Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you think happens when you die?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

Same thing that happened before I was born ...nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I being the eternal optimist hope for sweet sweet Necrophilia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I being the eternal optimist hope for sweet sweet Necrophilia.

Necrophilia is best enjoyed while you're still alive.

Or so I've been told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

lets ask Fabrice Muamba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

gernon wrote: »

lets ask Fabrice Muamba

:mad: you suck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

OP, please tell me what you are smokin' I'd love some! PM me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

The Bastárds bury you

21/25

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Toothpaste89

We float out of our bodies, true story. I was dead for 3 minutes when I was born.... I remember :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I want this played at my funeral.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

:mad: you suck.

Whats your problem? the lad was technically dead for 78 mins and now he's alive which is great so maybe he can tell us what he remembers for that missing 78 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

I always think of it as a sleep you don't wake up from, i think anybody who dies in their sleep is lucky, irrespective of age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Shane St. wrote: »
    I really find it hard to imagine the nothingness. how can their be nothingness
    There was nothing before we were born. We didn't exist. I don't remember that time, nor did I find it disturbing. Death will most likely be the same.
    I think the idea of Heaven is nice until you really think about it and you realise you'll be stuck with your relatives for all eternity. And probably Daniel O Donnell.

We just can't imagine nothing. Too difficult to comprehend.

Heaven, I believe, is an excuse. Most people do not wish for nothing, they would like to continue living in an afterlife. It's too far-fetched for me.

If I was to choose an afterlife, then I'd like reincarnation.

But, I have no beliefs. All I can think of is nothingness. Even that is something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Life itself being in existence is very suspicious, Too suspicious to not have a reason, I'v seen the face of a ghost before so I believe their is something going on that we are not usually aware of, We're probably not developed enough to fully understand it all yet, I reckon a lot depends on how we die and what emotions we were feeling at death. Think about dreams, Some feel so real that if you died in your sleep would you even know you're dead ?

One thing I reckon does exist is Hell, I'm sure its a pure kip too but it could be based on emotions of hate greed and bitterness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Remember what it was like before you flew out of your ould wans fanny.
    That.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

we go to heaven and look down smiling at people remembering us at our wake??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

You go to heaven and have sex with 72 people who were so unlucky that they died virgins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

A friend of mine technically died in a car crash years ago and was resuscitated. He said that it might as well have not happened for all he can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

New Game+

You go back to being a baby but you still get to be at the Level you were at when you finished, you get all your skills straight away at the start, and you know everything's that going to happen.

You can also fight the final boss anytime in case you get bored, but you still have to go to the dungeon to get the Wizard Key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

That reminded me of a short story in 'the acid house' by irvine welsh, (coco bryce) so i got the book out and looked up the name of the short story, turns out it was the acid house

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

God constantly punches your face for seven years.

Then he has a cup of tea.

Then he punches your face for 7000 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

I had to have an operation once.

I was out for 2 hours.

The last thing I remembered before going under was the surgeon pressing the anesthetic into my arm. I was thinking to myself 'How long will it take for me to pass out' and bang I was gone.

When I came round there was absolutely no memories of the previous 2 hours, and for me that was my first experience of what it is like to be dead.

You won't ever know you were dead unless you come back.

........... no one has ever come back. Enjoy your time here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

We're all in the Matrix!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Niglet wrote: »
    There's a big universe out there with a future that stretches on for eternity so who's to say we won't find ourselves existing again somewhere in some form?

Isn't that exactly what will happen? I know you're probably talking about the soul, or perception or something like that, but every part of us when we die gets reintegrated to the universe. But I think none of us can really comprehend that particular kind of existence.

Somebody mentioned about operations. I had a similar experience (even to the point where a nurse suggested I call my loved ones, as it was 'serious'). That kind of absolute zero comprehension from the moment the anesthetic kicks in to the moment you (thankfully) wake up is what I think death will be like. Our mind/spirit/soul disappears, but our physical nature gets recycled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I believe when one dies, one will come before Jesus to be judged. If one has believed and trusted in Him, and transformed their lives to live for Him, they will be saved and live eternally. If one has rejected God and treated Him with contempt, they will be condemned eternally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I'm waiting till the last minute then converting and going for the seventy virgins myself...

...wait what do you mean nobody said they had to be human...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭housetypeb

philologos wrote: »
    I believe when one dies, one will come before Jesus to be judged. If one has believed and trusted in Him, and transformed their lives to live for Him, they will be saved and live eternally. If one has rejected God and treated Him with contempt, they will be condemned eternally.

He must spend all of his time judging the dead then as people are dying every second,or does he even bother with a trial and just rubber stamp large groups at a time to give himself a break?
    How does he have time to bask in the worship of his fans if he is engaged full time as judge, jury and executioner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

We're all in the Matrix!

Please stay by your phone. You will be contacted shortly.

I literally spent 10 minutes trying to think what the f you meant by seeing angles in the corner of your eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

Near death experiences are explained by the brain - in moments of distress - like when it knows its dying - it relases DMT (Dimethyltryptamine) which is a powerful hallucinogenic way beyond LSD.

Explains a lot of near death experiences such as auditory and visual hallucinations including out of body experiences. Sadly, death is probably a non-event. You die, and thats final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

noxqs wrote: »
    Near death experiences are explained by the brain - in moments of distress - like when it knows its dying - it relases DMT (Dimethyltryptamine) which is a powerful hallucinogenic way beyond LSD.

