Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia info

Options
  • 25-03-2012 7:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

Things you might want to know.

The tax year runs from July/June. Arriving before January 1st will make you tax resident in Australia for the financial year entitling you to the first $6000 earned tax free and 6000-30000 at 15% other wise any money earned will be taxed at a rate of 30%. You can also get cheap flights just before new years eve. If your just here for a year travelling at this time also splits your working year into two tax years so you pay virtually no tax. However December/January is the hardest time to find employment as the culture here more relaxed and people are going on holidays, students and schools are off which take up alot of the temp employment.

For employment I can only speak about the situation in Perth and the bureaucratic nature of the timely process for skills recognition.

2nd year visas can be obtained by doing 88 days specified work in regional Australia. The work can be in the mines, oil and gas, construction, etc.. not just farming.

Applying before you leave for jobs can get your name out there and possibly set up an interview but most wont be interested in wasting resources and making appointments if you haven’t got an Australian address or phone number.

Firstly opening a bank account can be done before you arrive.

A TFN(Tax File Number) will be needed for any employment. Takes about a week in the post and is free.

An ABN(Australian Business Number) is handy as some employers prefer this method of employing individuals as its less hassel for them(They don’t have to leally pay OT, holidays their tax etc..). Its free to obtain online and instantly available once registered. You are responsible for paying any tax due at the end of the year. Its alot simpler than it sounds and is a very common method of employment in construction.

For unskilled labour. Theres a few agencies that dish out work every morning but these places are packed and priority is given to those with relevant Australian courses and the length of time the individuals have been hanging around, some weeks.

To be allowed to work on a building site you`ll need a white card, $50 online exam don’t bother reading all the bureaucratic nonsense and just go straight to the questions you can get them wrong as many times as you want. The same goes for the responsible alcohol training. The card takes a day or two but you`ll be employable once a number has been issued to you in an e-mail.

A full Irish drivers licence can be swapped for an Australian Licence without additional exams the process takes about 2 weeks and costs about $70 for a 1 year licence.

Any light or heavy ridged licence or similar aren’t transferable so exams, lessons and tests are needed. The process can be done in a couple of weeks not sure about the cost.

A forklift licence can be obtained without experience on a one day course for a cost of up to $200 the licence takes about a week. This coupled with transport for reaching factories outside public transport routes is one of the easiest ways of finding employment.

Big companies, generally stay away from people on working holiday visas as they don’t see the point in training you up for just 6 months work. If your professionally qualified with experience you may land a temp position but for those with no experience and just degrees it by no means easy. Any qualifications will have to be assessed by the relevant authority here. Australian held qualifications are given priority over here as they should be.

Recruitment agencies can sometimes help individuals find employment but don’t get your hopes up as all they do is apply to jobs on your behalf.

For tradies, its best to get your ARTC( Australian Recognition Trades Certificate) before you arrive as it will save you waiting 30 working days plus postage times. Either send it to a hostel you plan to stay in, a friend or just apply to the TRA for another cert when you arrive. The application costs $300 and for another cert its roughly $150.

For electricians this can be used in any states to apply for a course or exam needed to obtain your A grade licence. The quickest and easiest state to do this in is South Australia however their licence is not fully accepted in WA or Victoria presently meaning you`ll have to sit further exams to obtain a WA A grade or equivalent in Victoria.

In WA your ARTC is sent along with $100 to Energysafe WA to obtain an electrical workers number and a letter of approval for your course, this process takes 4 weeks. The number will enable you to book into the course needed some places will take pre-bookings without the letter or number although you need the letter and number to do the course and sit the exam.

The courses are 1 to 2 weeks long and range in price from $1700-$1200 respectively. At the moment places are available on the courses with a couple of weeks wait.

On successful completion of the course, the results alcong side an application to Energysafe and $400 and a 3-4 wait you will be presented with your WA A Grade Licience.

All cost of courses, books and application costs can be 80%-90% deducted from your annual tax return :).

Accommodation is a nightmare to find in Perth even if you have the money so be prepared to get comfortable in a hostel.

The standard of living here depends on if youve come here to save or whatever, a packet of tobacco $15 some $10 goon or $35 slab will get you through the weekend. Accommodation in a dorm can be got $110-$140 a week. If you know where to shop food about $60 a week.

