Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Classic car insurance and provisional licence

• 25-03-2012 1:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

I am a 30 year old female with a provisional licence and feel that I would benefit from having a car, both to practice my driving in (have been having lessons) and to be able to head out of the city with my dogs for walks etc (currently reliant on other people for lifts).
    I really like VW Beetles. I love their character and I imagine that they would be simple enough to drive. I have briefly driven a VW camper and found it a far more pleasant driving experience than my OH's Seat Ibiza.
    The big issue is insurance. I was thinking that, if I bought one, I would put the car in the OH's name as it would not be the primary car (it would only be used for trips with the dogs and practice spins for me, initially, anyway). Does anyone know if classic insurance allows provisional licence holders as named drivers, and how much that might cost?
    Same regarding regular insurance, if I had to go for that, would it be cheaper for me to be a named driver? I was a named driver on the OH's Seat, and it cost something like €30 extra for 6 months. Would it be the same with a classic?
    I can't really afford a massive insurance bill, so will have to continue relying on others for lifts if costs prove too high.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

You'll still be reliant on other people though to accompany you....just pass the test and the problems disappears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

corktina wrote: »
    You'll still be reliant on other people though to accompany you.

Not really, there's a difference between asking someone to be a passenger and asking them to drive...that's my experience anyway.
    So, anyone have any ideas of insurance costs?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

See the Classic Cars Charter thread stickied. There is an insurer's thread linked from there. Phone a few and see what they prices (or not) they come up with.

Very difficult to guess costs. That's the insurance company or broker's job ;)

Advertisement