Explains a lot of near death experiences such as auditory and visual hallucinations including out of body experiences. Sadly, death is probably a non-event. You die, and thats final.
    There are a lot of competing theories and counter theories, even some who claim that near death experiences are faked. This is worth a look:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near-death_experience#Afterlife_viewpoints

What science exists on the phenomenon is far from settled, and just about every hypothesis has flaws which can be repeated in a lab. While it goes against the deeply held belief system of some, I think there could very well be something more to the matter that science has yet to uncover. It might take ten thousand years to advance that far, but I think it will eventually happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Purely on a practicality level, how big would heaven have to be to be able to admit so many people since the dawn of time and into the future ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

When you die I believe it ends there, no after party in heaven

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

housetypeb wrote: »
    He must spend all of his time judging the dead then as people are dying every second,or does he even bother with a trial and just rubber stamp large groups at a time to give himself a break?
    How does he have time to bask in the worship of his fans if he is engaged full time as judge, jury and executioner.

Isn't god all-powerful, though? So he could probably do all that without breaking a sweat.

It is odd how he condemns people who have not recognised him to eternal punishment. Talk about overkill. Maybe god just needs to get over himself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Purely on a practicality level, how big would heaven have to be to be able to admit so many people since the dawn of time and into the future ?
    If there is some sort of an afterlife chances are that whatever/whoever is responsible for creating it was also responsible for creating the universe, given that "it" came up with the idea of space and time from a place(if you could call it that) of no-space and no-time, I reckon any kinda practicial problems that a human being could come up with for the non-existance of an afterlife aren't really an issue as our prespective is far too limited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Hope is a great thing and helps some people cope so I wouldn't preach to them about what they should believe, each to their own but I believe nothing happens, you're dead, that's it, enjoy your life while you can, I wouldn't be in any hurry to see what happens like the op. Take all my body parts and put them to good use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

That reminded me of a short story in 'the acid house' by irvine welsh, (coco bryce) so i got the book out and looked up the name of the short story, turns out it was the acid house

Reminded me of that too, "take me to da fitba!".
    --LOS-- wrote: »
    Hope is a great thing and helps some people cope so I wouldn't preach to them about what they should believe, each to their own but I believe nothing happens, you're dead, that's it, enjoy your life while you can, I wouldn't be in any hurry to see what happens like the op. Take all my body parts and put them to good use.

Define good.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Hopefully I'll get to meet Elvis.I want to ask him about dyin' while having a ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

My remains will be eaten by worms, maggots and other vermin. Hope, they will enjoy it :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

What would Marilyn Monroe and Princess Diana be doing if they were alive today?

Clawing at the lid of their coffin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

paddyandy wrote: »
    opinions mean absolutely n o t h i n g . Try the web !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's hard to imagine not existing, but as I won't exist, I won't have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

charlemont wrote: »
    Life itself being in existence is very suspicious, Too suspicious to not have a reason, I'v seen the face of a ghost before so I believe their is something going on that we are not usually aware of, We're probably not developed enough to fully understand it all yet, I reckon a lot depends on how we die and what emotions we were feeling at death. Think about dreams, Some feel so real that if you died in your sleep would you even know you're dead ?

One thing I reckon does exist is Hell, I'm sure its a pure kip too but it could be based on emotions of hate greed and bitterness.
    I'm getting to think that "Hell" is the world we live in, I'm really a crap atheist this week, but we had a death in the family this week and just seeing the devastation it leaves, even though she had a couple of mental/medical problems you think someone is going to be there forever and getting to grips with not seeing or been able to speak to that person is hard to think about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Check out The Granton Star Cause from that book.

Greatest love scene of all time.

Film version - NSFW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mdGQhyr0d8

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭lisaface

Our stone cold corpses shall live in ground (if you go for a burial) to be attacked like a spanish family having a sunday dinner!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well some actual non loony physicists have suggested one theory of reality. Namely that while physics would appear to put barriers in the way of time travel into the past, future hyper civilisations of our descendants may construct near perfect immersive simulations of the past and we could be living in one now. In these simulations the vast majority of us would be hypersprites, actually conscious sims while a tiny few would be "players". Maybe those players are the rare ones who have near death experiences as they come out of the simulation. The ones who don't are the sims. Or maybe we're all such players in the game? **** knows :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well some actual non loony physicists have suggested one theory of reality. Namely that while physics would appear to put barriers in the way of time travel into the past, future hyper civilisations of our descendants may construct near perfect immersive simulations of the past and we could be living in one now. In these simulations the vast majority of us would be hypersprites, actually conscious sims while a tiny few would be "players". Maybe those players are the rare ones who have near death experiences as they come out of the simulation. The ones who don't are the sims. Or maybe we're all such players in the game? **** knows :D

Actually, the effective likelihood of that being true will grow dramatically on the day when we ourselves can do it, as if we can do something, then it could already have been done and could in fact be what we perceive as truth.

****ed up, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

You go to heaven, or hell. Simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Explosions in the Sky

Karsini wrote: »
    Nothing, I'd think. Humans can't comprehend the idea of "nothing" - when we think of nothing we think darkness, but even darkness is something.
    Now that sentence is something

Wibbs wrote: »

My mind just went boom!

• Advertisement
Advertisement