Its not getting easier to come here financially with the euro fooked and its not getting easier to find a job here either. I would proceed with caution, but if you have the funds and prepared for all the bull**** and waiting its a decent bet for salaries that can be obtained over here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Very useful info . Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

I know for a fact you cannot get an NSW RSA cert online and must attend a one day course. I think it's the same for QLD and VIC. Just wanted to say this as I know a few people who were stung paying $100 course fees online in Ireland only to find out their certs were useless.

I'm nearly certain the white card is a 3 day course and again must be taken in person for NSW, QLD and VIC.

Also, you can be declared a resident for tax purposes no matter when you arrive. I landed in March and got all my tax back in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭eire2009

Batgurl wrote: »
    I know for a fact you cannot get an NSW RSA cert online and must attend a one day course. I think it's the same for QLD and VIC. Just wanted to say this as I know a few people who were stung paying $100 course fees online in Ireland only to find out their certs were useless.

I'm nearly certain the white card is a 3 day course and again must be taken in person for NSW, QLD and VIC.

Also, you can be declared a resident for tax purposes no matter when you arrive. I landed in March and got all my tax back in July.

You have to be 6 months or more to be declared tax resident otherwise you are considered foreign tax resident.

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.aspx?doc=/content/12333.htm&mnu=42904&mfp=001/002

You can still claim tax back for whatever reasons.

Ive only been in WA so dont know about other states.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I appreciate what the OPs doing here, but am going to move this to the Australia forum, 'cos I think the mods there have more expereince knowing what's what, and what advice we give on boards.

Will leave a permanent re-direct, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Note: you do not have to be in Australia for 6 months before you can be classed as a resident for tax purposes.
    You can be one as soon as you start working if your intentsion is to work and live in one place for most of 6 months. The important word there is intent. This contract is between you and the ATO.
    Use this tool to determine http://calculators.ato.gov.au/scripts/axos/axos.asp?CONTEXT=&KBS=Resident.XR4&go=ok

Also you can swap your Irish licence, but in NSW you need to have your full one for 3 years for a full NSW one.
    This take be done by a trip to RTA and takes a few hours.

Thanks OP for the info though, a lot is covered in the FAQ but you certainly have more detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

eire2009 wrote: »
    A full Irish drivers licence can be swapped for an Australian Licence without additional exams the process takes about 2 weeks and costs about $70 for a 1 year licence.

That's handy! What happens when it expires after 1 year? Can you just re-apply for another 1 year license or do you have to sit a test?

That's handy! What happens when it expires after 1 year? Can you just re-apply for another 1 year license or do you have to sit a test?

If you are on a temp visa (WHV, 457) you can only get 1 year, if you turn to a resident you can apply for up to 5 year licence

But to reapply just go in with fill out form to RTA and renew.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

eire2009 wrote: »
    You have to be 6 months or more to be declared tax resident otherwise you are considered foreign tax resident.

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.aspx?doc=/content/12333.htm&mnu=42904&mfp=001/002

You can still claim tax back for whatever reasons.

Ive only been in WA so dont know about other states.
    No you don't. If you intend on being there for more than 6 months tend you can be a tax resident.
    ie Arrive in may, after 6 weeks, do a tax return with the intention of being a resident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

There a two steps to getting a license.

1) Get an age card. for this you need, Passport (with a Visa label), proof of address. This takes about a week to get
    Bring your license on this day and have them send it to Ireland for verification.

2)Wait for you age card to arrive and go back in with all the documentation and apply for your license. Takes another 10 days to arrive.

Sundy wrote: »
    There a two steps to getting a license.

1) Get an age card. for this you need, Passport (with a Visa label), proof of address. This takes about a week to get
    Bring your license on this day and have them send it to Ireland for verification.

2)Wait for you age card to arrive and go back in with all the documentation and apply for your license. Takes another 10 days to arrive.
    You don't need a visa label for an age card/ID card. Just passport and proof of address.
    And mine took 15 mniutes to get not a week.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    You don't need a visa label for an age card/ID card. Just passport and proof of address.
    And mine took 15 mniutes to get not a week.

No your right but you need it for the drivers license.

