Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone have French notes on..

• 25-03-2012 3:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Does anyone have notes on Emigration? - even in English - I'll translate them myself.

I've looked through my oral book, textbook, revision book and I've searched the internet but haven't found anything that's really relevant to the way it's been asked in the exam.

par exemple: 2010 HL French Q.1 (B)
    Certains disent que l'émigration est la solution pour les jeunes en Irlande aujourd'hui. Expliquez pouquoi vous e^tes pour ou contre ce point de vue.
    mock Q. from this year:
    << Le taux d'émigration en Irlande a augmenté ces derniers années. Nous devons faire face a ce probleme >> Qu'en pensez-vous?

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 hiyakeano

skoool.ie has some good notes on it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭grantyrs10

This is my answer to mock question it got 30 out of 30. please excuse lack of accent graves as i dont know how to type them

Biensur, tout le monde sait que le taux d'émigration en irlande augmente et a augmenté. C'est vrai a dire qu'on doit faire face a ce probleme. J'ai l'intention de discuter pourquoi l'émigration augmente,mon expérience personnelle et ce qu'on doit faire pour résoudre ce probleme.

L'émigration existe en irlande par suite de la crise économique. Il n'y a pas d'argent dans le pays. C'est une désastre! On est au chomage et on mets les impots sur les ouvriers. Il n'y a pas d'emplois ici également. Alors,on n'a pas un choix, Il faut qu'on quitte ce pays pour trouver du travail a l'étranger.

Le probleme de l'émigration est vraiment triste. On doit quitter sa famille,ses amis,sa vie quoi! Mon frere a quitté ici il y a deux ans parce qu'il s'est trouvé au chomage, il n'y avait rien ici pour lui. Maintenant, je lui manque et je voudrais améliorer la situation pour qu'il puisse rentrer en irlande.

Comment peut-on résoudre ce fléau de l'émigration ? Eh bien,Il faut qu'on fasse quelque chose pour éliminer l'émigration completement. On peut tenter de créér des embauches en irlande,sinon, les gens continueront émigrer de ce pays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

grantyrs10 wrote: »

Le probleme de l'émigration est vraiment triste. On doit quitter sa famille,ses amis,sa vie quoi! Mon frere a quitté ici il y a deux ans parce qu'il s'est trouvé au chomage, il n'y avait rien ici pour lui. Maintenant, je lui manque et je voudrais améliorer la situation pour qu'il puisse rentrer en irlande.
    Shouldn't that be 'il me manque'?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Namlub wrote: »
    Shouldn't that be 'il me manque'?

Unless the poster is trying to say "he misses me" then yes, it should be il me manque!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Unless the poster is trying to say "S/he misses me" then yes, it should be il me manque!
    I'm not saying you're wrong because google translate just said it too, but how does il me manque mean 'I miss him' if il means he, me means me and manque means miss?

I can see it if manquer means to lack but it seems to just translate as miss :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

You conjugate manquer with the subject before the pronoun...and even if it was conjugated normally, 'je lui manque' still wouldn't be right, if the poster's trying to say what I think he's saying. Hmmm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I'm not saying you're wrong because google translate just said it too, but how does il me manque mean 'I miss him' if il means he, me means me and manque means miss?

I can see it if manquer means to lack but it seems to just translate as miss :confused:

For whatever way the verb translates, what you have to say is "He is missed by me" instead of "I miss him", so its "Il me manque".

Namlub wrote: »
    You conjugate manquer with the subject before the pronoun...and even if it was conjugated normally, 'je lui manque' still wouldn't be right, if the poster's trying to say what I think he's saying. Hmmm...
    For whatever way the verb translates, what you have to say is "He is missed by me" instead of "I miss him", so its "Il me manque".

Ah, so its kinda like 'he makes me miss him' or something I guess :P Thats confusing!

Thanks guys, and sorry for the slightly off-topic question, I thought this was the LC 11/12 off-topic thread somehow :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Ah, so its kinda like 'he makes me miss him' or something I guess :P Thats confusing!

Thanks guys, and sorry for the slightly off-topic question, I thought this was the LC 11/12 off-topic thread somehow :o

I dunno it's confusing. I miss you would be tu me manques and you miss me is je te manque. It's like 'you are lacking from me' or something, since manquer sorta means to lack.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BellaVerita

That's really helpful! Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 sarahm1994

Yeah our teacher tells us to read it like "he is missed to me" and that stops you from forgetting it, it kind of works cause it's so weird :) all reflexive verbs centre around something being "done" to you, so it's like Je m'appelle - you are being called, it's "reflexing" back onto you... Sorry if that makes no sense but that's how we're taught it! :)

The sentence "je lui manque" is correct, it just means "he misses me"
    Which is just as likely as "il me manque" I miss him.

The sentence "je lui manque" is correct, it just means "he misses me"
    Which is just as likely as "il me manque" I miss him.
    But would it not be je le manque?

But would it not be je le manque?

Nope, it explains it pretty well on French.About:

http://french.about.com/od/grammar/a/manquer.htm

Nope, it explains it pretty well on French.About:

http://french.about.com/od/grammar/a/manquer.htm

Ah, so it does! :) I just wasnt sure because I didnt realize the à was there. :P

Advertisement