25-03-2012 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Currently in Vancouver and just received my 2nd IEC during the week, so I'm gonna cross the border tomorrow to activate it, but what do I need to have with me when coming back into Canada to activate the visa?

All I have is my passport and letter from the IEC but what else do I need?

I won't have proof of funds because I don't have 2,000 dollars but will be heading straight back to work, will this be ok?

Do I need to show proof of insurance?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

passport and letter is all you're likely to need

ive never been asked for proof of funds, but i have heard of people who were

insurance on the other hand, they don't ask for. the whole thing should take you about 2 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Sheebs

Thanks for the reply, let's hope that's all I need!

All went smoothly anyway. Just gave the letter from the IEC & the passport, waited in the immigration waiting room for about 20mins and that was that!

So in Canada for another year until March 2013, sweet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 jaysuz

Hi Sheebs, did you end up buying the health insurance and how long did the whole visa application process take?? Thanks

jaysuz wrote: »
    Hi Sheebs, did you end up buying the health insurance and how long did the whole visa application process take?? Thanks

No insurance yet, I have some coverage in work so don't know if I'll bother.

Sent me application on Jan 9th and received the visa on March 20th - so over 2 months. I'd say the process is speeding up now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 jaysuz

What date did you get confirmation that they received it? Mine was signed for on the 16th of Feb & they sent me the confirmation email on the 16th of March. Was there many steps after sending the payment? Thanks for your input on this!

jaysuz wrote: »
    What date did you get confirmation that they received it? Mine was signed for on the 16th of Feb & they sent me the confirmation email on the 16th of March. Was there many steps after sending the payment? Thanks for your input on this!

This was how my process went:
    Sent Application: Jan 9th
    Receipt Email: Feb 7th
    Payment Email: Feb 29th (paid the next day with AIB internet banking)
    Medical Email (which I ignored - you only need to reply if you'll be working with kids etc.): March 13th
    LOI received: March 19th

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭galwaygal27

Helix wrote: »
    passport and letter is all you're likely to need

ive never been asked for proof of funds, but i have heard of people who were

insurance on the other hand, they don't ask for. the whole thing should take you about 2 minutes
    do you need a garda clearance cert for yr 2 of IEC?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

i dont believe so.....youve been in canada since you got the first one so i think they just do a check on your canadian client id/SIN/whatever

afaik you still need it

it's treated as an all new application

• Advertisement

whoops...i read that wrong. i thought it was do you need it when flagpoling

Sheebs,

I'm in Vancouver myself and thinking about applying for my 2nd year visa. Do you not need to send proof of funds and insurance with your application? I recall I had to in last years application but maybe I'm incorrect.

If you could reply that would be of great help as I don't have the $2000 myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

no proof needed with your application. you will need proof of $2500 tho when you arrive at border control

NoelAPM wrote: »
    you will need proof of $2500 tho when you arrive at border control

99% chance you wont

ive been in and out of canada more times than i care to remember in the last 3 years and ive never once been asked about funds, even on the 3 times i was renewing work permits

I hope your rite, cause it says the bank statement/proof can be no more that 1 week old. and im goin to have a look at a few places in america before i get to canada.

NoelAPM wrote: »
    no proof needed with your application. you will need proof of $2500 tho when you arrive at border control

have they changed that? i went for the iec last year because it was quicker, and i was asked for proof of funding on application, but you're never asked at the border

says it on the IEC form under applicant declarations. It does not specifically say at the border tho, just that you may be asked for proof of $2500 I dunno about last year cause I never did it.

I know i read somewhere on the CIC site. that they ask at the border and they go into details about what proof is acceptable, bank statement or letter ect and dated no more that a week after your arrival

can only speak for myself, but ive never been asked and im over here 3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

wondering would a pay stub from work do it?

ive been in and out of canada a few times in the past year too and have never been asked for proof of funds.

• Advertisement
Advertisement