Your not in WA are you? Guess every state differs but in Perth they will only post out the age card.

NSW, called into the RTA, has it in my hand a short while later.

No your right but you need it for the drivers license.

Your not in WA are you? Guess every state differs but in Perth they will only post out the age card.
    Not 100% accurate, you may need an age card, but EFPOS, credit card, medicare are all in the same category.

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/20669.asp
    How to apply for a Western Australian licence
    To apply for a Western Australian driver's licence you will need to personally attend a Driver and Vehicle Services Centre or regional Agent.

Please ensure you take the following documentation with you:

*current overseas driver’s licence;
    *proof of identity
    *proof of your WA residential address;
    *one document that shows your signature; and
    the application fee (refer to schedule of fees below).

and proof of identity is here
    http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/LBU_FS_POIExamples.pdf

God WA really seems strict.
    NSW I needed a passport, a bill and my Irish licence

hussey wrote: »
    Not 100% accurate, you may need an age card, but EFPOS, credit card, medicare are all in the same category.

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/20669.asp

and proof of identity is here
    http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/LBU_FS_POIExamples.pdf

God WA really seems strict.
    NSW I needed a passport, a bill and my Irish licence

Yeah problem is you need two category C items and most WHV will find it easiest to get the age card & EFPOS over the other forms.

Yeah problem is you need two category C items and most WHV will find it easiest to get the age card & EFPOS over the other forms.

But WHV don't need an Aussie driving licence, only residents do.

hussey wrote: »
    But WHV don't need an Aussie driving licence, only residents do.
    Gez man if you really want to find a problem with what im saying fine but quite a few employers want you to have a WA license.

I'm only trying to help those who do.

Gez man if you really want to find a problem with what im saying fine but quite a few employers want you to have a WA license.

I'm only trying to help those who do.

Sorry I misread you, I wasn't trying to pick a problem, was just pointing out for those who don't need it, don't have to, I didn't see the link as to why WHV needed a licence, obviously it's clear now! Apologies if that came across as pedantic, but there is a big rumour mill about Australia life. Just just wanted be clear!

No problem. I was only recounting the experience I had to go through to get my license here in Perth.

The age card is a really handy thing to have anyway as it saves you dragging your passport out everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Qld need 100 points of ID (e.g passport, bank card/Medicare card, bill to home address). The swap takes about 10 days - they take your old licence, issue you a paper temp version and post the new licence out to you.

Vic was just a swap-while-you-wait, but still needed 100 points of ID.

been away for a bit, you need a full licence, and passport that gents sent back to oul eire.. You`ll need a proof of age card to apply for one is a bank statement and passport. You go back once your licience is verified and show the proof of age card, passport, bank statement or tax cert poof of address and bank card to get the licence. You can pay for a 5 year if you wish but a 1 year is $37 and to renew it costs the same there a verification fee of about the same which is added to either.

Takes about a week.

Side note work here is drying up and the americans just got approved wh visas so you do the math. Id say Canada is the better option for the future, to get into any of the big industries requires a lot of courses, previous experience, time and luck. Its not easy here in WA still a good gamble compared to most places but you need a fair oul lump sum just to get your foot in the door into any of the big payers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Erinclarekelly

you seem to know lots of useful info!
    I have a higher cert in legal studies and was thinking finishing my degree before i head over. just wondering if you had any idea of this being any use to me in oz as i learn about irish law?? is it worth my while doing it or will i be able to get a job in oz with the degree???
    any help would be greatly appreciated :)

you seem to know lots of useful info!
    I have a higher cert in legal studies and was thinking finishing my degree before i head over. just wondering if you had any idea of this being any use to me in oz as i learn about irish law?? is it worth my while doing it or will i be able to get a job in oz with the degree???
    any help would be greatly appreciated :)

It wont be impossible, but you`ll find it hard without an Australian degree or experience I would assume their laws are different in many areas. The working holiday visa also limits you to 6 months working with a company so its not really worth their while training you up.

Ive no idea about the law jobs here thats just the obvious disadvantages you have.

Be prepared to work at anything though if you do decide the trip as Euro`s don't last long here your going to need to make Aussie bucks fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Erinclarekelly

Thanks !!

Advertisement